transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities - Page 74 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #731
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Re: transport Canada Regulations Limit Model Aviation Activities

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsiuss View Post
That comment right there shows how the FPV crowd wants to control everything, and that you would instantly think only of yourselfs and not the entire community. Sharpey has repeatedly said that MAAC was just a tiny spec during the entire law making process, but your crowd doesn't want to hear any of that! You guys just want to blame other people as though it was THEM that were breaking so many laws before they really became law.

The FPV crowd had the chance to prove you would follow the suggested guidelines, but instead you proved how you just don't care(until now)

Referring back to the your quote.. this will ensure that even more MAAC clubs tightly close the doors in your face.
Yes, for instance some non profit antique car clubs etc restrict your voting to prevent just the threat you are referring to. members don'tvhave avvote until a year passes. Threats like the post you refer to are just plain stupidity by a few nuts.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:51 AM   #732
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1993 View Post
Did MAAC insurance cover members if they were flying outside a MAAC field ? Speaking of insurance can someone tell me what it costs currently and which companies offer it at all. Lastly the part about getting permission to fly your drone on private property I'm thinking that very few owners that are not into model aircraft are going to allow you to use their property when their own insurance most likely doesn't cover it.
Start doing your insurance homework and let us know.??
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #733
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Insurance never has nor ever will prevent incidents from happening. If that were the case car accidents would have stopped happening years ago. Insurance will also never reverse the consequences of that incident. There is far too much emphasis put on insurance in my view. Insurance is nothing more than a security blanket for FEAR!

As many have already said here, far more would be accomplished if the emphasis were focused on education and competency.

A competent person can be trusted to fly safely nearly anywhere. An idiot will be a hazard in a padded cell!

Old 03-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #734
chrispol
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chris
Radio of choice:
18Mz
# of RCs: 8+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
A competent person can be trusted to fly safely nearly anywhere. An idiot will be a hazard in a padded cell!

Sorry this i do not agree with, A competent person would know there is always a risk when flying and would not fly anywhere.
chrispol is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #735
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

You always needed permission from land owners to fly the only difference is now you can be charged for not asking for that permission . Getting fields for Fixed wing planes has always been the biggest issue and yes very few will allow this type of activity . In some cases if you have enough members and charge fees you can offer land owners a payment for use of there land but they will want proof of insurance from MMAC to allow you to fly. In the past I am not so sure that MAAC would have covered you even if you were very careful if not at a sanctioned or offered by owner field . but now it would seem it's not legal to do so anyway so careful or not it's no longer allowed and again you could now be charged.. Before you might get from the police ,we have a noise complaint you have to go if you bothered someone float flying. . now they have the right to charge you if the area is not sanctioned or offered by the land owner complaint or not...
cheers Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang1993 View Post
Did MAAC insurance cover members if they were flying outside a MAAC field ? Speaking of insurance can someone tell me what it costs currently and which companies offer it at all. Lastly the part about getting permission to fly your drone on private property I'm thinking that very few owners that are not into model aircraft are going to allow you to use their property when their own insurance most likely doesn't cover it.

Last edited by RAMJET; 03-30-2017 at 09:42 AM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #736
Hatch
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dylan L.

Total Props: 14

MAAC insurance covers you if you're flying outside a MAAC field with the landowner's or controlling authority's permission.

There are still places you can do this, so long as you meet all the other restrictions in the new law.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #737
Canstarman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lawrence B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargon View Post
If he did all he could to avoid it...YES...
The thing about flying a Radian E glider is that your not catching any thermals until your flying above 400 ft agl and the fun part is taking that thermal up to 1000 ft agl. Therefore on a good day your usually flying between 400 ft up to 1000 ft. So if you hit a plane up there , you were purposely flying at that altitude and MAAC insurance probably won't cover you.
Canstarman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #738
Canstarman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lawrence B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
MAAC insurance covers you if you're flying outside a MAAC field with the landowner's or controlling authority's permission.

There are still places you can do this, so long as you meet all the other restrictions in the new law.
Do you have that in writing somewhere.
The biggest challenge with the new rules is staying more than 250 ft from animals. No sweat for me because I'll just do a vertical take off straight up to 275 ft agl and do all my flying between 275 ft and 300 ft and then when I'm finished flying ,I just have to do a vertical landing .
Canstarman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #739
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Give MAAC a call tell them where you fly and get the ok from them .That is there purpose to help insure you are covered by flying in a safe place .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canstarman View Post
Do you have that in writing somewhere.
The biggest challenge with the new rules is staying more than 250 ft from animals. No sweat for me because I'll just do a vertical take off straight up to 275 ft agl and do all my flying between 275 ft and 300 ft and then when I'm finished flying ,I just have to do a vertical landing .
Old 03-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #740
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I think what we need is to be seen as a valid hobby like base ball fields or hockey rinks . why is it the gear head that always has to search for some lost wilderness field in the middle of nowhere to fly . I think townships could do a better job of helping support all hobbies .I live in a little town and it has a ball park that I have never seen being used in years. I asked if the township would supply some property for a field and got no reply.I am sure given the place to do it many young kids would benefit. If your not a hockey player or baseball fan in my town you are out of luck. I drive 2 hr to fly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in