Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Lash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Lashl
Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Total Props: 2

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here's my small change on this. I have 3 ST's- a 45, a 61 and a 90. They are all really good engines and I have zero problems with starting, tuning or anything else. No deadsticks- no complaints. But- I have also been running glow engines a long time. I think that for your first engine you need something that will look after itself and not require the tuning and adjusting that ST's need to run properly. The guys here telling you to look at the GMS engines are right on I think. I can't comment on how they run as I have never owned one. But they know and I think it would be a good choice. They are cheap, and they run well. Learn how to tune an engine later, but buy one that is easy to run now and get a bunch of flying in. I don't think you will regret it.
MAAC #7169
ProBro #2348
Lash is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
jkaz
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
i had a a g2300 or 1.40 version and it was super strong when running correctly but was a real pain to tune not impossible but some experience with tuning two stroke glow motors would really help i'm going to get pounced on for this but i think it actually had more power than my current saito 1.80 four stroke?? there were on different planes so that might have been the difference if this is your first flow model i would advise against buying one even tho the prices are hard to beat for your first glow model i would definatly take the advise of others and purchase what the guys/gals your flying with are used to dealing with this will cost more likely but the headache involved with tuning one of these motors will drive you slightly crazy it did me and i'm already crazy not to mention the amount of dmg i did to the wild stick it was hucking through the sky at the time from dead sticking the landings on a regular basis i was just getting the tuning right when i biffed it into the dirt and bent the crank and muffler too much to fix would more economical to replace so i didn't fix it

don't get me wrong they are great motors in the right application if i where to get a big warbird or something that's would be flown with a steadier throttle then i wouldn't hesitate to purchase one

as far as a twist for a second plane the twist would be a great one never flown one but on low rates 3d type plane tend to be very docile and slow then you can crank up the rates when you feel comfortable

hope that helps
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
I have an electrfied Twist 3D and it can be a pussycat. Set the throws about half of what they call for till you get a handle on it. Very good low speed characteristics, in other words it won't dump a wing on you unexpectedly and can be landed at a very low speed. That's what low wing loading does for you.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #14
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor

I am: Mark B

Thanks for more replies.
I definately don't want an engine that I have to fool around with all the time to keep running right.
For the times I have been over watching these guys fly, not once have I ever seen one of them adjust a carb.
Tomorrow night is club fly night so weather permitting I will get more opinions.

Mark
Short Circuit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #15
skypupnut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
super tigers re great engines
RTFB
do a proper breakin, RTFB
use the recomanded fuel, RTFB
they will reward you with great performance, long lasting performance
if you read TFB how to set up the carb
RTFB = read the fabulous boo0k
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #16
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
For a trainer or stunt plane you also want to avoid speed.

My favourite prop for a .46, trainer or stunt is an APC 12.25x3.75.
(DIAxPitch) Pitch affects airspeed, Diameter affects 'grip' on the air.
Lower pitch means lower speed, then you need to find a prop that fits the power output of the engine (there are calculators online, then you have to test fly them yourself to find the right 'feel')

This allows you to accelerate hard to get out of bad situations, but is less likely to allow you to fly too fast for the plane (those large control surfaces will flutter and break right off).

Keep in mind that if you get into trouble with a trainer and are two mistakes high all you have to do is center the controls. A twist will continue falling until you (or the ground/tree/spectator/victim) actively stop it, and twist itself into the dirt.

Although I haven't flown a twist I imagine it's much like my Funtana; in that it goes exactly where you point it, much more fun than a trainer.

IMNSHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
IMO/IMHO/IMNSHO/IMAO — In my (humble / honest / not so humble / arrogant) opinion
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor

No flying tonight....waaaayyyy too windy.
RTFB
What book are we talking about here????? The manual that comes with the engine ????
Moo, I have read that many people use that prop on their Twist. For the calculator, do you have to include the weight of the plane too?
I haven't flew 2 mistakes high for a bit. I have been practicing my low flying lately.
I know it is gonna be a different puppy to fly and I am really looking forward to it.
It always seems to be windy here and when I fly the SuperCub it never seems to self right anyways, it never has.
I see GMS has a .61 engine for $100
Will it fit in a Twist ???

Mark
Old 07-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #18
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Most engines come with a manual (book). The engine should come with a manual that explains how to set up the carb to get to "factory" settings.

Don't put too mush power in the Twist. It is not required. A decent 46 should be lots. My buddy had one as his second plane. He learned more with that airplane and had fun doing it.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #19
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94
My sentiments exactly. Don't overpower it. A good ballbearing .46/.47 will be tons. Both my 3D planes, the same size as the Twist, are powered with .46/.47. One O.S. the other GMS. Both fly extreamly well.

Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor

I know, I know LOL that's why there's a wink behind the question !!!!
I am willing to give the GMS .47 engine a try though.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in