chrisfoley
RCC Apprentice

I am: Chris F
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Air Hoggs Titan RC Conversion

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello All
Here is a little something I have been playing around with. Now keep in mind that it may not be pretty but it is only the prototype for my future conversion.

This is an Air Hoggs Titan Free Flight Glider which can be purchased at any Walmart for $5.00. The plane has a 4 foot wing span. A little boy next door got one for his birthday and once I saw it I thought wow what cheap RC Plane this would make. Just search You Tube and yo will see it has already been done.

I decided to go with a Park 400 motor and a 30 Amp Speed Controler. Powered by a 3C 2200 Lipo Battery and 5 Servos. This setup proved to make the plane quite nose heavy. I use the 1/3 therory to find the CG and came up with 2 1/2 inches from the leading edge closet to the fusage. I decided to hand launch at this point but will be adding wheels to future conversion.

I will be taking it to Wings of Wellington this coming Sunday for a maiden flight. Wish me luck. The only concern I have is with the CG and if it is correct for this plane. If anyone has any suggestion as to obtaining the correct CG's I would appreciate your input.

Here is a link to You Tube showing the initial Runup. If the link does not work just search you tube using ( Air Hoggs Runup )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_K55YHqCz8

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Titan3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	85120  
Attached Images

chrisfoley is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Air Hoggs Titan RC Conversion

Here is my effort to making this puppy an RC version.

I used a wire-cutter to cut the elevator straight and used a shish-kebab skewer to join the two halves together.

HXT500 5g servos all around.
Ailerons are TE stock with tape hinges.

Here is a close-up of the current install. I decide to forgo the rudder for now. Hopefully just ailerons/elevator will be enough.

The motor/ESC will be a 20A affair throwing an 8-6 slowfly GWS prop. I haven't figured the exact placement of the motor yet. I want it on the nose but so far my CG checks have shown the motor to be too far forward on the existing fuse. It may be best for me to cut about 2" off the nose before I mount the motor. If I do this, then the battery placement will be right on the CG.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in