RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mike L

Total Props: 0
HPI MT2 Help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys,

So my little brother picked up a used HPI Nitro MT2. Looks well used, and the previous owner says it works fine he has not run it in a couple of years but worked fine and gave him everything required for RTR.

So, he dropped it off to me and we fired it up. Ran like crap... Would stall out almost right away, i would have to adjust the throttle to keep it running but it would crap out when accelerated. I tried adjusting the highspeed/lowspeed and the idel screw seem to do nothing.. In fact it was screwed in tight stopping the carb from opening and closing so I am not sure if its damaged now or not?

However, I am picking up new plugs, fuel ( as i suspect the used stuff is no good ) new heater and i need a gasket for the pipe and possible a new idle screw.

I tore the engine down and cleaned everything up and put it all back together to the instructions specifications and have set the motor back up to the break in mode that the manufacture suggest.

The questions are, With the new stuff i am picking up what else could be causing problems? The image below of the motor does that look normal?

Any one else experience such issues with this motor?

And here it is cleaned up waiting on the new goodies.

Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Wes Quist
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7s
# of RCs: 10

Re: HPI MT2 Help

Does the engine have good compression? When you had the engine tore down did you see any scaring on the cylinder?
inhissteps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mike L

It does have compresson, i did not see any scaring, i have to take it apart tonight again to replace the spacer rings. one is cracked and install a gasget on the pipe as it seems to be missing so i will double check the inside of the engine.. but it did look good.

I am honesty hoping its just some old fuel. its 1/2 a jug he got and it's been sitting a while! The jug was kind of sucked in before i opened it so i am sure there has been some evaproration and such throwing the mix off.
Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 12

I don't like to use gaskets on the exhaust (use hi temp silicone)the gaskets will blow in time and cause lean out ,also it is a good idea to clean the motor first before you disasemble,this help reduce the chance of grit getting in the engine and causing damage when removing parts.also check the bearings to make sure they are smooth if they feel rough change them ,also check the starter shaft excessive play will cause air leak and make it hard to start and poor Idle,also check for scoreing on the rotory valve ,this is a sign of poor air filter and will also cause problems .check for rod play ,check for cylinder scores & cylinder pinch .

after doing all these checks I evaluate if it is worth repair .

hope some of this helps .Roger
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.