General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor
I am: Real D

Total Props: 0
Re: Getting micro-duped?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here's my two cents on some of those indoor flyers above (since my opinion differ a bit).

Parkzone Vapor: Boring? I can do 4 loops in a 12ft ceiling room with cheap 138mah flightmax battery, land on a dime, fly very evenly 4 cm above the floor for as long as I want. It's very resilient, very cheap and even a cheap battery will give you 20 minutes of flight time. Highly recommended for beginners, but still lots of fun for more experienced pilots. Sure there's a few weak parts that can be broken, but they can also be glued back and reinforced with little 30awg wiring and expoxy). Mine is now a bit heavier, but nearly industructable.

Blade Msr: Great little heli that you can fly in a VERY small room. Goes lightning fast if you push it (when you brake to avoid incoming wall, this little thing will end up being 90degree or parallel to the wall). And if you hit the wall? Pick it up and fly again, and again. Weak landing gear (again epoxy and 30awg wiring will save you a few trips to LHS) and sadly very weak tail motor (You cannot hit the tail motor or endcap will pop. They sell endcap protector, but tape goes a long way. Even that, hours and hours of flight time will kill them. Also, it's a pain to have to replace batteries every 5 minutes. (Fly hard, and use cheap 138mah battery... Looking forward to new 160mah battery from HK)

Parkzone Suhkoi and Mustang: Can only fly them outside because I have 12ft ceiling and 30X50ft room. Fun, but very sensitive to wind, so basically, I would stick with parkflyers. Wish I had access to a very large gym or dome though : ) And sure enough, flying in winter is tricky because those small lipo are really cold sensitive! Small battery mit highly recommended. (holding "next" battery in your mouth to keep it warm while flying is not a bad idea either, but not recommended : )
Real Gambler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

I love my vapor... hated the sukhoi and won't purchase any other Micro's.... i'll maybe someday try the blue foam, but i'm ham handed, so maybe not....

my 6 year old trashes the heck out of my vapour and it keeps coming back for more!!!
Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc S

Total Props: 39

Dennis, by golly, I'll take you up on that offer.

I suppose I already knew the scratch built stuff out there would be better. Quickly doing a search, I see a ton of free designs and unlimited possibilities ........... I need to get into the game. ...... I need to find more freakin time!

You can send me a message as to what the total is for the foam shipped and how you want to get paid.

Postal code is P9N2W9 The rest I'll get to you via messaging.

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Marc the off the shelf, ready to fly units are at best an average compromise. The true indoor high performance are made from depron and are very fragile and will be a disappointment to learn indoor with. The best and most durable indoor we have come up with are the ones made from that blue foam from the US Lowes. If you build them using the Hobby King motors, servos, esc and receivers you can put them together for well under $100. In fact the airframe is dirt cheep you should be able to build couple of spares for the same price.

The electronics and batteries from Hobby King can be bought and mailed direct the foam has to come from the US. I can do the same I did when Gaston started out and mail a bundle to you. Cost is somewhere around $40 to $50 plus shipping unless you know someone who will be in the Windsor area and is willing to pick it up. I go to my US mail box every week let me know if you want some picked up. If I rememer correctly there is 10 two foot by 4 foot sheets in a bundle.

Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Originally Posted by Sharpy01 View Post
Dennis, by golly, I'll take you up on that offer.

I suppose I already knew the scratch built stuff out there would be better. Quickly doing a search, I see a ton of free designs and unlimited possibilities ........... I need to get into the game. ...... I need to find more freakin time!

You can send me a message as to what the total is for the foam shipped and how you want to get paid.

Postal code is P9N2W9 The rest I'll get to you via messaging.

Do it wont believe how amazing these things fly! And survive almost all the bashing you can throw at them.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Rock 114
RCC Contributor
I am: Terry E
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 1

Marc I just cut one the blue foamies out and we are going to make some templates for the club so we can make a pile of them fast. We can see about making more tha one set.
Helis/Bergen intrepid/Bergen intrepid EB/Vario Bell 206 Jet ranger/T-rex 480 pro zyx-s fbl/Gaui X5 beast X/T-rex 250 clone cx-fbl/Warp 360 TracX fbl/Nano cpx/Gaui X3
Fixed wing/PA MX/Sebart 51" sbach 342/3DHS 42"slick/Het F-18/Funtana crrc pro 26
Rock 114 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

I didn't think much of the Sukhoi and mustang either as they are limited to what they can do, so I ripped the guts out of both of them and made a half sized version of the Catzazz in my avatar, 15 in span. and the smaller version of the Flycart. I also converted them over to brushless, which really woke them up. These are made from EPP foam from the local hobby shop, 6mm. Many other varieties in the drill hall, like the shockeys, IFOs, Bugs, and helis etc. We divide the time up into 10 min periods as the featherweights can't compete with the shockeys, etc. Helis have their own time. the minis,MSR twin rotor jobs at one end, the bigger 450 sized at the other.Couple of hints for the MSR. When I saw the caps coming off the tail rotor motors when they got hit on the rotor end, I pulled off the tail rotor and put a small plastic tubing long enough so the tail rotor ended up at the end of the shaft when put back on. Now when it gets wacked on the end, it puts the pressure on the rotor end of the motor. Mine never has come apart. Also, get the single 240ma batts from HK and make up your own. I get an honest 10 mins out of these batts. They're only a couple or three bucks a piece. The heli can't tell the difference in weight.
Have fun Gord,eh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiddycart 005.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	70001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kittyzass 007.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	70002  
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

I have both the Vapor and the Sukhoi...vapor is great (although touch and go's are a bit hard since the dog ate the landing gear) and the sukhoi flys...but thats about it. (Kinda sux)

looking forward to an electric build day here.

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

I flew the cub again tonight and it's a bloody pylon racer. I'd put it up against the mustang speedwise any day.
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I agree with the Sukhoi and Mustang not suited to indoor unless its a golf dome. For Regular gyms the Sukhoi and Mustang can only fly ovals- That's Okay I guess...IF you like to fly fast and keep turning left (did read on RCM how they are using the mustangs for indoor pylon racing)

I did buy the Vapor for my kids this winter- Now it ends up that its me that flies the vapor more than them And like the other guys say- you can really throw it around and if flies a LONG time on a single battery. The Ember isnt too bad either- but the vapor can even fly in my living room, something the ember cant do
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #20
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0

We're flying all sorts indoors here in the Sault - we are flying in a basic high school gym - single court size to boot.

I like my Sukhoi -I converted it to the GWS prop and rebalanced it - added tail weight - inverted, rolls, immelmanns, cuban eights - all in the space of teh gym The Sukhoi is the first generation aerobat - I'm waiting for the next generation
The Mustang is a better flyer indoors than the Sukhoi, but not aerobatic.
My biggest complaint is the prop shaft - we've broken several on both my Sukhoi and the J-3 Cubs.

They all fly significantly better when bound to a "real" transmitter - the first Mustang was very difficult to fly with the included Parkzone tx - when bound to my 9303 and a little expo dialed in - big difference.

We're now taking the guts from the Sukhois and building stick & tissue types

Chris Moes has a Spitfire, Hurricane, DH Tiger Moth, Islander (with twin Air Hog motors), some WWII Jap twin fighter thing - I've snagged the Sukhoi parts
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.