Electric Aircraft and IMAC - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #31

Total Props: 57
Re: Electric Aircraft and IMAC

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
Give some one set of ten maneuvers than asking them to fly it. That is a significant difference between the two disciplines.
It is easier to recognize the challenge after flying the unknowns.

Actually we fly unknowns in pattern, but only in FAI. 10 manuvers is a short sequence, ours are 19. In FAI (if you are good enough to make the cuts to fly the unknowns) fly 4 sequences, prelim, finals, and two different unknowns picked by the pilots.

If you really think its so easy why not make a run for the national team
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdegan View Post
Wasn't there this 3D guy named Quique or something that won the worlds a couple years ago

Actually QQ has flown pattern at the World championships since he was 12, he is the youngest competitor in history. If you ask QQ what his passion is, he will tell you its F3A. He mostly flew for the Argentinian team, until 2007 when he was a US citizen and started flying for the US team...this caused a lot of controversy among certain people.

Unknown to most but the pilot draws for the TOC was actually from big pattern contests
Old 04-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kroeze View Post
Could you point us to where (links)? I've followed others on the pattern thread and not found any listed for Ontario or close by.
For the US events, nsrca.us has a calender of events for all the districts, I think D1 and D4 are the closest events to Ontario.

The link Maqsood gave should have the details when they arrive, I think there is also one in Chatham planned?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #34
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

Regarding IMAC and the size of the aircraft:

I am not sure why everybody gets so hung up on the idea that that you have to have a large aircraft if you want to fly IMAC. I could understand this line of thinking if winning was the most important factor but how many of us are flying IMAC only to win? (aka prove that we are better than the other guy) Yes, you are at a disadvantage with a smaller airplane but does that make it less fun? Would you be hesitant to drive your Aveo on the road just because many of the other drivers have larger, more expensive vehicles? I know for me, I don't care if everybody is flying 60% planes....it doesn't affect my scores or how much fun I have at a contest.

I fly a 170cc as my primary and a 30cc as my backup. I purchased the 170cc because I wanted an airframe that will let me be the best pilot I can be. I bought it to get the highest score possible...not to win.....big difference between highest score and winning.

So what if you don't have the biggest airplane...just go out, fly the sequence to the best of your ability and have fun!! I have met alot of great people through IMAC and I plan on flying IMAC for a long time...whether it is with a 170cc or a 17cc.

Just my take on the topic.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 PM   #35

Ramz man! You answered your own question!

Question:
Quote:
I am not sure why everybody gets so hung up on the idea that that you have to have a large aircraft if you want to fly IMAC
Answer:
Quote:
I purchased the 170cc because I wanted an airframe that will let me be the best pilot I can be. I bought it to get the highest score possible
This is the natural evolution of competitors, to use the extent of the current rules/technology to get the advantage. This will never change, regardless of what you compete in. Its why IMAC'ers will fly 40%er's, its why pattern guys fly 2 meter models, its why racers run Nelsons instead of Jett's (maybe not anymore) etc. etc.

If you are a competitor, you will inevitably use the gear that is going to get the best result. The simple fact is, if sizes were say restricted to 100cc in imac, you would not be flying a 170cc sized model. You would have reduced expense, and still be flying the best you can (because the plane is irrelevant to how good you are).

It is why in pattern most guys fight any increase in the size and weight rule ....as a top level pilot I can tell you the moment those rules change I would change my entire setup to fit with the "new" rules. This would elevate the cost to everyone else, because they would be forced to larger/different models to try and remain competitive, or quit altogether (which is more likely the case).
Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #36
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by can773 View Post

It is why in pattern most guys fight any increase in the size and weight rule ....as a top level pilot I can tell you the moment those rules change I would change my entire setup to fit with the "new" rules. This would elevate the cost to everyone else, because they would be forced to larger/different models to try and remain competitive, or quit altogether (which is more likely the case).
I actually like to idea of the restrictions that pattern enforces. However, not everyone that flies a giant scale flies IMAC either, so capping the size might deter some from coming out to play.

Something like capping the size per skill category might be an idea. However, again, there's the issue of "needing" a bigger plane if you want to compete at the cutting edge of your next level of competition.

However, limiting all classes to 35% would be an interesting idea for sure.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #37
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

Chad: I think you missed the main point I was trying to convey...you deleted the most important part of the whole post!

When I said: "I bought it to get the highest score possible...not to win.....big difference between highest score and winning", I was trying to say that getting first place is not why I fly IMAC. Yes, I want to be a better pilot and the bigger airframes make it easier but just because the other guy has an airframe that is worth 5x what my airframe is... it has little to no effect on my skill/scores or my enjoyment of flying the sequences/ socializing with the other pilots. I guess this is how I see it but i'm sure others would disagree. High scores and winning....2 different mentalities.

You are a top level pilot so I am sure have a much higher desire to succeed and you probably take your scores a bit more seriously than the average weekend competitor. It's all good though...whatever floats your boat.

P.S. - one of these days I am going to try a 110 size pattern plane. Flew a 2 meter/OS 160 combo 2 years ago and I was blown away with how smooth and precise it was.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #38
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Capping the whole thing to one size plane isn't what i would like to see either.
But at least the Basic catagory. Keep it for the people who are just starting out and want to try it.
I look at it this way. A person needs to challenge themself. To push themself to be better.
As an example, You decide you are going to take up jogging. Your first time out you go around the block, your winded and done. Another half dozen times and its much much easier. You decide to go 2 blocks. A week or 2 later your are pushing 1 k then 2k, etc, etc . You push yourself to get better and stronger.
If you stay with going around 1 block and stopping, what does that give you. Nothing.
Same with basic. If you fly it for 3 or 4 seasons and are up to an 85 or 100 cc plane always finish in the top 3 or 4.
Ask yourself, are you getting better, are you becoming a better pilot ?
Push yourself, challenge yourself, move up to the next catagory. Who cares if you come in last this season. i bet you won't be next season

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #39
Ray B
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ray B

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by can773 View Post
two different unknowns picked by the pilots.
I am not clear how that works. Where can I go and get the rules concerning AFI and the unknowns?
Ray B is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I am not clear how that works. Where can I go and get the rules concerning AFI and the unknowns?
http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/documents/sc4

Class F3A (radio control aerobatics) you can download the rulebook and view how FAI contests are operated. Unknowns are only flown at major events and smaller events as decided by contestants.

Its a very strategic thing....I generally have about 25 unknown sequences that I practice at random to become proficient at everything. I always fly them "cold" without looking at the sequence, so during a normal event when I get time to review its not nearly as difficult.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in