futaba wall charger and NiMh batteries - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Question futaba wall charger and NiMh batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
does anyone think there will be problems if i use my 50 mah futaba wall charger with my 2000 mah NiMh flight pack. it says nicad only on the charger... i just wondered what (if any) the implications would be.... john
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
JohnM
RCC Contributor

I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5
Re: futaba wall charger and NiMh batteries

John: my understanding is that there is no problem using a NiCad charger to charge NiMh batteries and I have been doing it for years.(using Futaba Wall chargers) However, you should NOT do it employing a charger that measures voltage and amps and is therefore capable of determining when to cut off when the battery is FULL. This type of charger can not make this measurment properly when in NiCad mode charging a NiMh battery.
Also, it is my understanding that a large capacity battery, such as your 2000 mAh, NiMh flight pack should not be charged with a charger putting out less than 200 amps. In other words, you should charge your battery with at least a charger set at 200 amps.
I don't thing charging at 100 or 150 amps would hurt but once broken in, the battery should be charged at 200 amps. . . I know others, more knowledgable in this area than me will comment. . . All the best - John M.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

JohnM - I think you must mean MILLI-AMPS?
John, with a regular charger like you want to use, it wouldn't matter but it would take 45 to 48 hours to fully charge a 2000mAh NiMH pack - apparently NiMH don't mind being charged at a much reduced rate unlike NiCds did but you should really look around for a charger that puts out more current, like JohnM says. Lots of people must have older Hitec 340 s and the like that would do the job very well, actually.
I even have one myself that I don't use anymore. It would work very well.
I have a similar problem with the battery in my new Airtronics Tx, it is a 6-cell 2000mAH pack, so normal Tx chargers are of no use. But they caution against using fancy chargers.
I found an old one from an RC boat that fills the bill nicely.
Saved $19 plus $12 or $14 mailing!
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

I have two Futaba chargers and the voltage is so low that I will not use them to charge my regular packs. I end up with less than half the run times when I use the them. I thought I had diminished capacity batteries but it was just the charger.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Total Props: 0

One of the best chargers for RX and TX batteries is the ACE DDVC (dual digital vari charger). This has two independent channels that let you charge at a constant variable (I.E. you set the rate) charge rate. Anywhere from 5 mAh to 3000 mAh or there about.
This way you can charge you NiHM and NiCd and lead at 1/10C (or any other rate you want) regardless of their capacity. I have not used a wall wart charger for decades.
Beware of using peak detect chargers all the time. They may allow a pack to become out of balance. The best way to balance a Nixx pack is 14 to 20 hours at 1/10C charge rate.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
JohnM
RCC Contributor

I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

Thanks for the correction - Milli amps it is! John M.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
50%300SFlyer
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Clemmens

This Dymond Super Turbo NIMH / NICAD charger, would be perfect for your batteries! It is completely adjustable.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=111489
Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
robonline
RCC Contributor

I am: rob z

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50%300SFlyer View Post
This Dymond Super Turbo NIMH / NICAD charger, would be perfect for your batteries! It is completely adjustable.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=111489
I do not want to interfere with your charger sale but as I said before, a peak detect charger should not be the ONLY charger you use for RX TX batteries. You must be able to slow charge (1/10C) once in awhile, in order to balance NiXX batteries and the Dymond Super Turbo Charger is a peak detect fast charger. It would be good for fast field charging though. Interesting how fast your Ace DDVC sold, great charger.
robonline is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
50%300SFlyer
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Clemmens

Quote:
Originally Posted by robonline View Post
I do not want to interfere with your charger sale but as I said before, a peak detect charger should not be the ONLY charger you use for RX TX batteries. You must be able to slow charge (1/10C) once in awhile, in order to balance NiXX batteries and the Dymond Super Turbo Charger is a peak detect fast charger. It would be good for fast field charging though. Interesting how fast your Ace DDVC sold, great charger.
Actually this Dymond charger, will charge at a rate as low as .1A [100ma], cycle your batteries and more.

More info on it can be found here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396852
Old 01-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Smile Re: futaba wall charger and NiMh batteries

hey guys, thanks so much for all the info. i actually have a Triton EQ that i use all the time for charging. the reason for my original post was because i sometimes know what i will be flying the next day and i like to plug everything in the night before and then just get up and go flying. i wondered if i could plug my Tx and Rx(2000 Mah NiMH) into the wall charger safely, but from what i read here the wall charger is totally inadequate for an Rx pack of that size. thanks again for all the input... cheers, john
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in