RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: herman j

Total Props: 0
glow fuel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was wondering how long glow fuel stays good. I have 2/3 of a jug full of cool power 10% . I think it's 3 seasons old.

Thanks for any advise.
hevee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: glow fuel

use it for fire starter when camping this year.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
I am: Evan O.

Right from there website,

"Unopened and stored in ideal conditions (between 60-80 degrees) it will remain usable for several (5-7) years. As the fuel begins to degrade it will increasingly lack the punch of new fuel. Really the only way to tell if the fuel is good is to run it. If it idles well and the transition is good on the ground, use it. You might notice a little less "bark" in a fuel that has been stored for several years but it won't hurt the engine.

Opened would vary according to how much moisture the fuel has sponged out of the air. A quick way to ruin a gallon of fuel is to drain your tank at the end of your flying day back into the fuel jug. What is happening is that your fuel is picking up moisture from the pressurized tank. The carburetor is sucking in humid air and after combustion the moisture laden air is entering into your tank via the tube from your muffler. When you return the fuel from your tank to your fuel jug you are contaminating the rest of the fuel in the jug.

My recommendation is to run your tank dry at the end of the day, but whether you do that or not don't return the fuel from your tank to your fuel jug."
etotheo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: robert j

in the interest of being cheap, are you a good flyer can handle a dead stick? mix it with new fuel and use it its like 20 a gallon for 5% now. ive done this many many times. or if still in the learning or early stages chuck it like the fellows suggest
volksman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

2/3 jug 3 seasons old is most likely contaminated with moisture.

How much is impossible to say. In any case, moisture is the enemy.

Some engines are more tolerant to old fuel than others. I had an OS 1.08 that would run fine on any old weasel snot you could dump into it. No way with my Super Tigre 2500, which will not operate properly on anything but fresh fuel with the proper oil content.

My oldest glow fuel was mixed with the gasoline for my weed whacker and lawnmower. It really helped their high end performance. Those babies really spool up on glow fuel.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13

Rejuvenation pellets: I bought some pellets off ebay from Funship Models in Florida, From the data sheet "Molecular Sieves 1/16" Type 3A". I bought some stuff off a guy and with it came half a gallon of 5% fuel. It had some stuff floating around in it and it did not look just right. I put a small wad of polly-ester pillow stuffing in the bottom of my funnel and pored it through a couple of times. I put in some of these beads and left it a month. It was clean and looked a lot better. I tried it on a couple of engines designed to run on 5% or less nitro and it worked perfect. I suspect that it is the same stuff that they put in snow machines and personal water craft to absorb water, it comes in a little plastic screened container that you drop in your fuel tank.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tom G

Wow, it will probably have a little more water in than a new gallon but definitely try running it first. If it runs through a tank on the ground with no problem it will be fine in the air.
If the fuel is not reliable then keep it for cleaning engines, flushing carbs, or breaking in engines..
TomG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Sure are lots of myths that won,t die .And this is one of them . If the fuel was sealed , it,s GOOD ........................PERIOD

I,d love to take it off youre hands , I,ve used fuel much older than that

I,m not that much of a pro to tell the difference .

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

Etotheo,that is correct.You covered it all.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10

Here is the text of an earlier post I made on this topic:

My son gave me a PARTIAL (3/4) jug of fuel he had sitting around. It had the internal plastic cap in place, and the outer screw cap on it. It had been stored in his garden shed where it gets very hot in the summer. So hot that the bottle was venting fumes past the seals. When it cooled off, the inner seal reseated and the bottle partially collapsed on itself. It sat there for at least six years.

I put it in my engines and used it all. Ran just fine, thank you very much. Saved me about 15 bux on fuel!
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.