general question about rotors - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
jeffjs

I am: Jeff S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum dx7i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Question general question about rotors

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello,

I'm fairly new to flying helis and I bought a used blade 400 and wanted to inspect it. My question, is it safe to run the motor without the blades on the main rotor?

Thanks

- Jeff
jeffjs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
Dx7s
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12
Re: general question about rotors

Assuming everything is snug including feathershaft. I wouldn't spool it right up but it won't hurt anything.
Blade 130X
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Agreed, if you're just trying to test then that's fine but don't put full power with no load.

As a note though, this isn't your first single rotor heli right?
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
jeffjs

Radio of choice:
Spektrum dx7i

Great I didn't think it would cause a problem, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the quick replies. No this isn't my first single rotor heli but it is the first kit model (?). I have a blade 120, which I'm pretty good at flying.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

I'd suggest you take a look at the following.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

The guys writing is a bit strange but the lessons he makes you go through will get you up with a much higher chance of success.

A B400 is a much different type of heli over the 120. The 120 has a 45deg off set head and is fixed pitch. The B400 has a 90deg head (relationship between the flybar and main blades) so it's not going to be stable like the 120 and it won't return to level when you let go of the stick on its own. If you input a direction it will continue in that direction until you input the opposite direction.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
jeffjs

Radio of choice:
Spektrum dx7i

Yeah I've been flying the model in Phoenix rc simulator and have noticed that. I think I'll practice alot more in the sim and put on the training gear for the first few flights.

It's fun learning about the different parts of the heli, I've upgraded the receiver and am thinking of upgrading to aluminium cnc'd parts. Also upgrading the servos, but all this in the future, no sense in rushing.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R

TBH, you're better off with plastic over cnc as a beginner. they are more forgiving and cheaper. plus metals will transmit shock to other parts of the heli. upgrade the servos and gyro first they will make more difference to the heli than aluminum parts will.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
jak3All3n
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jake O
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
TBH, you're better off with plastic over cnc as a beginner. they are more forgiving and cheaper. plus metals will transmit shock to other parts of the heli. upgrade the servos and gyro first they will make more difference to the heli than aluminum parts will.
+1

i got a used b400 a couple of months ago, all stock except hs65 on cyclic and futaba s3154 on tail. i only upgraded the gyro to a futaba 401. i think the only upgrade a beginner learning to fly would benefit from is a better gyro and tail servo, i never tried the stock servos but with the stock gyro, the tail was all over the place. now, she flies great.
jak3All3n is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in