Scale Body Cooling - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Scale Body Cooling

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have an MX400 in a jet ranger scale body.

Prior to installing the the scale body, the heli ran at 15 amps in hover and on a 1800mah battery I got 7 minutes per flight without any problems. Battery was fine and just mildly warm.

This scale body is pretty lightweight lexan, but it has very little cooling vents.
this is waht the heli looks like now.

now the heli draws 17 amps, and based on that I should get 6 minutes.

After a few minutes of flying, the heli would drop out of the sky. It did this twice in the gym this weekend and on the second time I checked the ESC- it was smoking hot!. I suspect it overheats and cuts out, causing the heli to drop like a stone. The battery gets really hot too. On my last test flight last night, I touched the motor and it too was hot as heck.

Obviously cooling is a problem.

The only air in on top is here:

and on the bottom this is the cutout:

The MX400 main gear and auto-rotation gear have spokes that are...well, just spokes.(not like the T-rex that has little fan blades that direct cooling air into the heli)

So I would like to ask others out there for what ideas they have had for cooling.

I don't want to cut the side windows out just yet, but if I don't get any suggestions for cooling, that my have to be my next step.

By comparison, I have a T-rex in the HK Jet Ranger scale body that is also fully enclosed, and I don't have any cooling problems whatsoever with that.

The EC135 is flying on HK450 mechanics, but it does not have any side windows, and it too runs cool with no overheating.

Suggestions? Ideas? let me know.

Last edited by Max; 03-02-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 12
Re: Scale Body Cooling

I don't think cooling is the whole problem though good cooling always helps .I think the greater weight on the same throttle pitch curve may be more likely,you could try to use a smaller pinnion to gear the motor for the greater weight .or reduce the pitch at a given throttle.sometimes reducing pitch does not work as well as a gear change because it requires power to spin the head faster even if it has less pitch ,a gear change improves the torque of the motor regardless. I would throw on a new pinion .Roger
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.