Training Gear - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Popeye
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brian Piper

Total Props: 1
Training Gear

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
have a T-Rex 450SE & a T-Rex 500. I have flowen inside the house with a Hirobo Quark very well for many months. Also have had some training on the Sim 3.5. Now I wanted to move outside with a better heli. I have been hoovering and making just regular movements with the T-Rex's. I have made some home made training gear. I have had two small crashes and now I am wondering I should try to hover and fly without the training gear. Can someone help me out.
Thanks newbie.
Popeye is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: Training Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
have a T-Rex 450SE & a T-Rex 500. I have flowen inside the house with a Hirobo Quark very well for many months. Also have had some training on the Sim 3.5. Now I wanted to move outside with a better heli. I have been hoovering and making just regular movements with the T-Rex's. I have made some home made training gear. I have had two small crashes and now I am wondering I should try to hover and fly without the training gear. Can someone help me out.
Thanks newbie.
i would recomend you do some more hovering and forward flight..when you have that down try some nose in hovers before you remove the training gear.
i removed my training gear when i got a set of floats. wider that reg gear and help out on hard landings.(practiced some water landings and take offs in the pool)
i found that the longer i left the training gear on the harder it was to fly with out them.
but thats just me.
good luck with the out door flying.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Popeye
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundcrew View Post
i would recomend you do some more hovering and forward flight..when you have that down try some nose in hovers before you remove the training gear.
i removed my training gear when i got a set of floats. wider that reg gear and help out on hard landings.(practiced some water landings and take offs in the pool)
i found that the longer i left the training gear on the harder it was to fly with out them.
but thats just me.
good luck with the out door flying.
Ok, Guys thanks for the info, yes I have been hovering front to back, back to front hovering in one spot depending on the wind. I also can go side to side .I was doing this with bothe the T-Rex 450SE and the T-Rex 500 which was alot more stable. I crashed both helis beacuse I paniced and droped the helis down from about two feet and they bounced and landed on thier sides. the T-rex 450 had boom damage and the T-Rex 500 main gear teeh chipped a little. I need hlep on not to panic., Iguess I have in the back of my mind CRASH $$$$$$.
Any more advise PLEASE
Thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Keep practicing on the SIM, crashes with the SIM are alot cheaper and you start flying right away by pressing the reset button.

When you are able to takeoff and get out of trouble without panic, you are ready to try the same thing in reallife.

When you are able to get out of trouble in reallife, the training gear is ready to come off...

Good Luck,

Gordon

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Popeye
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiver View Post
Keep practicing on the SIM, crashes with the SIM are alot cheaper and you start flying right away by pressing the reset button.

When you are able to takeoff and get out of trouble without panic, you are ready to try the same thing in reallife.

When you are able to get out of trouble in reallife, the training gear is ready to come off...

Good Luck,

Gordon
With the Sim I am OK, I can take off and land, It's just when I spool up these heli My mind say be evry carefull crashes cost.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:

The SIM is different from reallife; the mistakes cost more in realife! Case and point, I had a major crash just today with my Raptor, frame, boom, spindle, main and tail grips, a total rightoff! Engine, receiver, gyro, and servos all survived!

Where was the reset button...!!!

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #7

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiver View Post
The SIM is different from reallife; the mistakes cost more in realife! Case and point, I had a major crash just today with my Raptor, frame, boom, spindle, main and tail grips, a total rightoff! Engine, receiver, gyro, and servos all survived!

Where was the reset button...!!!
ouch.. i agree that the sime is real differant that the real thing.
i can hover inverted with the sim but i have a real hard time with nose in hover in real life.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
leopard1
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Paul Petrie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

One thing I noticed about my Eflite models is that they are subject to alot of ground effect when hovered too close to the ground. When I was training with my training gear on I noticed the ground effect went away when I decided to go "no guts, no glory" one day and immediately shot it up about chest hight upon spool up. Hovered darn near rock steady! In my shock I panicked, zeroed the throttle and thanked the stars that the training gear absorbed the hard landing

Not sure if this same effect happens with the T-Rex's though.

Added note: CX2 is prone to "ceiling? effect". LOL
leopard1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:

All helicopters are effected by the "ground effect"! The smaller lighter helicopters just seem to be effected more than the bigger heavier helicopters.

My Raptor (rest in peace) and TREX 600 seem to be affected a little less than my TREX 450 and Blade CP Pro.

MAAC 77725
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
jess232
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jess h
Radio of choice:
futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
Ok, Guys thanks for the info, yes I have been hovering front to back, back to front hovering in one spot depending on the wind. I also can go side to side .I was doing this with bothe the T-Rex 450SE and the T-Rex 500 which was alot more stable. I crashed both helis beacuse I paniced and droped the helis down from about two feet and they bounced and landed on thier sides. the T-rex 450 had boom damage and the T-Rex 500 main gear teeh chipped a little. I need hlep on not to panic., Iguess I have in the back of my mind CRASH $$$$$$.
Any more advise PLEASE
Thanks
Dear Brian, i was reading about the little issue that you have when you get in panic, this is actually a regular problem where all pilots have been through, my advice is to practice a little more in the sim, not just to hover or fly around that at certain point might seem to you a little boring but this will help you fingers to get used to the mouvements with your radio, this will create a sort of MEMORY in your fingers and once you develop memory and confidence enough you won't have to concentrate a lot on what you're flying and specially if you are thinking that you are going to crash, usually in new pilots most of the crashes happen because by trying to overconcentrate they get nervous and panic, Just let your fingers go and eventually you will feel how they react sometimes as by instinct.

Fly with confidence and forget all fears just take it easy, flying helis is actually the most difficult thing to do in this hobby, it will take you a good while but believe me it is worth it.

Jess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in