General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
IAR 80
RCC Contributor
I am: Ovidiu M.

Total Props: 0
Re: This makes me mad

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I got " stabed" once by them, few years ago.Consequently, I refused to buy some hard to find Kyosho parts, from the seller who had them, but couldn't garantee which carrier will be used, "as they have a special diversified shipping system for super fast delivery,blah, blah..".My response was short: FORGET IT"
IAR 80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
I am: Evan O.

Originally Posted by leopard1 View Post
Same here. USPS or nothing
...add me to the list!

USPS or nothing.
etotheo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

I have always used USPS for any shipping both ways. I live in Windsor and have a mail box in the US near Propshop Hobbies. Every week mail box then Propshop. Best of both worlds great hobby shop and for what he doesn't carry mail order does. I declare the value at the border and pay the taxes only.

There is a warehouse that will accept larger packages at the cost of $6 a shipper. A skid plastic wrapped that can be taken off with a fork truck, $6. A car rolled or driven off a trailer $6. Once ordered a retro wood stove for a friend that needed to be loaded with the fork truck $6. Membership to this warehouse is free they need your email to let you know your stuff has arrived.

Past experience is usually under $100 have a nice day and they wave you on through.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Shipped a number of things from the US...never use UPS. I live in Calgary though and can always self-clear.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alain F

Total Props: 7

Been there, done that... never again UPS

Now I get my airplanes sent to a parcel service just on the other side of the border when USPS is not available. I prefer to drive one hour to the border than give any money to those crooks at UPS.

Shotgun06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 4

I have had problems with both UPS and FedEx as well. I bought a cowl for a Super Chipmunck way back in September/ 09. I found one on Ebay( the only place I did find one) and paid for it through Paypal. They said they would ship UPS, and I still haven't seen my cowl. Then they said they would send another by FedEx, and that one hasn't showed either. While I realize it's not an issue with Ebay, this is the only time I have had any problems with an order from the US. Neg. feedback is my only alternative here, and I'm out about $50.00US.

USPS will be the only way I order from the US from here on out!!

Greg Dressler
Humboldt, Sask.

"If it weren't for gravity, I could fly forever!!"
Wingman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:17 AM   #17
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jerry Kutra

Thanks for sharing guys

Don't get me wrong I will still use FedEx for shipping at work and I do use them to clear all my P1 stuff but there is never a clearance charge and I do believe FedEx has stopped shipping ground international there for it is included in the price.

Next time I will chose the express option or just use USPS.

Something to watch out for from above artical

You think that’s bad. UPS screwed over every Canadian getting a free upgrade for Vista back when it first came out. UPS was charging a brokerage fee for delivering the “free Upgrades”. The value of the shipment was written out as $21 (products valued at less that $20 are exempt from brokerage fees) $21 which was actually the price most Canadians paid to ship the product.
The actual value of the product for customs purposes was ZERO as it was already something they paid for in the original purchase of their computer.
I called UPS and they said it was the fulfillment company’s problem. That they had likely filled out the forms improperly….. for every Canadian receiving the free upgrade … I kind of doubt that. When I called Microsoft’s fulfillment company they told me they had filled out the documentation as directed by their UPS rep…. for every Canadian receiving the upgrade….
I guess the commission on $2,000,000 of overcharged brokerage fees is pretty good.
Now that windows 7 is shipping using the same method, it will be neat to see if they overcharge everyone again.
Hard job competing with gravity.
eyeinsky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #18
RCC Apprentice
I am: wayne G
Radio of choice:

I look elsewhere for the product if the US supplier only ships UPS.
Shipping charges plus Fifty dollars brokerage fee is too stiff.
Most Ebay sellers only use USPS now .
bsa1962 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #19
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joel D

Total Props: 7

I buy RC stuff from AMainHobbies for a long time now and I use the UPS overnight express or super saver or expedited. Any of the three that will do air shipping. I only pay GST and PST when the parcel arrived in my door. Brokerage fee is included with the shipping charge when you use those "shipped by plane method". And I get my stuff overnight from California. My last order from them was worth $580. Only paid the UPS man $75 something. Nothing more nothing less.

I make sure I do not click the UPS STANDARD TO CANADA shipping option. That is the time that you will get raped by brokerage fee. Never use that shipping method even how small the declared value of the item.

It is also listed in their website:

The good thing with USPS. Sometimes, my parcel get pass customs without being charged with any tax. Most especially for small items. It just take some time to get to me. Even orders from Tower Hobbies, shipped from their chicago warehouse.
4wdmt is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

In defense of UPS here, they clearly post the cost of brokerage fee's on their website. It's based on the value of the shipment. The first poster said he got dinged $83 on $200 worth of goods. I'm willing to bet that that was not all brokerage fee's but, Canadian taxes too! Why are you blaming UPS for Canadian taxes?

Also, if you don't want to pay their brokerage fee, they have no problem with you brokering it yourself or assigning your own broker (which is what I do).

I think their service is excellent. Try tracking your package using USPS You'll be lucky if your package shows up in their system before it's delivered!

With UPS you get notified by email of every movement and know exactly when it's going to arrive. If you need to make an inquiry, you get professional customer service, with the post office, you're lucky if you can get some bumbling government buffoon on the phone!

Also, if it's a item of value, with UPS you can fully insure it. With Postal, max. insurance is $675 usd.

I guess you could always do as "Madman" suggests, send it back and let the sender incur double charges (do you think it goes back for free?) or not pay the bill and let them go after the sender ( nice attitude, I'd love to do business with Madman)

Phantoms Phorever

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 02-19-2010 at 08:45 AM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.