MAAC / Transport Canada joint release - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
MAAC / Transport Canada joint release

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
News :

As many of you may know MAAC’s Transport Canada Advisory Group has been working very closely with TC to develop documentation to include and recognize MAAC’s long history of safe practices.
This is the first of the jointly created documents. We at MAAC support Transport Canada’s direction and guidance and are working together to help protect all while enjoying our hobby.

All members should be aware of the Transport Canada’s Guidelines which have links farther down this page.

MAAC/Transport Canada Document

Technical developments have expanded the scope of recreational model flying and resulted in new safety considerations for model aircraft operators. Recognizing this evolution, Transport Canada has issued guidance to encourage the safe use of model aircraft, drones and UAVs and protect the safety of other airspace users as well as people and property on the ground. This guidance is intended to encourage best practices in aviation safety among all model aircraft operators and to support compliance with a pilot’s legal requirements under the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs).

The Transport Canada guidance should be reviewed in conjunction with the specific MAAC guidelines and rules established for particular flight disciplines and available on the MAAC website. Where MAAC sanctioned fields are in use, or at MAAC sanctioned events, current flying procedures have a proven safety record, are CARs compliant and should continue to be followed. All MAAC members are encouraged to regularly review our safety practices and always apply common sense when operating an aircraft and to consult their club safety officer or zone director with any questions or concerns.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=900449
http://nouvelles.gc.ca/web/article-fr.do?900449

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3
Re: MAAC / Transport Canada joint release

Looks like we are good except for the 90 meter ceiling bit. ahh!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Permi_EN_Front.png
Views:	452
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	507698  
Old 12-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
Looks like we are good except for the 90 meter ceiling bit. ahh!
No, we are good to fly as per usual at MAAC sanctioned sites and MAAC sanctioned events.
The primary MAAC rules that apply at sanctioned sites and events are, Do Not Fly into Cloud. And Full Scale Aircraft have the right of way.

The 90 meter rule is Transport Canada's restriction for UAV's for all other locations outside sanctioned sites and events without an SFOC

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
No, we are good to fly as per usual at MAAC sanctioned sites and MAAC sanctioned events.
The primary MAAC rules that apply at sanctioned sites and events are, Do Not Fly into Cloud. And Full Scale Aircraft have the right of way.

The 90 meter rule is Transport Canada's restriction for UAV's for all other locations outside sanctioned sites and events without an SFOC
OK. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

Thanks for posting this Brad. Needless to say, at the last club meeting it was a very hot topic!!

Daren
Old 12-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
3dflyer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: marc.c
Radio of choice:
hitec a9,jr 9303
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

i was checking the transport canada site to check things out and it seems there are alot of people whinning about the new regulations.i have nothing against uav,s but i do have a problem with reckless people who couldn,t care less about the safety of others and property.

life begins under 10ft and ends at ground zero.
fly it like you hate it.
troy built sponsored pilot.
cambrain rc flyers
3dflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post

Thanks for the update Brad but it still leaves many questions unanswered in my mind.

Am I correct then in assuming that a MAAC member flying at home or with permission on private property is bound by the 90 meter rule?

How would this apply then to an off club field activity such as a float fly or glider cross county contest?

Does this then give MAAC a monopoly over all model airplane activity larger than a foam park flyer? As in you cannot fly over 90 meters unless you have MAAC AND fly to a club field?

I'm sure that I am not the only one that is wondering...
Old 12-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Scale Freak

Total Props: 0

Regarding the 90 m hight rule.
A lot of people dont realize that full scale aircraft under VFR conditions can and do fly at 500ft AGL over unpopulated areas within uncontrilled airspace. These aircraft are visual, probably out sightseeing and so are on no set flight path.
Since our fields are in unpopulated areas, and most likely not offically classified as restricted airspace, so yes it is very possible to have a full size aircraft fly over or near where your quad or drone is operating.
Our models are flying in a highly structured airspace and I feel that that most modelers may be unaware of exactly the seriousness of breaching the rules the consequenses may be.
If you want to legally fly above 90m or about 400ft, then you need to apply for a special flight permit and issue a NOTAM to restrict that airspace you will be flying in and state the altitude you will be flying to.
Then pilots will get that in a briefing and will know to stay clear of your area.

Last edited by Scale Freak; 12-27-2014 at 08:43 AM.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Thanks for the update Brad but it still leaves many questions unanswered in my mind.

Am I correct then in assuming that a MAAC member flying at home or with permission on private property is bound by the 90 meter rule?

How would this apply then to an off club field activity such as a float fly or glider cross county contest?

Does this then give MAAC a monopoly over all model airplane activity larger than a foam park flyer? As in you cannot fly over 90 meters unless you have MAAC AND fly to a club field?

I'm sure that I am not the only one that is wondering...
Brent, I have read lots of your posts. As far as I know, you fly for pleasure, ie it's a hobby. Are you flying for business or research? Are your models larger than 35kg?

If not, none of this applies! It's that simple! Maac rules apply at Maac sites.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenjw View Post
....you fly for pleasure....Are your models larger than 35kg?

If not, none of this applies!....
Yes it does:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...i-uav-2265.htm

You don't need SFOC but still have to follow the 90m rule if not at MAAC sanctioned site using MAAC rules.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in