New big block engine on the way for the Firebird!!! - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #31
CANENR
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Re: New big block engine on the way for the Firebird!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by storrie23 View Post
I do not think your capable of staying off RCC for a week?
JUST Tired of all the BS, it would be nice to have some RC jet content on some builds
and useful info.
Chuck
Chuck your right, I should have stayed clear of this one. Seems like some can not see or think outside the envolope. I should stick to the Heli forums.

Last edited by CANENR; 03-12-2010 at 12:34 AM.
CANENR is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #32
rcav8tr
RCC Contributor

Andrew

The main rules that Jeremy could violate are these parts of the MAAC Safety Code:

Section 1) All Categories

3. I shall not operate a Model in a careless, reckless and/or dangerous manner or in a
manner, at a place and/or in conditions that may pose an unreasonable risk of harm,
damage, injury or death to a person or persons and/or property

Section 5)Turbine:

11. I will not attempt any speed record utilizing a turbine engine model aircraft in Canada
until both the Jet and Safety Committee has been consulted

The other major concern is insurance costs. If you've noticed, our insurance rates have been going up almost annually and subsequently our annual dues. The main reason is people being killed and property being damaged by errant aircraft(prop and ducted fan respectively)! Not only would a serious incident jack up our rates to a new high(which everyone, jet pilot or not, would have to pay), but it would probably end up with us NOT being able to fly turbine aircraft PERIOD!

Remember, MAAC has been given the authority to regulate model aircraft by Transport Canada. If they say no more, then there will be NO MORE!

I know Jeremy and have seen him fly. I'm quite comfortable with his flying ability. However, if something were to go wrong, whether it was his doing or not, we would ALL pay the price.
rcav8tr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #33
PurgatorY
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Wow, I'm gone for a day and a half with a bad computer virus (on an old POS backup computer now) and I come back to see my own crucifixion...

1. I'm not breaking ANY MAAC rules. Where I fly is wide open, Ed you've seen Princeton, there's little danger of hitting anything there outside of mother earth. Do you guys really think that I'm going to go fly wide open and do 300mph the entire flight???

2. I'm not doing any speed record attempts, I'm flying a fast airplane. I don't see guys getting lambasted for flying 400mph dynamic slope airplanes, I guess those wouldn't kill a person if they got hit since they don't have an engine......... yeah right.... Have you seen the flight line when they are dynamic sloping? They fly almost right at themselves!!!

3. How many MAAC claims have been made in the past 10 years involving turbine models? None that I'm aware of, could that be because we're flying jets places that make sense? Not in school yards, not hovering 40% airplanes 10 feet away from the crowd? Not flying 3D helicopters that if something goes wrong you really have no idea where it will go?

Give me a break........ You guys who feel the need to come on here and rip on me for flying a properly designed, properly built, turbine powered model because you're concerned about the loss of this hobby should really focus your energy on people with NO skill flying in parks, flying in populated area's. I've been flying turbines for 11 years and outside of a takeoff mishap withere a nose gear broke on a grass runway, I have not crashed a turbine powered airplane or even damaged one to the point that I had to repair it at home. I've broken flex plates sure, that's what they're for, I've scraped wing tips. I've had flame outs, I even had a FULL lockout and recovered to save the airplane.

So again, I am not breaking ANY MAAC rules and until I do, sit back, relax and enjoy the damn hobby. I posted about the engine because I'm excited about it, I'm excited about the airplane, I've waited 10 years to own a Firebird and I'll have $20,000 tied up in the damn thing, do you REALLY think I'd be so stupid as to go and fly it in a reckless manner, or at a location where it would be unsafe??????
Yes, this struck a nerve.... Thanks to those who understand why I posted originally and that I'm not doing anything wrong, your support is appreciated!

Jeremy
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #34
PurgatorY
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8tr View Post
Andrew

The main rules that Jeremy could violate are these parts of the MAAC Safety Code:

3. I shall not operate a Model in a careless, reckless and/or dangerous manner or in a
manner, at a place and/or in conditions that may pose an unreasonable risk of harm,

Section 5)Turbine:

11. I will not attempt any speed record utilizing a turbine engine model aircraft in Canada

The other major concern is insurance costs. If you've noticed, our insurance rates have been going up almost annually and subsequently our annual dues. The main reason is people being killed and property being damaged by errant aircraft(prop and ducted fan respectively)! Not only would a serious incident jack up our rates to a new high(which everyone, jet pilot or not, would have to pay), but it would probably end up with us NOT being able to fly turbine aircraft PERIOD!
Remember, MAAC has been given the authority to regulate model aircraft by Transport Canada. If they say no more, then there will be NO MORE!

I know Jeremy and have seen him fly. I'm quite comfortable with his flying ability. However, if something were to go wrong, whether it was his doing or not, we would ALL pay the price.

Ed,
Would a serious incident involving a heli or prop plane not end up with us being unable to fly heli's or prop planes as well? When does the turbine model witch hunt end and people realize the dangers involved in ALL models. I feel a heck of a lot safer at a jet event with 200mph + airplanes than I do at a pylon race, or a heli rally, etc. If something were to go wrong with a gasser heli and carbon blades, or a QM40, whether it's the pilots fault or not we will all pay the price. There are far higher risk events going on than high speed jets, people need to open their eyes to realize the risks involved everywhere, accept what we do to protect ourselves and surroundings from those risks, and enjoy the hobby for what it is.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #35
PurgatorY
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by storrie23 View Post
OK is this about the braging rights for the most powerful engines or the fastest A/C.
I have a pair of General Electric CJ 610 turbo jet engines 2850 LBS of thrust. each
that powers my A/C at a speed of .82 MAC.
The A/C also held the speed to 40000 ft in 7 minutes, in its day it was faster than current
fighters of the day.
Just a LEAR 23
I own it, I fly it, and its paid for.
Beat that with your Firebird & AMT
i

Only valid comparison I see here is that you obviously have more money than me, you're comparring a full scale jet that probably costs as much to operate for a full day as my Firebird costs in total.
This was never about bragging rights, I'm sorry I posted at all at this point really.....
God forbid a modeler want to share his or her excitement with the community he flies with..........
Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #36
luv2flyrc
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

This site has gone whacky lately! Here we have a guy that posts his new toy so, that the rest of us can drool and admire at what he's got! Next thing, he's been jumped on for violation of MAAC regs????? He hasn't even flown the GD thing yet!!!

