New big block engine on the way for the Firebird!!! - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 03-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #41
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Re: New big block engine on the way for the Firebird!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjets View Post
I cannot believe the unnecessary disrespect shown here towards fellow-modellers who want to voice their concern, Iím out.
Hans,
Exactly what disrespect is being shown to you?

You see the main problem I have with the internet is that people want to express their opinions, and then want anyone who disagrees to shut up? Don't leave, contribute and discuss. But play fair.

I asked one very specific, very easy question.... exactly what is Jeremy doing wrong?

No one gave me an answer yet that is satisfactory. A lot of "but he might..." and "he could" but I say that can be said about your F104, or my sport model jets, or pretty much anything powered by a turbine today.

WHy can't you guys talk and discuss and even argue in a way that makes some sense... its just spurt out a few statements, nothing to back then up and then cry foul.

I am all for safety, and anyone... ANYONE who has flown with me, and knows me knows that. I dont condone stupidity, and unsafe practices.

However, jumping to conclusions and accusing a fellow jet modeler that he is somehow going to jeopordise our hobby is unfair, and without merit - simply because he has bought a larger engine.

If you want to keep this portion of the hobby safe, attend the jet rally's, fun fly's and other events where people fly jets - and maintain a good relations with others. WHen you see someone doing something unsafe, suggest a better way to do it. Doesnt that make more sense than slagging an experienced flyer who has an excellent track record?

Why dont you all re read his first post..."After much discussion with Tom Cook, as well as others who have built Firebirds" that sounds like a guy doing his homework. Like Jeremy said, I doubt HIGHLY he wants something that is unsafe, and unable to handle the power the engine is capable of producing.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!

Last edited by AJCoholic; 03-13-2010 at 04:20 PM.
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #42
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helijet View Post
Stick around Andrew.
Many of us enjoy reading your posts.
Your input has been very valuable to many jet model neophytes.
You not only have a rare, practical way of looking at subjects - you have real time experience.

As a modeler that has been flying R/C helis since 1976, multi time NATS heli award winner, flying jets since 1981, turbines since 1996 - I still learn from modelers like you. Don't let a couple of " arm chair " wannabees spoil your day.

Know your comments are read and agreed with by many of us.

Its a nice day....I am going out to burn some kero.

Later guys

D.Wichmann
MAAC 14436
Dean, you were the nicest and most friendly to me when I decided to start into turbines back in 2002. I still tell people how much you helped me out with emails an so forth, and even sending me free fuel line tubing when I was in need of some.

I try and help who I can and of course still rely on you guys with tons of experience (like ROn, and Jeremy, and others) for help when I need it.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #43
1THEPALMER
RCC Contributor

I am: fred f

Total Props: 2

Wow that is a big engine! Once it is installed would love to see a vid and actually hear it @ full song.
What is the fuel demand @ wide open?
I am not a Jet flyer but our club has 3 jet guys and they are the safest flyers I have met.
1THEPALMER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #44
lilphil26
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: The cookie monster
Radio of choice:
Futaba baby!!!
# of RCs: 911

Total Props: 7

All i have to say is that Jeremy and Andrew bring a lot of excellent info on various subjects to this and other threads.

Im sorry about mentioning the crater, as it was a joke, but unfortunately it wasnt taken as such, but I would have to be another person to say, that Jeremy and Andrew are definately needed and liked on these forums.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #45
Rusty Cahall
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rusty C

Total Props: 0

Holy Crap thought this only happened on US forums...I just love it when people try and ruin your day on a hobby forum. Well im bulding jet too maybe i should put a cox .049 on it to be safe Here Jeremy this is my Eurofighter in progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	72363  
Rusty Cahall is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #46
geomar
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: George M

Total Props: 0

what the hell is wrong with the people on this forum , Jer was just trying to share his excitment about a new toy and is within in the MAAC rules and a very safe pilot , so I say let him do as he sees fit and mind your own business if you dont like it . I
geomar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #47
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjets View Post
I cannot believe the unnecessary disrespect shown here towards fellow-modellers who want to voice their concern, Iím out.

Wow. This thread went to crap faster than Jeremy's jet can go!

The disrespect was shown when someone decided to jump in and start voicing their opinion that another modeler shouldn't have such a fast jet. Unbelievable.

Yes, it is capable of making a crater. So is any giant scale gasser, as is a number of smaller glow craft! If you get nailed by any one of these craft, the potential for death is there!

I just don't get it. Very experienced turbine pilot gets himself a nice jet and people start doing the safety dance!
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #48
Angus
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18mz
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 5

Here is a picture of my big block Habu that I'm working on, I'll bring it to Princeton, It's a Mastercraft Special Edition compliments of PauldD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	habu 001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	72364   Click image for larger version

Name:	habu 002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	72365  
Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #49
lilphil26
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: The cookie monster
Radio of choice:
Futaba baby!!!
# of RCs: 911

Total Props: 7

Uh oh, Angus just gave me an idea. Well its not my idea. but Angus didnt mention any copyrights, so heres to another foamie kero burner. Someone has to do this. Maybe Marc can put his kolibri in one
Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #50
PurgatorY
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

The Firebird was designed around the Olympus, so really am I doing anything outside of the ordinary? The design has been flown for 10 years with everything from an AMT Pegasus, to AMT Olympus, Simjet Nexus, Jetcat P180, P200, Merlin 160 etc.

What really amazes me, is that there are JET modelers in here making comments that are uncalled for. Guys are concerned about a turbine powered jet flying at 300mph. I get that, would the same concern be shown if I was posting about a new Giant scale Unlimited racer that is capable of 260mph with a 32" prop up front weighing more than my Firebird will? In the event of a crash, kinetic energy is a result of speed and weight, engine type makes no difference. I'm no physics major, actually, I never took any physics courses in my life, but it only takes common sense to know that if a turbine powered aircraft that weighs 20 lbs hits the dirt at 200mph, the resulting damage will be the same as a 20lbs prop plane hitting the dirt at 200mph. It will be less than a 16lb dynamic slope glider hitting the ground at 400mph though.
What I see on the forums, is a large number of people who will make comments in a thread about a jet, that they would never make if it was a prop plane.
Like I say, I could just as easily go out and buy a giant scale unlimited racer, and go fly it nearly as fast as the Firebird will go.
I could be one of those guys that flies a 50% Edge with a 40" prop and hovers it inches from the ground, 10 feet from the flight line too. But those threads get all the "wow, cool, nice plane, what a great pilot, etc". As soon as it's a turbine jet, some guys seem to get their panties in a wad and start throwing out the "you're endangering the hobby, MAAC blah blah blah etc etc etc."

Andrew asked what rules I'm breaking, I'd really like somebody to answer that question as well.

Putting the engine that is recommended for the airframe I'm building into it and somehow that's wrong..... wow.... Where are you guys to complain when somebody posts about their Flash with a P160, or a Kangaroo or Rookie with a P120 or bigger?

I really don't get it.

To all of you who understand why I posted this thread, and who have been supportive, thank you, it's nice to know that there are some people that get it..........
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.