Gas Engine Recommendations needed - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Gas Engine Recommendations needed

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a build on the go of a 29% Giles 300 from Ohio RC Models. Plan should come out around 11lbs Debating of how big of engine to go with. was looking at something like a 30cc or 40cc. I think a 50cc would be too big and 26cc would be too small. Am I on the right track looking at something in 30-40CC range. Any easy way to really spec the engine.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20
Re: Gas Engine Recommendations needed

For an 11lb plane, a strong 30cc would be the ticket. I have a 10lb Yak with a DL30 and it has great authority on the uplines. From what i've read and experienced, their are a ton of 30cc-40cc gas engines on the market but their's a few that are far more powerful than the rest. Here are the 3 engine that I would look into:

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=DLEDL30 It's a serious powerhouse....a bit rough at first but once it gets 4 or 5hrs of runtime, it really starts to shine.

http://www.syssaaircraft.com/cart/pc...?idCategory=11 - this guy is manufacturing his own high performance 30cc gas engine in the U.S. Haven't heard too much about it as it's a relatively new engine but if the specs are correct, it should be a winner

http://www.aircraftinternational.com...ors/3W28i.aspx - pretty pricey but it is as or more powerful than the DL 30.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad J
Radio of choice:
Jr 9503
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2

OOOOPS, sorry I never read the first post correctly, thought this was the ultra rc giles 202 arf that omp sold.

But on mine I have a mvvs 26cc on a tuned pipe that performs very well, I am going to put a dle 30cc on another one as it weighs about the same and
I should be ableto prop up one size.

Brad

Last edited by bjon; 03-21-2010 at 11:03 AM.
bjon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplant00 View Post
I have a build on the go of a 29% Giles 300 from Ohio RC Models. Plan should come out around 11lbs Debating of how big of engine to go with. was looking at something like a 30cc or 40cc. I think a 50cc would be too big and 26cc would be too small. Am I on the right track looking at something in 30-40CC range. Any easy way to really spec the engine.
Just a word of caution... I had this plane when the Ohio RC company was just putting them out, and I got one of the first kits.

The plane is VERY snap-happy, and it would be in your best interest to keep the weight down.

Mine flew on a ST 2000 glow engine, an OS 1.20 FS and a 30cc gasser (converted Homelite with the magneto removed and CH ignition installed.)

The ST flew it nicely, the Homelite was far too heavy, and the 1.20 was too little.

If it were me, I would stick with the lightest engine you can find, and keep the weight down to a bare minimum.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post

If it were me, I would stick with the lightest engine you can find, and keep the weight down to a bare minimum.

AJC
What size is this plane? At 29% it must be a 50cc size range, no? That being said, if all up weight is supposed to be in the 11lbs range, the DLE30 would be the ticket. They make something like 3.7hp and don't weigh much. That should haul it around in decent fashion. They're also a great price!

A guy in our club has one on a GH Air Yak 54, which is a 26cc sized airframe, and it flies really well with the DLE on the front.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in