Quadra 35 won't idle? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Total Props: 0
Quadra 35 won't idle?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey everybody. I ran up my converted chainsaw motor tonight (which is identical to a Quadra 35) however the engine would not idle. It would barely run at a very fast idle but it would not idle as low as it should. I changed the plug and it made no difference. I played with the high and low speed needles at every seting possible and it helped however it did not cure the problem. It is running a Zinger 18 x 6-14 and the fuel tank was setting 2 feet above the carburetor!. When the engine was warm it would not start unless the the engine was turning over (with an electric starter) and my finger was place over the carburetor to give it some choke. This procedure was repeated several times and in every case the engine would not start unless my finger was over the carb. Once the engine started it ran great at high speed and midthrottle however as soon as the throttle was brought back down to idle it would die. Could it be that i need a new carburetor kit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

I just had simular trouble with my poulan. It turned out to be a dirty carb, you have to be absolutely sure that all the passages are clean and free of old gas goop. You should be able to clean er up yourself, a kit shouldn't be neccessary unless you rip a gasket taking the carb apart. Just take the carb off the engine remove both ends and start blasting with carb cleaner, make sure the little screen under the pumping diaphram is real clean too. Good luck to ya.
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Check for air leaks around the carb gaskets as well.

JMHO
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
chuck_zc
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Charlie L.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Total Props: 2
Check the crank seals as well
chuck_zc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:46 AM   #5
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
If you say you have to choke it when it's hot, sounds like a seal leak. When the engine is hot, the seals get soft and suck air in easily when they are worn. Also if it's wet around the flange where the bottom of the crankcase bolts on, it needs to be resealed. Take a seal to a bearing supplier. They should be able to duplicate it. Liquid gasket maker should be available there too, for the crankcase. Hope this helps.
Gord.
PS. If it's what I think it is the Quadra seals should work.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:03 AM   #6
Rob
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Rob

Does it have pumped carb on it. it could also be a week diapharm in the carb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in