Baja Polishing Project is complete... But like some feedback on... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
1/5 Scale RC Car & Truck All things related to the larger side of the hobby.

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
The ROC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: R.C.

Total Props: 0
Baja Polishing Project is complete... But like some feedback on...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well I finally motivated myself to quickly complete the de-anodizing, polishing and reassemble my Baja. I'm happy with the end result but will say that given the chance to do it over again I won't do it as the polishing part is really messy working with the polishing compound.

Although the final desision is up to me but would like to know what everyone thinks... does my Baja look better with the body on or body off. If the Baja looks better with the body on I do plan on repianting the exterior side of the body with matte black for that "Stealth" look.

Current upgrades:

- CY 27cc motor
- HPI Tuned Pipe
- ATX Front Windshield
- ABEC 5 Pro Bearing Kit
- Outerwears

Cheers.
The ROC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
venom813
RCC Senior Contributor

Not bad....now get it dirty. I am at the final stages of polishing as well.

What polishing compound did you use? I used jewelers tripoli and Mothers billet polish to finish.

I try to use latex gloves...reduces the mess a little bit.

Garage: Baja 5b, T-Maxx, TLT Trail truck, Clod based crawler, XXX-T MF1, Ducati 999R nitro, Mini-T, Micro-T, Hyper 7 TQ electic, and Stick'E' crawler.

www.venomspit.com
venom813 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Pipeous
RCC Pro Contributor

looks good without all that purple.

jeweller's rouge is my fav for finish polishing. I used to use autosol but was introduced to rouge and was amazed how shiny things got. cheap too at princess auto.
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
MONKEY
RCC Senior Contributor

With Body On

Great job! For me it looks better with the body on . All Rc's do!
MONKEY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
imported_dualityshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ROC View Post
Well I finally motivated myself to quickly complete the de-anodizing...
How do you de-anodize metal?
imported_dualityshift is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
The ROC
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom813 View Post
Not bad....now get it dirty. I am at the final stages of polishing as well.

What polishing compound did you use? I used jewelers tripoli and Mothers billet polish to finish.

I try to use latex gloves...reduces the mess a little bit.
It's a red bar of high gloss polishing compound that my wife uses to polish jewelery and I use it on the bench grinder, don't know the name of the product. I stop using the gloves cause it not only gets on the hands but all over the face and hair, I have raccoon eyes cause I'm wearing the safety goggles as well. Not only that but the compound gets on the floor and then I'm stepping on it and I leave a trail every where. Just messy especially when I'm working with so many parts. If it was warmer out side I would have done the polishing outside.

Anyhow, I'm all done now.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
The ROC
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualityshift View Post
How do you de-anodize metal?
2 most common product are: EZ Off over cleaner spray or Drano Crystals for unclogging drains.

I used Drano and at first I mixed it with warm water in a plastic bucket and let the parts soak for abit and the anodize starts to come off. Depending on how heavy a coating the anodize is will determine how long it takes for the color to come off.

I ended of doing it the fast way... Wear long sleeves, safety goggles and a new thick rubber dish washing gloves. Using my plastic laundry tub (not metal) I would wet the part and put the Drano crystal right on to the part and begin rubbing gentlely the part with my hands and you will see the anodize start dissolving. If the coating is heavy then it may take a couple of Drano washes before all the color is removed. Then I rinse the part with cold water and begin the polishing process. If you have sensitive hands then use caution as you will find the Drano gets very warm to hot in your hands. You may think it's eatting through the rubber glove but it didn't in my case.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
venom813
RCC Senior Contributor

The red one is red rouge usually used as a final polish to soft metals. Tripoli is a brown colour and is used before the red rouge. The tripoli cuts faster than the red rouge does. A 2 lb bar of tripoli at a jewelry supply store is about $6.

After using tripoli and red rouge, you can use it as a mirror....shiny.

Garage: Baja 5b, T-Maxx, TLT Trail truck, Clod based crawler, XXX-T MF1, Ducati 999R nitro, Mini-T, Micro-T, Hyper 7 TQ electic, and Stick'E' crawler.

www.venomspit.com
venom813 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
imported_dualityshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ROC View Post
2 most common product are: EZ Off over cleaner spray or Drano Crystals for unclogging drains.
Wow. That's awesome. Thanks for replying so quickly.

I think the wife will peak if I start using the laundry tub as my metalurgy station.
imported_dualityshift is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
imported_marcus

Better with Body on.
DON'T paint the outside though, it'll look crap after 3 minutes bashing. There's a reason you're suppossed to paint lexan on the inside, to protect the paint from being chipped/scratched etc.

Nice job on the de-anodising !!

Marcus
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in