How many poeple are flying - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ronald R

Total Props: 0
Re: How many poeple are flying

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
yes we get the odd bit of rain..not that much though............and we don't need to shovel it when it does rain
747man is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #22
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: dave a

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the travelogue. It sounds like a tonne of fun Congrats on winning the 'best civilian' award with your Spacewalker.

Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Well, let's see.......All my friends think I'm nuts for driving all the way to Florida to fly for three days...maybe I am. However, being retired I have the time, and I learned long ago that life can be over in a split second, so live for today.

I went to the first Monsterplane event in 2008 and had a really great time. met lots of really wonderful people and was made welcome there. Part of the reason for going was to meet some of the people I read about in the magazines...Frank Tiano, Frank Noll and lots of others, all very willing to help me as far as pit crew, spotting etc., plus I had never been to that part of the world before.

I took my van and towed my camper trailer and stayed in campgrounds each night. Took 8 days to get there, 8 days back...a great adventure..5000 miles at 9mpg!!!Frank Tiano is a real character and knows how to put on an event.

When I went this past October I had 5 days of snow and ice and COLD weather through Idaho, Montana, S. Dakota, freeways closed in Iowa due to snow...lots of accidents. Rain through Atlanta like I have never seen before in my life...torrential, for hours at a time!

I will probably go again this year. It was a real treat to see Carl Bachhuber's Constellation and B36 and of course, Mac Hodges putting his B29 through it's paces. Unfortunately, none of the Europeans came over due to the very high shipping charges.

What I like about the event is the laid-back atmosphere You have to fly to qualify for any of the awards, but other than that, you fly, talk to people, look at their planes, see how they do things...all very friendly, no dramas, no pressure. I get a kick out of some of the weights of the planes, as Dick Pettit said, "a lot of the big warbirds weighed just under the AMA limit of 55 lbs...imagine that." Carl says his B36 is 99.9 lbs! There were a few planes over the AMA 100 lb. limit, but Frank has his own Ins. in place to cover that. I was ok with the Spacewalker weighing 70lbs. so MAAC still covers me.

If any of you are down in that area around that time, go and see won't be dissapointed.

rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #23
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

I've been flying all winter...granted not on the -20 days. Can't let a little snow slow me down!
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #24
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Last year we had 3.5 feet of snow here and a real winter, in the BC interior. This year there is now snow on the runway and the temps are averaging 5-7C during the day.
Ground is soft from the frost coming out and we lost some grass due to the drought last Summer so no flying at our field right now.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.