Great Planes products SUCK!! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
RCC Contributor
I am: Bill G

Total Props: 0
Re: Great Planes products SUCK!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I,ve built many airplanes from scratch, from kits, and from ARF's. ARF's were always considdered inferior to a kit built aircraft. Todays ARF's are of much better quality but still not as good as one glued and covered on your own workbench.
Of course the kit built plane will cost you more money to complete than the ARF,And considerably more time, Hence the reason we buy ARF's.
Most ARF's are very well designed, look at the ease of assembly, the jig locked parts, The wood choice is usually inferior and sanding has a lot to be considdered. Things like re-inforced landing gear are rare.Warps are many, and most hardware inferior.
When I purchase an ARF, I usually re-infore the firewall and landing gear block. I change out the plastic clevise, and usually get rid of the cloth hinges (personal prefrence) The cloth hinges are ok and last a long time if glued properly, but I like controll surfaces that move under their own weight.
I do change the fuel tank stoppers to Dubro, Had a few swell and leak after one season.
All and all some people could not build or cover a plane as nice as an ARF, and don't have the time. I'm still flying a 6 year old U can do 60 with the only issues being repaired landing gear and fuel stopper. Probably have 8 gallons of fuel through this one.
I guess if you want the best, Buy a Toyota ?
Bill Green 18250
Sun Parlor RC Flyers
BillGreen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Scotte

Total Props: 2

Originally Posted by BillGreen View Post
Aeroworks & Chevy...............
__________________ TEAM PILOT
Borderline IMAC Team-MAAC AZD
Scott Esplen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Originally Posted by BillGreen View Post
Lol. I hope that's joke!

I don't really have anything from Great Planes except some building supplies. I've yet to try one of their ARFs, as there are so many better priced/better flying products out there (or at least more respected).

As for ARFs in general, I feel they get a bit of a bum rep. This is only my second season in the hobby, but the ARFs that I've put together haven't been all that bad. In fact, one of the cheapest ones I have has been rock solid without me having to modify anything that wasn't damage caused by my learning curve.

However, once you start building your own planes I have a feeling that, if you have any attention to detail at all, you'll be much more picky. I'm starting to find that out, now that I'm into my third kit.

Something I do love from Great Planes is their sanding bars. I've got the 11", 22" and 33" and they're absolutely indispensable! I've also had good luck with their CAs of late.
Team Great Hobbies
Team Durango Canada
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Harold D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15+

Thumbs up Re: Great Planes products SUCK!!

Well, I had great success with Great Planes..... I had started to assemble my GP Escapade, got the servos installed in the wings, then noticed that 1 wing was missing the stripes, no big deal....would still fly, but then I thought why not send GP an email and see what happens.

Well I got a reply the same day, they would like to see a picture of the wing, done sent it off, then I get another reply telling me they are sending me a whole wing set, not just a decal and I get to keep my other wings for spares.

Hows that for service with a smile.
Happy wife, happy life
sugarpops is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 13

Many ARF's require re-engineering. If you are not an experienced builder, then have a half a dozen guys that are look at the kit before you start it. Common faults are soft T/E stock where the hinges plug in. No plywood reinforcement where the horns are attached, very short dihedral brace and only one. Many of the high stress points are not properly glued or reinforced. Many ARF's have so much of the wood removed that the structure is very weak and the A/C seems to explode after a hard landing. It is worth your while to go into a local hobby shop and have a good look at the ARF before you buy it.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I have built quite a few great planes kits over the yrs.I find the many older kits are well built.But for some of the newer kits they are not built as well.Take the time and send an e-mail to them discuss your problem.but as well i see your frustration the goods should be well contructed from the start.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

sorry to hear of your bad luck with GP Pianodude.... i've had 3 GP planes now. First one was a Seawind EP and the firewall pulled off the plane on the maiden.... they replaced the entire plane and the motor as the shaft was bent when it hit the ground.... so other than the hassle i was happy with their customer service... the second one was the 25% Yak54 and it was a joy to assemble very tight clean built plane!! I was assembling a GHAir 330 Extra at the same time and the quality on the GP was way better!! Third one was a Extra it was fine to...

The best manufacturer i have dealt with is GKM41 Gary has built 3 planes for me now and they've all been beautiful light and strong built planes....:0

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #18
RCC Apprentice
I am: Cameron T
Radio of choice:
futaba 7c

Total Props: 1

Toyota?! HaHaHa!! Dodge trucks, Sig kits and Ducati bikes. No rice burners.(that goes for cars, arfs and bikes).
ccaamm1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 8
Thumbs down Re: Great Planes products SUCK!!

Thats a fiarly bold statement considering what you've owend from them!

Alot of ther smaller local hobby stores carry a the line of Great planes Products,With out them might not be as many local hobby stores? I've owned a few of there planes all with out a hick-up!

On a positive note check out this new pitts from great planes!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpma1421-main.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	71152  
Pour me another One!
FUTABA 14MZ Yeah Buddy!!
GP123cc Beast Mode All Day All Day!
always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris D

Originally Posted by ccaamm1 View Post
Toyota?! HaHaHa!! Dodge trucks, Sig kits and Ducati bikes. No rice burners.(that goes for cars, arfs and bikes).
Except most Toyota's for our market are made in Canada/USA and Sig doesn't seem to be producing kits anymore (besides when was their last new design 1986??).

I love Italian bikes so I have to give you that one though.
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.