Flymentor Success Stories - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
HeliGunner
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chris S

Total Props: 0
Re: Flymentor Success Stories

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
You bet!

Again, you are welcome to drop by our field as a guest.

also, I work in the 404/highway 7 area, so we can even get together somewhere in nearby Toronto if you cant make it up and need some help!
Awsome, I will let you know once I get my stuff, could you pm me your contact details as I would reallly like to learn to fly so that when I grow up I can be like Alan Z

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #22
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

I don't live in Ontario but I could use some help too. Maybe you can just list some shortcuts to save everyone including yourself some time.
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #23
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
I don't live in Ontario but I could use some help too. Maybe you can just list some shortcuts to save everyone including yourself some time.
The truth is it's not that difficult to set up, its just a lot of technical information to absorb at one time. The manual isn't too bad, but it can be confusing the way they tell you to hook up the servos.

Some of the setup involves handling the heli and observing the reaction of the servos when the heli is moved. Again, you can sort that out by using the manual, but I just found it a lot easier to get a handle on how the system works when I was helped out myself.

To answer your question, a summary of the key notes are:
1) when opting not to use the flymentor tail gyro, you do not have to do anything with your existing setup, Ie- just leave your TR servo plugged into your existing gyro and the existing gyro stays connected to your receiver the way it is.

2) The heli must be a CPM mixing type. BUT If you flew your heli prior and have CCPM mixing turned on in your radio, YOU MUST TURN IT OFF and put the radio back into conventional heli mixing: Ie: aileron, elevator and collective on separate channels with NO MIXING

3) make sure you install both the flymentor gyro and the camera with the arrows pointing to the front of the heli

4) plug in the servos into the Flymentor in the order shown in the diagram on page 15 in the manual

5) plug the flymentor into your radio using the colored connectors in the order shown on page 14 in the manual

6) move the controls on the radio and observe the direction of the servo movement. Use the reversing switches on the radio to get the right movement direction. Double check that the servos all move in sequence and moving in the correct directions when the collective(throttle) is moved up/down (you can opt to use the flymentor software shown on page16 to do this but I like to get mine set up using the radio)

7) Hold the heli in your hand and tilt it forward. the swash should move back.(opposite to whatever movement you make) If not, use the reverse switches USING THE FLYMENTOR SOFTWARE (see the screen on page 19 on the manual)
Do the same for the ailerons. Tilt it to one side and observe the swash and adjust accordingly

8.) Fly the heli. For any drift, try not to rely exclusively on the trims, your heli and the flymentor will be fighting each other. Make trim adjustments temporarily to see what is needed, then land and make mechanical adjustments to get the trims as close to neutral (this should sound familiar because the same requirements are needed for setting up most tail rotor gyros.

That should be a good start for most people. I'm sure there are other details I may have forgotten, and there my be alternate methods but this is what worked for me Cheers

Last edited by Max; 05-30-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

Let me get this right instead of ccpm mixing on the radio I go to standard. Like do I change the swash setting to standard even though the mechanics of the heli are ccpm. How can the pitch work properly if all three servos don't work together as is the case with a standard swash setting
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
BillGreen
RCC Contributor

I am: Bill G
Radio of choice:
IX20, IX12
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
Let me get this right instead of ccpm mixing on the radio I go to standard. Like do I change the swash setting to standard even though the mechanics of the heli are ccpm. How can the pitch work properly if all three servos don't work together as is the case with a standard swash setting
The flymentor looks after the ccpm mixing. I have a spare trex 450 built up. I ordered one to try.
It's been shipped just waiting now.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #26
davecrash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: David R
# of RCs: 99

Total Props: 6

Mine arrived today, I will be checking it out this weekend.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #27
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
Mine arrived today, I will be checking it out this weekend.
That's great Dave. Rod and I will be at the field tomorrow (weather permitting)
Hope to see you with your heli there
(Rod was the fella that helped me set mine up)
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #28
davecrash
RCC Senior Contributor

Going up to the trailer this weekend. I'll take it with me and read through it,
Old 06-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #29
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Just read this over at HF kinda makes sense
"On a 450 should be a fairly simple setup, just be aware when you go to hook in your servo's..servo 1 goes into slot 1 of the KDS...remember that and foolow suit with the other servo's, the picture in the manual has it the other way around"
I hooked them up same as the picture and yes things are wonky. I will give this a try tomorrow

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #30
davecrash
RCC Senior Contributor

I was having a bit of an issue on the turning off the mixing on the 9503 radio but I think I figured that out. If I set it to 1 servo for the ccpm this shuts of the mixing, Is that correct?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in