New comer! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3
Re: New comer!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Welcome! Paris, Ontario. Have you paid a visit to Paris Junction Hobbies?

To start a nitro engine in a plane, you could use a `chicken stick` or an electric starter with a cone attachment to fit over the spinner. Or, for those too machooo, you could use your hand!

Thanks,

Gordon

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
dbratt

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Smith View Post
The next meeting of the Brant flyers Club is Wed. March 3rd at the Burford Public Library. Meeting starts at 7.30. Attend the meeting and have all of your questions answered.

For starters, forget the P51 for a first airplane.

Ed S
Thanks for the info Ed. As for a airplane, what direction do you suggest I follow then?
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
dbratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiver View Post
Welcome! Paris, Ontario. Have you paid a visit to Paris Junction Hobbies?

To start a nitro engine in a plane, you could use a `chicken stick` or an electric starter with a cone attachment to fit over the spinner. Or, for those too machooo, you could use your hand!

Thanks,

Gordon
Havn't been by Junction just yet. We just moved into town. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
E Smith
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the info Ed. As for a airplane, what direction do you suggest I follow then?
Attend the meeting. Speak to members that learned to fly with the proper equipment and club instruction.

Ed S
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
dbratt

Quote:
Attend the meeting. Speak to members that learned to fly with the proper equipment and club instruction.

Ed S
I will be sure to make it out that night then. Is it located near Maple & King?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
sled
RCC Apprentice

I am: Barry B.

Welcome to a great hobby with some of the best people you will find anywhere.

As for which plane to choose as your first trainer, you will get as many opinions as there will be responses to your post. Myself I trained on a Hobbistar 60 MkIII nice big high wing trainer with a semi-symmetrical airfoil. Three others in my class of 2009 including darrenR, all learned on the PTS P51, and did well enough to learn their wings.

A different path to follow would be to find out what type of aircraft the person who will be doing your training is familiar with. This will greatly reduce the anxiety level of both the trainer & the student.

The idea of the PTS (Progressive Training System) is you get two planes for the price of one. Pull all the training stuff of the plane and you get a nice sport flier.

I don't know much about this hobby, but this I do know.....one plane is never enough, or two , three, ........

sled

MAAC #80297
Young's Point RC Model Flying Club

PZ P51 BL
GP Ultra Sport 60
GP Ultra Sport 60 Ver II
TF Spitfire
"Rob, grab another trash bag ...... I'm going to need it!"
sled is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
darrenR
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: darren r
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 15+

Quote:

For starters, forget the P51 for a first airplane.

Ed S
Explain this please? as its sold as a trainer and flys like a trainer as I learnt to fly fixed wing with this very plane? all the instuctors at our club liked teaching a handfull of us on it,So why dont you like this plane? or just the simple fact you dont think someone learning should learn on anything that looks not like a highwing trainer?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
inhissteps
RCC Contributor

I am: Wes Quist
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7s
# of RCs: 10

Well I'm going to take a stab at this one. I agree with Ed.
Starting with a high wing is a much better option as the wings will be on top of the fuselage. This causes the weight of the fuselage to hang under the wing. This is much more stable than having the weight of the fuselage sitting on top of the wings, as it is with a low wing RC airplane.

With a low wing airplane the weight is on top of the wings and gravity is constantly trying to make the airplane fly up side down.

I'm not saying the Hangar 9 Mustang RTF is bad as it comes RTF and classed as a trainer but it has a semi-symmetrical, low wing plus its a tail dragger.
With the semi-symmetrical wing foil they provide less lift and they fly faster. The mustang will be less forgiving at lower speeds and will be more prone to tip stall at lower speeds.

A Good starting point for a person who has no to little experience would be a high lift, high wing and flat bottom. IF your into Hangar 9 the Alpha is a flat bottom, high wing trainer.

Personally I started with a Hobbico Nexstar and I just loved it.

This is all IMO
inhissteps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
darrenR
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: darren r
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 15+

all I can say is if you get the chance to flyone you should try it cause it flys just like my alpha but easier to land !!
and anyone just starting out shoud feel confident learning on this,unless of course its to much plane for the instructorlol

and with the wing droops attached and the goofy 3 bladed prop it is a trainer!! but when your ready you can remove them for a more sporty feeling plane,
Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #20
hellyeh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Gerald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 13

Before you run out and purchase a plane , go to the meeting and listen to what the guys are telling you . After you have heard what they have to say , decide which way to go from there . You may find a pretty good deal on everything you need to get started alot cheaper than buying new stuff right off the bat . You're on the right track though , at least you are wanting some help .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in