Dope Over Epoxy ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12
Dope Over Epoxy ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Thier

Does anyone know if dope bonds to epoxy ? :
If it does not , I m in deep DO DO . Or will I have to sand off the epoxy

Mike
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Re: Dope Over Epoxy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel gravelle
Hi Thier

Does anyone know if dope bonds to epoxy ? :
If it does not , I m in deep DO DO . Or will I have to sand off the epoxy

Mike
Mike,

What do you need to paint over that has epoxy on it? Are you talking about a wing center section? Oh and the answer is NO the dope will not bond to the epoxy.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hi Jim

Its for my LT-40 , I did the plane in fiber glass and because the plane came out too heavy I decided to rebuild the tail end in dope to practice the dopeing prcedure . The LT-40 has open bay areas on the tail end and the rear of the fusalage . I guess I will have to sand it all off .

Thanks

Mike

Old 06-06-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel gravelle
Hi Jim

Its for my LT-40 , I did the plane in fiber glass and because the plane came out too heavy I decided to rebuild the tail end in dope to practice the dopeing prcedure . The LT-40 has open bay areas on the tail end and the rear of the fusalage . I guess I will have to sand it all off .

Thanks

Mike
You could try using Monokote. It will be lighter then dope and fabric. You will need to apply Balsarite over the epoxy though.

if you glassed the whole airframe I fear you will be to heavy.. your wingloading will be way higher then the designer ever took into account. What was the weight of your fibreglass cloth, 3/4oz, 1oz, 2oz....

Did you use Polyester Resin or real Epoxy? Whoose Epoxy?

Do you know the total weight of the airframe as it stands now?
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hi Jim

I bought the LT-40 to improve my building skills . I covered the wings with 3/32 balsa sheeting and than applyed Sig fiberglass cloth 3/4 oz , and applied Z-poxy . The plane came out 2 lbs overweight . This project has now have to be saved , which I will do , it s just part of the hobby . Which I don t mind at all . I will have to sand off all the Z-poxy and finish the open bay area with dope . If nessaery I will rebuild the wings , It just a matter of getting the right info . Which I should of done at the very start . But I didn t have the right questions to ask , I m more into it now , than I was at the time .

Thanks Jim

Mike
Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Total Props: 0
Mike,
Before I would trash the wing or build a new one I would try a few things. Glassing over open framework is not good but over the 3/32 balsa sheet is. Lots of strength there but if you did not scrape or remove as much of the epoxy when applying the weight will add up.
It all comes down to what you want to apply over the glass and if is a cloth covering or similar material you would take it out to the ldg. & trl. edges. Seal around the edges then shrink. The trick is what to use for attaching the edges. Balsarite or something like that might work over the framework.
Maybe somebody else has some suggestions also to help out. You could let us know with a pic what you have or want to cover as it would help.
John
Old 06-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

Hello John
Thanks for youre support and info .
Heres the story .

This LT-40 was to improve my building skills , which is being accomplished . My intent was to make the plane as strong as possible . because I didn t have the information that I needed on hand , I decided to cover the plane in fiberglass and z-poxy . I covered the open bay areas with 3/32 balsa , this includes the tail section ( bigtime mistake ) , which made the plane way to tail heavy , so this is my solution .

First I will scrap the tail section , rebuild new , second , I will be sanding off all the z-poxy and fiberglass down to the bare wood ,right up to were the trailing edge of the wing attaches to the fusealoge and restart all over again.

I already have one ARF , and I don t like it at all . I m not knocking ARF s , but I believe it is a matter of preference . I want my planes to be durable and long lasting . I will not be getting out of this hobby any time soon . I have decided that all my projects will be covered in dope . this may be the long way of doing things but I believe it is the best result I will get for what I want and I heard that it is a beautiful finish , I will not mind putting in the time at all , now , back to the LT-40

When building the wing I made sure that I removed all of the z-pozy that I could , like I mentioned , the biggest problem is the tail section , my next step is to cover it in Koveral and nitrate dope . Here s a question?

When covering the tail surfaces do I cover them when they are joined or do I cover them seperatly , because I will be useing epoxy to glue everything to-gether, this is were I am presently confussed .

I m hopping to hit 6.5 LBS . I will be putting in a 50 size engine .

All this is to get to the project that I really want to build , a DC-3 . I have a Elder 40 to build before I do that . As you can see I plan on doing a lot of learning before I can even get to build the DC-3 . And in the future I want to get onto SCALE , like WW 1

I hope youre week-end isn t like mine RAIN RAIN RAIN .

Thanks John

Mike
Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
There are only three places where strength is needed. that's the firewall,the landing gear mount and the wing mount. Build the rest as light as you can. Light planes are less likely to get pranged. Heavy planes don't fly well and because of this get pranged more often. Higher stall speeds and such.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24

Mike,

As flypaper stated a model airplane should be built to fly, not to crash. Build it as light as possible while still maintaining structural integrity.

Most kit manufactures have been in the business for a while and they know what works. I too use to "beef up" my planes as I didn't think the designer knew what he was doing at times. The bad thing with this is that when a crash does occure, and they will, there is more inertia builtup in the model when it makes contact with the ground in a heavy model and when all that weight tries to come to anabrubt stop, more damage is caused then if a light, well engineered and built model crashes.

I think your choicer of sanding down to the wood is a good one n the wings. I would go one step further and cut out the wing bays again and just cover the entire wing in Sig Koverall. The good thing with this stuf is it can be ireoned on like Monokote then painted over with dope. Rember to sgive a coat or two of Clear Buyterate Dope over the covering first before painting with colours.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Total Props: 0
I agree with you Jim but after reading again I think his comment was improve his building skills. I take it he applied the sheeting and glass to see what type of finish he would end up with after. May be the expensive way but better than on a big scale job. I still like glassing but it takes a lot of work to keep the weight down.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in