Begginer Fun - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 AM   #1
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Begginer Fun

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Im new to gliders and really enjoying the experience.
I started with a stock second hand Bird of Time from the kit and powered with an OS .15.I lost this one evening last summer,down wind,with too much altitude,and daylight fast disapearing.
Got it back a few weeks later with trashed wing and stab but built new ones from a second kit but modified the wings to include spoilers.I have been flying this combo for the last couple of weeks and the spoilers really add to the landing predictability.
Im about ready to fly a second three metre called the Electro Bird which is a European ARF with the BOD wing planform but with much less dihedral and ailerons which I will program as spoilers and flaps too.
Power is an AXI 282612 with a Graupner folding prop and I hope to have this in the air in the next two weeks complete with a Futaba six 2.4 TX so I dont have to worry about blocking frequencies at my home field if I hook a thermal and IM up for a while.
This set up is ideal for travelling to fun flys etc this summer since I can fly it after the days activities without worry about other TXs being turned on for tuning etc...........
I will try to post some photos if there is any interest re these powered models...........
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0
I learned to fly RC planes by flying gliders. I still find the challenge to be very gratifying. It is not as easy and boring as most RC pilots think. Keeping a glider in the air for long periods of time is extremely difficult to do, even in good thermals if you have no instruction on how to do it. I have a Sagita 900 down stairs that I can't wait to get into the air. I just need to put a receiver in it.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

Put the first flight on the electro bird tonight.Tech Details are exactly as above with a new 2.4 6chnl Futaba.
Did careful checks of all the surfaces and range checks power on /off.
Steve Dew launched for me so I could concentrate on anything scary,but at half throttle it simply climbed straight up like a big free flight.
We were about fifteen minutes in front of a major thunder storm but I had it up long enough to be really thrilled with how smooth it is in turns with the ailerons,and how easily it reacts to lift wanting to stay up there and not come down.
I used the factory location for CG the model balancing perfectly with no ballast and the big three cell LiPo in an easily reached position behind the motor and under the canopy.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
ModelBuilder
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bill H
Radio of choice:
DX9 iX12 DX18
# of RCs: 50+

Bird of Time

Kevin,

Was the OS .15 engine pylon mounted or in the nose?

Change topic: I think we met at the St Jacobs Rally 2006. If so were you flying a Yak 54. Can you tell me which QQ Yak that was and which engine you used?

Thanks, Bill
Old 06-17-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

.15 is simply faired in to the nose with a tiny fuel tank behind it.It works and is a lot cheaper than going electric but one has to decide re goo all over the place,no folding prop,vibration to the airframe etc are worth it...
Given the choice and the budget Id go electric but a good outrunner/controller/LiPo/is going to run in the $300+ range ...You pays yer money.....................
Never owned a Yak and am not familar with the St Jacobs rally........must be some other handsome devil you were talking with.......
Old 06-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
ModelBuilder
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bill H
Radio of choice:
DX9 iX12 DX18
# of RCs: 50+

Handsome Devil!

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I had a Bird of Time, should have kept it. The nose mounting I observe works the best. It's a bid plane to launch. It may a good candidate for affordable aero towing. I had a CG Cub and the Bird and towing was the plan. Sold them both. RC Guys are coming out with a 1/5th Agwagon. That would be a good tug. A bird of Time would be the right size.

Maybe one of these days.

Cheers, Bill
Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #7

Total Props: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McGrath
.........must be some other handsome devil you were talking with.......
YA RIGHT said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw!!!!!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in