Model Airplanes Banned in Cambridge Parks - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #31
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
Re: Model Airplanes Banned in Cambridge Parks

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Leopard 1

We're trying to stay under the radar. This has nothing to do with either club. I posted this as a resident of Cambridge, nothing else. Let me be clear, I do not speak for either club.

As a citizen I have already spoken to my alderman. I am concerned about the picnic in the park issue too.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #32
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Paul Petrie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

Propworn, I think you have summed it up correctly. I too remember flying C/L in my hometown local parks as a kid. Wish I still had my first bird
Niagara Falls had a C/L setup in one park but was too far to ride my bicycle to while carrying my plane...LOL

I wish you luck in your endeavour from the citizen standpoint. I was merely providing a possible solution. I think it is a sad thing though, that MAAC and local clubs want nothing to do with the parkflyer problem. A citizen approaching a town council with the support of a local club or two as well as a National organization would indeed have a better chance of having such by-laws ammended. Same for the picnic issue. ie: support from local groups and churches.

Just another reason why I love living in a small community. I got tired of city politics and all the hustle and bustle

Best of luck sir and I hope it works out for the best.
MAAC 79122
Alqonquin Aeromodellers

Last edited by leopard1; 03-06-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling....oops:)
leopard1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #33
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Jkovats you sure opened a can of worms here did you..
the picnic thing is over the top for sure, as far as the flying i used to go to my local athlectic park
and fly my parlzone cub there it couildnt do any more damadge than a soft ball or hard ball.
never had a issue really only curiosity.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #34
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 0

well i can see why they did it for airplanes.. but the rest you stated..whens your next electoin lol

I think u should appeal this..i bet u win..funny thing..what there going to throw out wedding parties in your park getting pics to

Originally Posted by JKovats View Post
It's official folks. Tuesday night City Council passed a bylaw, " Fine for flying powered model airplane in city park $110".

It was only a matter of time. I guess my GWS Tiger Moth is a threat. No exceptions, no excuses. It was approved for an on the spot ticket.

That's nothing, we have such a user friendly city council they also passed the " Fine for Picnic of 15 or more people in city park $110". There goes the family reunion and the church "breakfast picnic". That's right.

I guess the family and the church are a threat to the safety of the rest of the world. I thought the rest of the world was at the mall using their credit cards and getting into debt, I never see them at the park when I am there. I guess we'll have to move to the Conservation area.

Go Figure.

Can you spell anarchy?
Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #35
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Quick bit of information: Both Aurora and Newmarket (Ontraio) have by-laws on the books that ban a whole range of activities inlcuding flying of model airplanes. HOWEVER, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS, if you apply for a permit that allows you to perform that activity in a specific location and can provide proof of suitable insurance, you will be issued a permit.

Most municipalities are not driven so much by revenue-generation but now by risk-aversion -- what are the odds of the town or city getting sued big-time for an activity being done in one of their parks?

Also, the picnic parties of over 15 needing a permit is a good idea, because the parks people will have to clean up after these people, plus the possibility of illegal alcohol consumption (albeit a church group might be having a sunrise communion service), plus possible crowd situations -- too many peolple, not enough tables, etc. The permit allows them to plan and put some additional restrictions on what can or cannot be done (music, cleanup, etc.)

Find your local by-laws department and ask for the by-laws controlling the use of parks, read it carefully. Don't try to be a lawyer and wheedle your argument to suit your case. If you don't understand the implication of a partciular item, ask the people there for an explanation -- they'll be the people at the scene doing the interpretation anyways when the tickets are being handed out.

Ask about getting an organized group to use public-owned lands and seeing if it can be done, either through an existing club or founding a new one.

CASE IN POINT: I spotted a nearly ideal field next to the waste management center in Newmarket, engaged the regional property people (field is owned by York Region) and found out what it would take to get the use of the property. Guess what their response was: sure, can you put together a plan for the site for us to review and we can get back to you with a fee for usage. Turned out that the basic plan was accepted and they came up with $600 a year for rental on the flying field with permission to overfly the rest of the the property.

What I didn't have at the time was people willing to put up $100 or $60 to get the club going.

BTW, if you figured out where the property is, the flying field would have been in about 15 meters west from the turnaround and the runway running north-south and looking west. This puts the York Region depot to your back, the recycling dept about 200 meters to your south, the garbage plant the same distance to the west and farmland to the north. An afternoon's work with a Bushmaster and a mower and you'd have a start on a really good runway.

Any park flyer has more than enough room, EDF and anything in a large size would find themselves doing turns every 20 or less. Anything over a .45 motor would be toruchy.

If anyone want to pursue the field, go right ahead.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 03-07-2010 at 07:48 AM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.