Another thread, a guy invites a poll regarding a recommendation that he has made to MAAC to require opto kill switches on all gas engines. It turns out to be a very unpopular idea and he goes off the DEEP END because the majority don't see it his way.

Another thread warns "Beware" of a particular rcc member like he's JACK THE RIPPER, mean while he's been low key, hasn't bothered a soul and in fact, it turns out, is laid up in hospital!

Guys, go build and fly some friggin' models!

Jeremy, I'm looking forward to more info on your "paint" thread over on RCU!

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 03-12-2010 at 01:25 PM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #37
rcav8tr
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
Ed,
Would a serious incident involving a heli or prop plane not end up with us being unable to fly heli's or prop planes as well? When does the turbine model witch hunt end and people realize the dangers involved in ALL models. I feel a heck of a lot safer at a jet event with 200mph + airplanes than I do at a pylon race, or a heli rally, etc. If something were to go wrong with a gasser heli and carbon blades, or a QM40, whether it's the pilots fault or not we will all pay the price. There are far higher risk events going on than high speed jets, people need to open their eyes to realize the risks involved everywhere, accept what we do to protect ourselves and surroundings from those risks, and enjoy the hobby for what it is.
Hi Jeremy

No arguement. There are a lot of other aspects of this hobby that are more dangerous than what we do. All I was attempting to get across was that there is always the potential for something to go wrong and result in serious consequences. We jet pilots, being a very small minority in the RC world, fly some of the most expensive and technilogically advanced rc aircraft out there. That scares some people, especially insurance types who do risk analysis. And because we are such a small group, it is quite possible that the insurance carrier could see an easy way to mitigate their risk by forcing MAAC to restrict, or out right ban turbines all together. As long as there are people out there that are scared, concerned, etc. about turbine powered jet models, the witch hunt will never end. Which means that we always have to be careful with what we do.

We've been very lucky in Canada. We haven't had to go through the loops and jumps etc that our AMA counterparts have and are still required to do.

As I stated earlier, no issues here with your abilities, choices of paint colour maybe but not abilities! Remember, I did say "could".

Ed

PS If I can get to Cayley, we can discuss this to no end over a few pints!

Last edited by rcav8tr; 03-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.
rcav8tr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #38
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8tr View Post
Andrew

Section 5)Turbine:

Ed, could (what I have highlighted) that not be said about pretty much any turbine sport model today? I mean, I have been to enough rally's to see how fast a stock Roo' or Hotspot, or many of the newer, faster jets go. A 20 lb model going 200mph, with a few litres of kero on board is not a toy either, but no one is going to complain about someone using a smaller engine on a similarly smaller plane... why?

One other thing, as retailers of turbines, and I direct this to you Ed, and Chuck - as you both are posting as both jet modelers and turbine retailers - when a person buys a big engine (the P200 is not much less thrust than Jeremy's AMT Neth)

-do you do a background check on their flying skills?
-do you find out what model they plan to install the engine in, and cancel the sale if it is, in your opinion, "too much" power for the airframe?
-do you worry about the engine you are selling having the potential to "cause a smoking crater" and for us to lose our turbine model flying privileges?

What I see here, is accusing the poor guy of something his model has the potential to do - similary, does an OPP oficer have the right to stop and charge me simply because my truck is easily capable of reaching 160km on the highway??? I dont think so.

Chuck,
I stayed off of RCC for three years due to the fact there is/was a lot of good people and superb modelers that stopped posting also due to a lot of crap and stupidity. I like to pose logical questions, and expect a logical answer - which seems lately to be in short supply. And, there are a lot of very opinionated people, who for some reason get all upset when someone else (me) expresses their own opinion - how ironic!. Dont like it? Maybe you can leave then. I did consider leaving again, but you know, when all the good people go what is left? Jeremy, stay here and keep posting... we need people like you here on RCC!

I have contributed a ton of info and threads that I think are pretty worth while in my 8 years on RCC - many of which I know you probly dont care about or have not been here long enough to see, but I have just as much right as you or anyone else to be here, and if I happen to disagree with what I think is a silly and worthless accusation, I will speak up.

Respectfully yours,
Andrew Coholic
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!

Last edited by AJCoholic; 03-13-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes..
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #39
Helijet
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 10

Stick around Andrew.
Many of us enjoy reading your posts.
Your input has been very valuable to many jet model neophytes.
You not only have a rare, practical way of looking at subjects - you have real time experience.

As a modeler that has been flying R/C helis since 1976, multi time NATS heli award winner, flying jets since 1981, turbines since 1996 - I still learn from modelers like you. Don't let a couple of " arm chair " wannabees spoil your day.

Know your comments are read and agreed with by many of us.

Its a nice day....I am going out to burn some kero.

Later guys

D.Wichmann
MAAC 14436
Old 03-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #40
powerjets
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Hans V
Radio of choice:
jets

Total Props: 2

I cannot believe the unnecessary disrespect shown here towards fellow-modellers who want to voice their concern, Iím out.

Last edited by powerjets; 03-13-2010 at 04:00 PM.
powerjets is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.