Generators at your club - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6
Re: Generators at your club

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maybe cover them up with a big fireproof insulated box or garbage bin, with a hole for the exhaust. A lot of the noise is from noisy valve and rocker clatter. Another option would be a couple of batteries and a wind generator or solar outfit hooked up to the batteries. The club could pay for it if it is a dedicated field.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

The whole purpose of having an all electric club is for noise reasons... Not?

And yes a cheap (noisy) generator could easily be less expensive that more batteries if you are running big birds! We see them on sale often for $300 or less.

Wind charger? Would that mean that you could only fly on windy days?

How about going by the local machinery dealer/big truck shop & pick up one of those BIG batteries from the recycle pile. It may not have the capacity to crank a big Cat engine anymore but will still charge all the planes you can fly in a day!
Rig up a cable so your vehicle will charge it all the way to the field & back.

You could even give it back in the fall & get a better one next spring!

The attraction with electric for me is that #1 it's peacefull & #2 you don't have to buy fuel!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 10-29-2011 at 10:10 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7

500' extension cords are used at our field so genny noise isn't an issue.....
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Our gens. are out in the parking lot where the charge tables are,you bring your own. If it's really busy, someone will plug a gen. into a remote plug set away from the clubhouse that powers up the clubhouse. then guys just plug into the outlets in the clubhouse. My gen is one I bought from CTC. It's a 1000 watt jobby that is more than adequate. Called a Champion, made in China and only slightly louder than a 1000 watt Honda. Usually starts first pull, although in this cooler weather, takes 2 pulls.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

x2 for the quiet Honda generators. You can have one running right beside you and you can carry on a perfectly normal-volume conversation. If they're placed back from the flightline anywhere you won't even notice them running.

When I was flying big electrics we had two of them running in our easy-up during an IMAC contest and you barely noticed them running at all even while we were sitting in it. They cost more but they're awesome machines. If you're that invested in big electrics it's the only way to go.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #16

Total Props: 57

I agree with OPRN. Buy another battery or two. Merv also suggested carrying an old battery around, but what about using the one in the vehicle you transported the plane with?

This hobby is gadget driven, I don't like packin' up any more than I have to, 'cause then you have do it twice more before you get everthing back to where it started. Not to mention, the issues with having to secure a extra battery or the genny while its in transport. Not an issue if you use a pick-up truck, real issue if you use a SUV or Mini van.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Scotte

Total Props: 2

Like a lot of other things, this is really a club specific type problem or nonproblem,,,,nice hearing different ideas for sure,,,,,we fly a lot of big electrics on the weekends and two guys charging big packs, with the new chargers, can over load a 2-3000 watt genset easily,,,,,,AC power is the answer, but a little out of reach for our small clubs budget,,,
Old 10-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Florin
RCC Contributor

I am: Florin
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1

Invest some money in few solar panels and few deep cycle batteries. 10 batteries 120Ah each means a battery bank of 1200Ah that can be charged from the panels during the morning and discharged in the afternoon...charge during the week when the usage is low and discharge during the weekend...have a backup generator that charges the battery bank as opposed to many generators each being used for one charger...just a thought.

The guys on the www.fieldlines.com forum can give a quick answer if a solar system is feasible for certain power requirements: http://fieldlines.com/board/index.ph...topic=143583.0

I used to be an active member on fieldlines.com and I got a lot of help from the fieldlines members when I built the solar system for my parent's cottage: http://windpulse.com/index.html
Ash26 4m, Habicht 2.6, GP Patriot 46,Sig 1/4 Cub, Kadet Senior E, Something Extra, 4*40, Avistar, Alpha 40E, Sig Riser, Olympic II, Electra 2m, Butterfly 100, ElectriCub, E-flite Mini Pulse XT, GP yak 54, Mayhem, Blade MCX, Rustler brushless, Micro High Roller, Micro Desert Truck, Littlest Stick, Dumas Red Lion, small bolt, Phantom 2V+, ZMR 250
Florin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Scotte

Total Props: 2

The green method (solar panels/wind generator/storage batts) is totally my favorite idea-----I hate to think any public coming to our club will see/hear an electric only club needing 5 gensets running is a bit embarassing IMO,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in