Why did you start flying? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: sport f

Total Props: 1
Re: Why did you start flying?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It all stated out as a young fellow when my father came home with a Cox control line airplane. I believe it was a Sopwith Camel. As I remember it did not fly very well but taxied well on the asphalt.
I progressed to Carl Golberg balsa models including the Little Wizard, Little Jumping Bean and many others.
I then graduated to the fox 35 control line airplanes flying the Nobler and Super Chipmunk to mention a few.
I tried some home brew 15 size combat wings using inflated silicone tubing bladder fuel systems.
When I got my first job I saved a few dollars and bought a used radio system.
I bought the Kadet Mark II kit from the LHS. where the person offered to help with some flight training.
In all the excitement I had purchased the kit on a Thursday and to their amazement was getting flying lessons that Sunday afternoon.
I have not looked back since 21 years of enjoyment in RC flying.
sport_flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
RCC Contributor
I am: carlyle anderson

Total Props: 0

I'm now twenty six. I started six or seven years ago because I was stupid and thought it would be fun.
you don't need CNC if you are handy with a torch.
Carlyle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Simply the next best thing to flying the real deal which I will never be able to do........... unless I win the lottery. I started when I was about 10, left it for years and started up big time about 6yrs ago. I have had many hobbies but this one is got to be the best by far.

''engine hoarder''

Last edited by williame3590; 03-11-2010 at 09:23 PM.
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 9

I guess the seed was planted about 30 years ago. I went to a friends house, and the basement is full of models. Never really was interested then, except one Cox .049 Cherokee control line that bit the dust on its maiden. This seed grew into my career now, which is aircraft maintenance. I've been into RC cars, and trucks for awhile now, but a few years ago, I kinda liked the idea of getting a foamie, (like a stryker) for a first airplane. Thankfully, I got talked out of that idea, and started with a Hobbico Avistar, and I haven't looked back. Its been alot of fun so far. Daren
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
Daren71 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Rob P
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

you know I have to go back a few years..
I guess it started When My biological Father first took me out so that would be when I was 2 or 3. now I cant remember it but there are Pictures of me and My two brothers and Him (Father). He left the seen or the Family when I was 4. Mother gets re married after a bit and new step father introduces me to Control line (never did get the dam thing off the ground under power) then latter on Joined Air Cadets and started to learn Flying in a Glider. then work gets in the way... then the wife comes along and then Family... But I did get back into it just after I turned 40 (were did the Time go?) So thats my story in a nut shell
Youngs Point Flying Club MAAC # 80842

once you go Yak you never go back!!
robpreston is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2

I always thought that flying would be fun... and my dad had his pilots license so he was into planes as well... we bought a kyosho ultralite that had a cox .049 for a mill... never did fly it was to heavy!! gave up and got a RC car. 15 years later i'm walking through the West Ed Mall and came across a 2 channel plane for $99.99 bought it..... crashed it lots then bought a 3 channel (they were both flyzone) then bought a parkzone J-3 cub, really liked that plane, progressed to a Hangar-9 Arrow RTF trainer and it really took off from there.

Now i;ve got my dad and brother both flying so we can do parkzone combat when we get together!!!

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Martin T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I was building my new house two summers ago when my new neighbor, a flyer for 35 years, kept flying planes over me. New I was interested, so I asked him about it. He told me to get a sim which my wife got me for christmas. I learned on that all winter, and bought a nexstar .46 last spring. Long story short, I started flying last summer and I love it. I built a pt60, a stinger 10, and just finished scratching a junior falcon. Stinger was working great on ski's until a aileron sevo failure yesterday. Oh Well, I'll have fun rebuilding.

martintucker19 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
Claude Paradis
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C
# of RCs: 20+

.......... to build the skills I needed to move onto this:

-- still a bit of a pipedream, but soon .....
Claude Paradis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #19
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

Frankly, since I saw this thread start I've been wracking my brains trying to remember why I started flying. It was around 1962 or '63 in England when I was a kid. I know I did not have any friends or aquaintances who flew. I did like making things because my grandfather had a plumbing/painting business with a big workshop where he let me mess about with his tools & bits of wood & pipe & so on. I have a vague recollection that I bought a kit for a rubber powered free flight model at a rummage sale organized by the Scout troop I was in - just for the experience of building it. After that I was addicted & made a bunch of similar planes & then a series of control line planes with 0.049 to 0.15 motors. Most of them lasted about 3 flights & half the time the motors would not start - they used nitro fuel but had no glo plugs just started on compression. They are the reason why all my current planes are electric!!

The last plane I built before heading for university was an R/C trainer with about a 48" wing span. It was covered with doped nylon. It had a 1 channel transmitter/receiver set up which I built from a kit! The Tx had valves but the Rx was very advanced. It had transistors!!!!!!!!! The system was called "sequential" I think. The Tx had an on/off switch & one red button. If I recall correctly, you pressed the button once for left rudder, twice for right rudder, three times for up elevator & four times for down elevator (something like that). There was no throttle control. I did not end up flying it much because the battery in the Tx was the size of a brick & seemed to run out very quickly & I had no money to replace it. I think the plane is still in the attic of my parent's house that my sister now owns.

Does anyone else of my vintage remember that type of R/C system & recall better how it worked?

I must say that my return to the hobby about 18 months ago has resulted in exactly the same level of addiction as when I was a teenager. The main difference is that although I do a fair bit of building and fixing I do way more flying - probably 75% flying /25% build/fix now compared to 10% flying/90% build/fix then. I have also met quite a few fellow addicts whereas in my teenage years I was mostly a loner. It's way more fun sharing the experience & learning from skilled pilots.

Woops - seem to have rambled on for way too long. Good idea for a thread -definately an invitation to indulge in a nostalgia trip.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

My dad took me to a hobby shop while visiting relatives in Buffalo. ( about 1951 ) .. Left with a Cox .049 that cost about $5.00 .. prior to that I had only flown rubber band powered gliders .. All this was inspired by my brother who had been in the air force during the 2nd WW.
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.