Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC28 & MC20 & MZ-32
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 32
Re: Is Glow Dead?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It's only available in the LCBO stores here. My 90yr old mother loves their Scotch Barrel aged Porter.

Cheers Brian
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #252
Rellic
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

Same here LCBC only, and sometimes on request.

Bottoms Up Richard

Brian T.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #253
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Uh... that has alcohol in it... so that comes under glow fuel - not?

Now can someone fill us in on electric ale please? And the advantages?

Old 03-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #254
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudniner View Post
It's only available in the LCBO stores here. My 90yr old mother loves their Scotch Barrel aged Porter.

Cheers Brian
Must be the secret to longevity Richard.

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #255
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
Just to add some light on the sound systems available. I looked at all of them and emailed/spoke to those I could who either sold or owned each system. They were expensive and if I were to buy one I wanted the biggest bang for my buck.

98 decibels was top. Of three sound systems that reached this level only one included all the sound files at no extra cost. Complete ready to install in my models it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 CDN. It was also a Canadian Company http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/index.php

It performed exactly as advertised in fact I have it so I can transfer the sound board from plane to plane if I want.

Dennis
I also purchased a 4inch speakr + amp Benedini sound system similar to those ones, I might put in my new 2.4m Cub (if I don't make it Glow powered - have not decided yet)

But I am intrigued by the new Transducer-type systems by Mr RC Sound. They are supposed to put out a lot more projecting sound without the weight of the speaker - they make the whole airframe act like the speaker when strategically placed. Can even get good loudness in a 45 inch foamy apparently. The benedini needs a larger plane to haul it around

Quote:
Tests have shown it is possible to reach a maximum volume on a single TT-25 of 108db at 1M with just 12 volts
http://test.mrrcsound.com/

I am still skeptical about its ability project sound from 100m away like a nitro engine though.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #256
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: Lot

Total Props: 18

I can only hope that the so called green clean electrics get the bad press some day that they deserve. Bad carbon footprint created by the polystyrene model manufacture. The energy wasted by cars parked in the field parking lots RUNNING to charge the silly battery packs, and the hassardous waste nightmare of finally disposing of the vast cocktail of spent cells headed who knows where when disposed of. YUK!

Frankly I had one recent look into electric and learned to my dismay that the cost of just two, 6 cell packs FAR FAR FAR outweighed the cost of the glow fuel I would have needed for even a couple seasons. Not to mention that those same two batt packs equal just 2 flights per outing WHAT????... ooops time to go home. RAN back to glow.

Carl C
MAAC#: 44232-L CM
CarlC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #257
JoeT
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Tandemist (Ex Horusist)
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Frankly I had one recent look into electric and learned to my dismay that the cost of just two, 6 cell packs FAR FAR FAR outweighed the cost of the glow fuel I would have needed for even a couple seasons. Not to mention that those same two batt packs equal just 2 flights per outing WHAT????... ooops time to go home. RAN back to glow.
At our field, we're blessed with a solar powered charging station. There are 4 deep discharge batteries under the patio area, and there are 4 solar panels on the roof continuously charging the deep cycle batteries.

The cadence is: Fly one battery, while the other is charging. So with 2 batteries, you can fly the entire day / weekend / month if you want.

No sense in chastising anyone for their choices, after all, regardless of what you fly, You're Flying. Long live the hobby regardless of what you fly.

Remember the saying: The person that dies with the most "Toys" win. It's a hobby, and the only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys. LOL (Yes, I consider my 120cc 110" Gasser a Toy)
Skywing Edge 540 V3 Build: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcan...9580468180020/
Skywing NG Build: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcan...4310223707045/
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #258
aeajr
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ed A
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C Super
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
I can only hope that the so called green clean electrics get the bad press some day that they deserve. Bad carbon footprint created by the polystyrene model manufacture. The energy wasted by cars parked in the field parking lots RUNNING to charge the silly battery packs, and the hassardous waste nightmare of finally disposing of the vast cocktail of spent cells headed who knows where when disposed of. YUK!

OK, you don't like electric, but let's put some facts and reality on the table. Perhaps you are not aware of what I am about to post.

Batteries, like most things, can be recycled. Home Depot, Lowes and many electronics stores have recycling bins. That is where my old batteries, of all types, go.

2 packs = as many flights per day as you like. Even at two per hour a 4 hour stay at the field is 8 flights. I normally fly more than that.

A battery pack, like a fuel tank can provide 5 minutes or 20 minutes flight times depending on your pack size, your plane type and your flying style. On my e-gliders a 1300 mah 3 cell gives me about an hour of flying time.

With two packs, you fly one while you charge one. If you have 3 packs you can stay in the air almost constantly all day.

I have had battery packs remain in good condition for 3 or more years. And the ones I buy to replace them cost less than the ones I am replacing as battery prices continue to drop.

You can field charge from your car's battery, a spare car/marine battery or whatever. If you have utility power you can use an AC charger.

If you did use a spare car/marine battery and needed to refresh it during the day you can connect it to your car's battery and run your car to refresh it. A typical 4 cylinder car uses about 1/3 gallon of fuel an hour to sit and idle. So, over lunch, connect that battery to my car's battery and run the car for 30 minutes to refresh it. At $3/gallon if you used your car's engine for an 30 minutes each trip to the field that is $.50. And I would guess that what comes out of the pipe of my car is less polluting than what comes out of the pipe of that glow engine.

