What goes thunk and then thud? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #21
jamesbissonjr
RCC Master Contributor

I am: James B

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker
I have had my DA50 for over 6 months now and to date, not a single problem at all. Can't wait to fire her up for the first time to see how it runs...
ROTFLMAO
jamesbissonjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #22
wingburner
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba.18sz
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 21
As long as the pot is stirred I'm happy. They're all good engines,have fun and fly what you buy like it was stolen.
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #23
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Total Props: 0
flying attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner
fly what you buy like it was stolen.
I've been in this hobby for about 10 or 12 years and I couldn't agree more. I only really started to have alot of fun in the past 3 or 4 years as I have adopted this attitude. Some people might think I'm crazy for treating my planes the way I do but I have alot more fun when i don't give a crap about my plane, especially since I fly mostly the popular ARF's that you can replace for a couple hundred bucks, if not less. Now my 34%, I will take good care of it however i'm gonna fly it just as hard as I would fly a 40 sized ARF. If it goes in, which it will sooner or later, I'll just buy another one and keep on flyin.
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:11 AM   #24
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Re: flying attitude

If your going to put it in.. you want to buy my suk before its to late

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz-to-tha-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner
fly what you buy like it was stolen.
I've been in this hobby for about 10 or 12 years and I couldn't agree more. I only really started to have alot of fun in the past 3 or 4 years as I have adopted this attitude. Some people might think I'm crazy for treating my planes the way I do but I have alot more fun when i don't give a crap about my plane, especially since I fly mostly the popular ARF's that you can replace for a couple hundred bucks, if not less. Now my 34%, I will take good care of it however i'm gonna fly it just as hard as I would fly a 40 sized ARF. If it goes in, which it will sooner or later, I'll just buy another one and keep on flyin.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:14 AM   #25
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Thats alright brother jason, evertime I see the topic line I sware it was about my old other manuf motor going for fingers

Man I need to put my old mufflers on.. I getting sick of flying and hearing the birds churping at the same time.LOL

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
The topic was started to poke a little fun at Rob and make light of the fact that he just lost a plane. These things happen...
No product is completely perfect. If anyone knows of any, let me know so I can invest as much money as I can in that company.

DA is a great engine...as Kevin mentioned so are all of the rest of them.
I find it funny when people get offended because you make fun of a product they bought.

DA has a great rep and I am sure they will take good care of Rob as they do the rest of their customers.

Jason
Old 06-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #26
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Ramz wrote:"I've heard of all kinds of problems with the 50's however you almost never hear anything about the 100's... "

Ramz, I think the key word here is "heard"! You know the old saying: Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see....may have some truth here with this matter!

While in Toledo this year I talked to the folks at the DA booth and was asking about the DA 50 problems. They said it all starts with only one person having a problem and then comes the hype! All of a sudden all DA50's are mysteriously having problems and are no good. To that date, April 2, they had only had a couple of honest problems with the 50s but they became swamped with e-mails with folks wanting their engines sent back for upgrades. To keep their customers happy they will check out any 50 and do any available upgrades but even then, I was told that in 99.9% of the cases it was totally unnecessary. He told me to fly the 50 for the season and then send it in to them and they will check it over thouroughly and do the upgrades at that time, free of charge....IF I feel I need it done at that point!

It seems that some folks who fly other brand engines are always looking for ways to convince themselves that their engines are the best and when the competition has a problem of any sort, its capitalized on big time!

As has been said, most engines of brand X Y and Z are great engines and any manufacturer can and does have an issure from time to time. But please consider the issue here and how DA is handling the matter! Their service record is second to none and even though they honestly believe that even if untouched the DA50"s out there will ever have any kind of serious problem, they are willing to and have been taking back the engines and doing these upgrades to keep their customers happy. I honestly wonder how many of the other Manufacturers would be willing to go to those lengths for so many customers and do it for no charge??

I am not saying this just because I own a DA50. Actually, as my last post jokingly stated, I haven't even run it yet to form an opinion. I purchased this engine because first of all and most important to me, the price was right, it was the engine size that I needed and DA has a great reputation for relyabliity and service! Had I been able to get a ZDZ 50 for the same price I may have went with that engine as I know their reputation also.....!!!

My engine will be fired up soon in my new Extra 330L. Come on guys, put your money where your engine is and meet me on the flight line at the next IMAC contest and lets have some fun instead of taking things way too seriously.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 PM   #27
jamesbissonjr
RCC Master Contributor

There's no doubt that any of these engines are great performers. Just looking at the number of them out there depicts this. What I was wondering is in a case such as an engine failure, with any engine whether it be gas or glow, (if indeed it's determined that that's what happened here) has there ever been any compensation for the aircraft it was in? I've heard of one person having an ARF literally fall apart in the air half way down the fuse and damage was done to the engine. Sort of a backwards scenerio. In his case, the manufacturer covered the cost of repairs to the engine.

I'm thinking that it's just unfortunate luck that it happens once in a while and that you have to bite the bullet on the kit. It just pains me to even think about an $800 kit down the tube.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #28
sarawnty
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen J
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

DA's

I have an old DA150 bought when they first came out in 1998 / 1999. It's serial number 90 something and has approximately 1500 flights on it. I was having trouble getting it to run right and called Dave Johnson at DA. We both decided that I should just send it in to him and he would take a look at it. He also said that they had a small batch of bad DA50 crank wrist pins. He said that I should send my newer 50 in and they would upgrade it with a new crank. So I did. Later in the week Dave called me back and told me that they discovered I had installed the ignition magnet incorrectly on my 150. To make a long story real short, they put a new updated crank into my 150, new front bearing, new prop hub, new gaskets and sent it back along with my updated 50, free of charge. Now that's service and that's why I will always buy DA. And yes, I have had 2 3W's and a Zenoah 62.
Regards,
Steve
Old 06-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #29
jamesbissonjr
RCC Master Contributor

Service like that is hard to come by. Too bad I couldnt' get that kind of service for our electronics up here. The locals actually lose items before they even get a chance to see what's wrong with them!
Old 06-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #30
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

A little off topic but I need a gasoline engine for a plane that i am getting and I would like to take a look at DA engines, but I can't find a website for them or a store that carries them. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in