Glider flying off the Bluffs - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #31
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

Total Props: 0
Re: Glider flying off the Bluffs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Dan, you need some ballast on that thing for that much wind! Would be cool if you could try DS'ing of one of those construction piles. I want to get a Weasel, we're planning a trip to Point of the Mountain in Utah this summer so it would be the perfect travel sloper. Best wishes to your wife for her recovery, hope all is well.

JB
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #32
DHansen
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

DDRUCK Glad you enjoyed the gliding experience. Sailplanes and slope soaring expand on the rc hobby of flyer and plane and bring your whole environment around you into play. A Zen experience dare I say.

david
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #33
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Blom View Post
Hey Dan, you need some ballast on that thing for that much wind! Would be cool if you could try DS'ing of one of those construction piles. I want to get a Weasel, we're planning a trip to Point of the Mountain in Utah this summer so it would be the perfect travel sloper. Best wishes to your wife for her recovery, hope all is well.

JB
Thanks JB , yes everything is fine now, and I hope for the future.
The hill is too little for more weight. The airfoil is very thin on this thing, my friends Weasel was performing really well, the winds were not steady it dropped down to 25, averaged 30 to 35 with gusts to 50, I had to hold the wing with both hands at times so it would not break. DS is not possible the hill is actually like a big cone with long sides and sizable flat top, its a dirt pile. Besides I have no idea how to do that, just saw videos. I tried to slope my Stryker but the throws were not enough, but it kind of worked, l could power out of trouble.

dhansen, aside from all little glitches, it was like a religious experience, I always liked gliders.

Dan

Last edited by ddruck; 10-21-2010 at 07:51 AM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #34
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
The lift zone was about 10 ft out and 10 ft up from the crest but pretty good,
Dan
On a good slope the lift band can be 3-4 times the height of the hill. I have climbed almost OOS on several slopes.
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #35
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i

Total Props: 1

Dan...surprising how well the little stryker glides eh?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #36
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Hey Mark, with Stryker it is not a big surprise, I am always telling people to try to glide it, everyone assumes it is for speed only, since the speed nuts always push it that way, but I even got it to thermal one time, the speed envelope is great, how ever, off a hill, with no power, you have to max your throws or it will not respond well.
Dan
Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #37
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
DX6i

I was flying with a friend who has more rc experience than I'll ever have. I pulled out the Stryker for the first time since the spring and had a blast with it. I didn't push it hard, only a few full throttle climbouts (can't resist those)...my buddy was impressed with it's slow speed flight and glideability. Ended up crashing it and breaking the fuse off right in front of the motor mount though.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #38
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

yes, that is the weak spot on Stryker, motor vibration and constant hitting the prop and stuff on landing weakens that area, just take the motor mount off, glue it back with hot glue or epoxy and then best is to cover the whole area and a bit up the fuse with, very light, glass cloth top and bottom and epoxy, I scrape it a bit with a card not to make it too thick and heavy. Then it lasts for ever. I do this when I build a new one, saves on repairs later, plus it is under the paint that way. Oh , do not forget to sand paint off in that area to get it to stick well.
Dan
Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #39
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
DX6i

Dan,
I haven't decided on whether or not to glue it back together...I'm considering a new fuse for 25 bucks...I would just need to paint it. Thanks for the tips...I'll use them if I rebuild.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in