RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
orenda635
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike P

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy
"Taxiing Out"
"Taking Off"
"Joining Downwind"
"Landing"
"On Final"
"Clear of the Active"
"Going Around"
"Low and Over"
"High Speed Pass"
"I ain't got it"
You got the last one wrong. It should be "OH S--T!"

My pet peve at the field is when I call out intentions but others don't acknowledge me. A simple OK will suffice so I know that they know what I'm doing.

I usually don't fly my electric when the gas planes are up. I like to fly by myself and also I can't hear the motor running when people have noisy engines going. I've never had problems though, except some guys make fun of me for how slow it goes.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 PM   #12
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Simply announce your intentions...let the other guys know what you are doing..

Gliders are a great teacher on how aerodynamics work.I learned a lot from them, including not to panic when I have a real dead stick in a powered model. That is the type of knowledge I am really glad to have, and have put it to good use on several occasions

I have flown in some bizzarre mixes of aircraft types, but as long as everyone commucates, there is no problem avoiding conflicts..

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I have flown with a complete mix of aircraft except electric with no problems. The big word here is "COMUNICATION". Anyways if you have a discussion amongst yourselves there would not be a problem.
John

Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
planeswithwings

i always thought that dead stick means- every one look hes gonna crash.. LOL but the only time that i have flown at a real flying field was when i was taking lessons.... the planes that we were flyiing didnt look 2 good... more 1/4" playwood than balsa.... they has 40 sized engines and some wayed a good 10 pounds... landings were fast dead sticks were fast. take offs were almost inpossible... well not really but they were no 6 pound planes...
planeswithwings is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
Dzlstunter
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

At our field, I fly electrics, diesel Texaco, and conventional RC planes. The Texaco and a glow-powered glider I have always land "deadstick." The club rule is to announce intentions which may affect other fliers--such as "Taking off" or "Landing" or "On the field" (to recover a plane). Anyone who has seen the planes which land without power surely must understand that you may make an extra circle in the approach process in order to kill off some altitude. If someone didn't "get it," it would be my job to explain it to him so that there are no misunderstandings in the future. So far, it has not been necessary as everyone there is enjoying watching to see whether or not I can hit the field THIS time! Good luck, Dzl
Old 01-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #16
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony
Gliders are a great teacher on how aerodynamics work.I learned a lot from them, including not to panic when I have a real dead stick in a powered model. That is the type of knowledge I am really glad to have, and have put it to good use on several occasions.
How true. As a full scale glider pilot, as with a model glider, since you only have one shot at landing you learn quickly how to really make those count.

When gliding I always make sure my approach is high then once I am certain I am going to make the field I do some pretty wild sideslipping to bleed off the altitude and hold it there to just before touchdown when I kick opposite rudder to straighten her out. It's perfectly safe but usually scares the caca out of the passenger in the back seat if they have never flown before!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:12 AM   #17
j-coles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony
Gliders are a great teacher on how aerodynamics work.I learned a lot from them, including not to panic when I have a real dead stick in a powered model. That is the type of knowledge I am really glad to have, and have put it to good use on several occasions.
How true. As a full scale glider pilot, as with a model glider, since you only have one shot at landing you learn quickly how to really make those count.

When gliding I always make sure my approach is high then once I am certain I am going to make the field I do some pretty wild sideslipping to bleed off the altitude and hold it there to just before touchdown when I kick opposite rudder to straighten her out. It's perfectly safe but usually scares the caca out of the passenger in the back seat if they have never flown before!

you being a glider pilot must also have an understanding of the kind of performance that were talking about if i am flying a fully molded glider then behaps you could enlighten some as to how challenging it can be to land with-in some of our fields

thermals apon landing etc can alter your intent to land also requiring dramatic last minute alterations in your flight path to stay with in these fields

at this perticular field your final approach you must fly between trees on either side of the field so wallowing around doing figure eights at the end of the field is sometimes needed

j-coles
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2
I really think you should take some time to educate the other pilots. If they have some idea of how you fly, they will not get irritated when you do something unexpected like hang in a landing zone.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #19
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
I'm old, I guess...

I learned to fly r/c, it was with s/c and 049s, and EVERY landing was dead stick, it went with the territory. Same thing later with sailplanes and SYS: nothing like trying to execute a full-bore landing, particularly with no landing gear... :P

I used to fly a HoB P39, and enjoyed it immensely (now discontinued). The guys from the Club showed up to laugh at our "toy airplanes" (nothing out there bigger than a 15 diesel), and I had the P39 doing fine; after most of the fuel was gone, I climbed up until it was just a dot when it ran out of fuel. "Deadstick!! Deadstick!!" as I dove straight down towards the field, and the regulars kept doing what they were doing, but the Club members were diving into cars, under trucks, etc., as the P39, nearly invisible streaked down. At ~150' I pulled it up into a couple of loops, a roll or two, and inverted pass as a downwind, and landed. The Club guys only came back to fly their big models, thereby losing us another field...

Unless you are flying alone, keep your neck and eyeballs on swivels, then you are seldom caught by surprise!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #20
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
I stuck a pod and a Norvell .061 on the top of my GP Spirit back when I first built it, and showed up at the field to try this new (to me) kind of flying. I got it fueled , started, launched, airborne and eventually aloft. Just as I was starting to get comfortable the little engine consumed the last of its fuel and died.

I almost paniced when one of the club jokers yelled out "DEAD STICK!" I didn't know what to do at first, then I realized he meant me and my sailplane. There he is, nearly rolling on the ground, and I am trying to get my heart rate back to normal.

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in