North Winds in Ontario - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

Total Props: 0
Re: North Winds in Ontario

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Did you build your EZG as a pure sailplane? I have one its a handy sailplane. Which wind direction do you need for your hill? Where is the ski hill in Sudbury? I'd like to check it out on Google Earth.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Cass
RCC Apprentice

Its an ezp made by windrider, designed for slope only so yeah its sailplane check it out at http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?page=2&id=165 bottom of the page.

The ski hill faces NE or the North wind is ideal, im still searching for a south facing hill. The Ski hill is dead center of town . All the Com towers are on it.

Got an email from Dreamflight, they are making the Alula, may have to order one...

Dan
Cass is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

OK I was checking out Adanac ski hill by satellite view. Thats a busy hill for obstructions!
North winds again for the weekend forecast on WeatherNetwork. I'm off on Friday so I might go to Collingwood or perhaps check out Adanac. I found some nice pics of Granite Mountain on the SE shore of Ramsey Lake just past Moonbeam Beach. Not sure of the trail or road to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17101745.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	108327   Click image for larger version

Name:	16766539.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	108328  

Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Cass
RCC Apprentice

Hmm, not familiar with granite mountain, I will look into it.

Adanac has lots of obstructions but is close and convienient for me.
Really windy from the southwest today.

What site are you using for sat pictures?

Dan
Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I was on Google Earth. There are little icons which you click on for the pic.

I had a floating hloiday I was hoping to go to Collingwood Friday but the winds might swing east. Might be good Thursday afternoon till Friday mid day?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #16
Cass
RCC Apprentice

Wow, windy from the Southwest today. 12 gusting 22 knots. I found an excellent spot for these and possible west winds today behind the Tim Hortons in Garson . I have seen an old gravel pit from the air and decided to check it out. It was great, i had my EZ pro up for about half hour when some guy came with 3 dogs. The dogs were casing the plane along the crest of the slope. It took him a while to get control of them, so i called it quites. Great landing area and nice slope with a long draw down a treeless valley.

As far as winds for the weekend. Too early to tell yet. Tommorrow looks promising from the NE.

Dan
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

That sounds great. Is that on the south side of Falconbridge Rd ? How high is the slope?
It would be cool to check out some of the slopes in your area some day, let me know if you're interested. I could bring my Alula and other planes to try out. I always eyed the big hill across from the SMAC field( east side). Now with 2.4 its more feasible to try some sites.

Looks like some nice ridges that would need a NW wind around Baby and Daisy Lake about a km from HWY 17 on the SW bypass. Would be a good hike at the very least to check it out, especially during blueberry season!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
Cass
RCC Apprentice

The hill is covienently located behind Tim Hortons and the Falcon hotel on Falconbridge hwy. You park in the back of the falcon and follow a sand path past the locked gate and a short walk later is opens at the top of a bowl shaped hill above a long treeless valley that you cant see from the road.

Im up for slopeing if the wind is up anytime if im not working . My problem is i summer is our busy season so my schedule doesnt always work the way it is written. Im on for the next ten days and i travel for my job regularly last minute so i may be home or not on any given day. Would love to try and hookup though, fall is better and easier time for me.

Hey i have an Alula enroute as i type . Perfect for the light wind slope days.

On another note. I was thinking last night about a spot i saw In North Bay that may work out for North and south winds. (Im a pilot so i see lots of stuff ). If you go north on Hwy 11 past the truck stop and turn right, follow the road all the way to the end. In there somewhere is a large square hill (looks like an old landfill reclaimed) It may or may not work, as i couldnt judge the height of the hill. Might be worth checking out. If i get sent back to NB this weekend i will drop down and have a look for you . I am always scouting spots

Dan
Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

You will really like the Alula. Its a very versatile glider, very maneuverable.

The old landfill near the airport is not high enough for sloping and inline with the runways.The new landfill 15km north of the city is growing nicely, not sure about permission to fly there. Probably bears scrounging around too. Must be nice to see all them slopes from the air.

Winds for Collingwood are iffy for Friday but looking up for Sunday and Monday. I might take Monday off to fly and maybe even head down on Sunday/Saturday.

JB
Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Cass
RCC Apprentice

Too bad its not sloped enough. The runway it is inline with is no longer in use and has been decomisioned for airplane use. If the wind is from the SE like thursday it may have still worked nicely, south im not too sure but its out of the approach path for 18....

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in