JR receiver antennae length - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: JR receiver antennae length

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
...right 39" is a 1/4 wave then .... so how would an 1/8 of wave perform?

edit: re-read the OP ... 1/2" short, not antenna cut in half. Most likely a non-issue.

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!

Last edited by marcham; 02-04-2010 at 02:07 PM.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Guys, practically speaking, 1/2 " is not going to affect the range or performance of our receivers.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Jean B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 0

It is a fact that our Tx/Rx operate on 1/4 wave length and there is a formula used to calculate the exact antenna length for a specific frequency. I forgot the formula but it is available on some web sites.

I once did the calculations of all of our frequencies on the 72 band to measure the exact length of the antenna for each frequency. The total difference between channel 11 and channel 60 is about 3/4 on an inch. Given that our signal is able to control and object (plane) at a distance of one (1) mile or 5,280 feet 3/4 on an inch would translate to about 67 feet. Since we (exception taken ) operate our planes (fly them) at about 3,000 feet or less within good field of vision then, 67 feet is really negligeable.

39 inches is close enough to one meter which is really an arbitrary decision for length.

To my knowledge, crystal swapping is nothing more than brand name caprice. I had a great debate on the net a long time ago about this issue and no one proved me wrong to date. If crystal swap was a real issue then I believe that FCC would have ordered the soldering of crystals a long time ago and would have banned synthetisers,

I still look forward to expert comments on this one.

Gelcoat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

when I was usind Deans antennas their instructions indicated to cut the original antenna off leaving between 4 - 6 inches left and then connect the base loaded antenna.....I doubt that 1/2" will matter at all taking this into consideration...
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Some of my JR's come in at 36", others 38 and 39" (got a couple of "other brands" at 30"as well)

Never had a problem with any of them. The math is correct for 1/4 wave at 39". My gut and my experience says anything 36-39" should be OK
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.