RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:24 AM   #31
Steve N.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Steve N.

Total Props: 3

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Roy,

Thanks for the tip on the Mcmasters Carr tank. I also saw mention of that on RC Universe - I wonder if it was you. Do the smoke tanks have any affect by obstructing the airflow from the intakes just ahead of them?

I'm also considering the use of two tanks. I found some 1.89 liter 'Ocean Spray' juice containers that appear to be made of nice strong/stiff material. They are rectangular in shape and will easily fit side by each with a slight modification to the framer.

If you don't mind, maybe you could email me with your email address. I might have a question or two later on. Right now I'm in a holding pattern. It seems that my whole life is on 'back-order'

Thanks ,
Steve

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #32
Molar Mender
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Roy H

Total Props: 0
My 1300R has made some strange sounds on spool up like it is trying to gulp air. I originally thought it was the FOD screen that I was using. I took that off and it still makes that sound even when the canopy is off so I am sure the compressor needs tweaking. As far as I have been able to determine, airflow is fine with the smoke tanks on the side.
PM'd my email address to you. Feel free to ask any questions.

Roy
Molar Mender is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:21 PM   #33
Steve N.
RCC Senior Contributor

That's great Roy, I've got your email Thanks.

I'll bet that when Kelly is able to find more than three seconds of spare time, he'll read your post and solve the the gulp for air issue.

I have the same problem sometimes, but it's usually only on the morning after the night before

Thanks again Roy,

Steve

Old 06-23-2006, 01:25 AM   #34
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6
Each engine design I've run or experienced does indeed sound different. (referring to several different brands and thrust levels) Some whine, some whoosh, some rumble, some howl, and all produce a unique combination of each... (if that makes any sense... ) The 1300R has a very large compressor inlet, and of the 2 that I own and the others I've run, it does make a very significant (and kinda cool in my opinion) suction sound as a result. It should be a rather smooth sound through he throttle spectrum, changing in low frequencies. any sudden variations or high frequency aerodynamic noises should probably be looked at.

If you're experiencing a problem with the engine, I'm sure Dean or myself can listen to it and diagnose it. I'm not going to deflect any blame by stating that this particular brand has a 100% reliability rating, since no brand of engine is 100% reliable and retailers would be foolish to say such a thing. What I will say is.... If there's a problem with the motor, any customer can bet that it'll be rectified as soon as possible.

(sorry if that sounds like a sales pitch, its just what my fingers typed into the keyboard...)

I don't know if Dean's going to the BV rally Roy but if not I can meet you at Whidbey for a jet practice day, or at the rally in August, to have a look if you like. If you're concerned about it enough that you'd like me to have a look at it sooner (after BV, but before Whidbey I assume), we can arrange to have it shipped up her for warranty inspection, and servicing.

Kelly
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #35
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14
Hi Roy!

I will be at Bonnyville for the event for sure! I'll check it out. There might even be a couple more Boomerangs there too.

Dean W.
Helijet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #36
Molar Mender
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Roy H

Total Props: 0
Sounds like Bonneyville is going to be a good weekend. I look forward to it.

When I had the FOD screen (same size as I have on my 600R) mounted on the 1300R, it made a funny low freq sound at around 90,000 RPM, kind of like Bruce Tharps Double Whammy only not as loud. I took off the screen thinking it was restricting the air intake and it no longer made the sound. I have now heard the same sound while the Big Boomer is flying. Thinking it was airflow restriction due to my reinstallation of the smoke tanks after the main fuel tank was changed out, I took the canopy off and ran the engine on the ground. It still makes that sound on occasion, even with free air when the canopy is off. As far as I know, it does not effect the performance of the turbine or the Big Boomer.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Roy
Molar Mender is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:57 AM   #37
akb
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Closed Membership
Radio of choice:
N/A
# of RCs: N/A

Hi Steve
It does seem to be an addictive facet to RC. I'm in Calgary and have a Bobcat, a Kingcat to build in the winter and a couple of 1300R's. I find them great running engines and have had about 1/2 dozen flights on the Bobcat now. It sure is a fast combination on that particular aircraft. Dean and Kelly excellent to deal with on the PST's. Might try to put on some more flights latter today. Happy building and great flying to you.

Alan
akb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #38
Steve N.
RCC Senior Contributor

Hi Alan,

I'm in total agreement about Dean and Kelly. I've heard and experienced nothing but good with the both of them. I'm glad that they're on my side of the country.

I imagine your Bobcat, with a 1300, would be major fast - kind of like flying a lightning bolt. I've always liked the King Cat. I'll bet that you're just itching to get at it. With the age of my eyes, bigger is always better - especially at these speeds

Have a great day with the Bobcat.

Steve
Old 06-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #39
akb
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Closed Membership
Radio of choice:
N/A
# of RCs: N/A

Hi Steve
Had a good day at the field today. I'm still getting a aileroin trim problem worked out on my flaps and it seems to be getting better each time I dial up on the flaps. Had a little incident with it today. It was planted on the ground for landing and during my roll out it picked up some air again and porposed on my nose gear. Don't seem to be much problem other than the flex plate and it cleanly pulled out one of my formers. It's just taking the time of moving everything around in a small fuselage so that the former can get glued back in again. I fly off grass that's why the little bump off the ground came up and hit me.
The engine is flying very good and I'm not as concerned now with the spool up time as I was, when going from 35% gassers to turbines. The engine spool up was quick enough when I thought I was too hot and I could do an overshoot.
Yes it is fast. Most time now as I am getting use to it, is set at 1/4 throttle. With that throttle setting, I stretched out the flight today as well where I got about 8 1/2 minutes out of it today and it looked like my center tank was still 1/2 full. But as soon as I start getting my foot into it, I will sticking to the 7 1/2. I think that the Kingcat will be easier to see in the air and it's size will make the 1300 sit up and take notice of this airframe.

Happy building
Alan
akb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #40
Steve N.
RCC Senior Contributor

Hi Alan

I'm glad you had a gfood day at the field and that your little incident wasn't too serious and will require only the minor fix.

It's sounds as if we are in a similar position. I'm going to the turbines from a 33% gasser (Cap 232) and also fly off a grass field.

I can't wait to get started on the learning curve (building and flying).

Steve
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in