Charger prices continue to drop too. My 50 watt balancing charger cost me $70 about 7 years ago and still works fine. but it will only charge at up to 3 amps and 4 lipo cells. Back then 1C was the maximum charge rate on most packs with a few that could be charged at 1.5C. So a charge took 40 minutes to an hour.

I just picked up a 240/300 watt charger for $65 that will charge at up to 20 amps and up to 6 cells. Many modern packs can be charged at up to 5C which means you can do a full charge in about 12 minutes. That charger can fully charge a 3S 5000 mah pack in about 15 minutes and a 6S pack in about 30 minutes. Naturally there are higher wattage chargers available that can charge faster.

My old charger still works fine so now I have two chargers and can charge two packs at once.

The heaviest plane I have flown to date is about 6 pounds. Likely to be preparing one about 8 pounds. Electric works just fine for me. And I would stay with electric up to about 12 pounds which can be flown off a 6 cell pack at a 100 to 150 watts/pound without a problem. Great for sport flying. Maybe 3D up to about 8 pounds. Above that I would likely go gas, not glow.

I can run the plane in my basement workshop with no issues. No fuel, no exhaust, no spouse complaining about the smell or the nose. No need to go outside to test a set-up. Nice in the winter.

No winterizing, no break-in oil, no .... fuel issues of any kind. Properly sized brushless motors require no maintenance. And their prices keep dropping too. I am looking at a 1.2 KW motor for a 6 pound tow plane for my gliders. Motor costs $40. Speed control is about $40 They will last for decades with no maintenance if I properly cool them and don't run them over spec.

My motor starts every time regardless of temperature and I can shut it down completely, while in the air, and restart it at will. No need to worry about rough idle or stalling the engine.

Prices keep dropping with motors and batteries getting more powerful each year.

Is that better than glow? Nope, just different. But I like electric.
I don't dislike glow, I just have no desire to run glow in any of my aircraft.

============================
Reference: - how much fuel does an idling engine use?
Opinions vary but range is 1/3 to 1/2 gallon per hour over most of the sites I have checked.
Of course it varies by engine.
http://greenactioncentre.ca/living-g...n-shut-it-off/

Last edited by aeajr; 03-30-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Corrected, updated and documented cost to run your car at idle to refresh a charging battery.
aeajr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #259
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
I also purchased a 4inch speakr + amp Benedini sound system similar to those ones, I might put in my new 2.4m Cub (if I don't make it Glow powered - have not decided yet)

But I am intrigued by the new Transducer-type systems by Mr RC Sound. They are supposed to put out a lot more projecting sound without the weight of the speaker - they make the whole airframe act like the speaker when strategically placed. Can even get good loudness in a 45 inch foamy apparently. The benedini needs a larger plane to haul it around

http://test.mrrcsound.com/

I am still skeptical about its ability project sound from 100m away like a nitro engine though.
Do they still charge extra for additional sounds? One of the reasons I went to another system.

Read the concern at the end about the transducer sound systems

Exciter Transducers in R/C Models

At Model Sounds Inc., we believe in offering the best sounding R/C Sound Systems. One RC Sound system manufacturer is offering "holeless" loudspeakers which stick onto the surface of the model and vibrate it. Here is our opinion on these and similar devices.

Sound is basically moving air. In order to make a loud sound the air must be moved vigorously by a solid surface. In other words the air must be displaced by the surface. Normal loudspeakers displace the air by means of a moving cone which acts as a piston to alternately compress and relax the air. In the kind of R/C sound systems we are talking about, the movement of the cone is several mm. There is a basic saying in audio engineering that "There is no replacement for displacement". I.E. you cannot get around that basic requirement of moving the air.

Tactile transducers, or exciters, work by attaching to, and vibrating, a solid surface of the model. The actual amount of sound pressure you get, and its tonal quality, depends heavily on the type of material, and its density, thickness and stiffness. This means that it is a bit of a gamble as to whether it will succeed in providing enough sound and of good enough quality to provide realistic sound levels from the model and of good enough sound quality.

In some simple tests we have done with these transducers we were not able to exceed 95db at 1m when it was attached to a 5inch square of 1/8" thick plywood and driven by our ShockWave2 sound module. We had to limit the power input to the transducer as we believed the power rating was something around 10 Watts based on its size and construction. At high volume levels the device got very hot within a few minutes.

One of our German competitors has done very extensive testing on six different exciters from different manufacturers. His extensive testing bears out our own findings and so we, like him, continue to recommend our normal Visaton R10S 4 inch loudspeakers as the best solution for both sound pressure level and good tonal quality.

THE MAJOR CONCERN

we have with installing these exciters in model aircraft, either fixed wing or rotary wing, is the long term effect of all that vibration on the structural integrity of the airframe. Whilst they may have been tested over several hours or even several tens of hours, we cannot help but wonder what happens after hundreds of hours.
Because of all the above concerns, we do not intend to stock or sell any exciter transducers. However if you wish to try them out anyway they can be purchased from the U.S. supplier Parts Express at : http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...4-ohm--295-222
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #260
Shotgun06
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Alain F

Total Props: 8

mmmmmm....no, glow is not dead...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in