OS 46 nitro engine - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
Re: OS 46 nitro engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a real mish-mash of glow motors... OS, EVO, GMS, Tower Hobbies, Thunder Tiger, Super Tigre, Magnum, Irvine, Saito etc etc, and all are good runners (still fine tuneing the Magnum).
The OS are the benchmark motor that all others are compared too. I agree that if you are a new flyer that the OS will be a lot more user friendly right out of the box with minimal fiddling and tuneing, but once you become more seasoned at tuneing these small two strokes, all the engines are within your grasp.

My first 2 stroke was the OS .46FXi that came in my NexSTAR and my 2nd was the EVO .45TPS that came in my Hanger 9 Mustang. Both these engines ran equally well from the get go without any noticeable differance. We did remove the needle valve limiters from the EVO to give us more fine tuneing and it has always been a bulletproof runner. From there I dove headfirst into the cheaper chinese engines and have never looked back. The chinese engines do take a little more fiddling and have a longer break-in period, but do run as well once broken in and properly tuned.
I still buy OS when I find a good deal on them, but my 2 stroke addiction is being fed mainly by the cheaper engines now a days.

As mentioned in a previous post, I would also have to recommend the OS .55AX over the .46AX. It has the same footprint as the .46AX and will leave you able to use it in a larger project down the road. They are great engines, I love mine!

The OS do cost more than some of the other cheaper models, but for someone new, they are the right choice.

Cheers and good luck

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link

Last edited by chuebner; 04-16-2010 at 08:48 AM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Dav A

Total Props: 0

I am starting to get a mixed bag of engine, not as many as curt..have 4 evos 2-52nx, 45tps, 60nx, they all run great, have two super tigres, 46 older one made in italy and a 51 made in china, both ringed and yep touchy to tune, but once set run great just bought a satio 72 haven't run it yet. I think it all depends on how they are broke in, regardless of brand.
Gotta love it when a plane comes together
dastallen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

I would definately buy the O.S ax new.They are the most reliable engine .You don't want an engine that you have to fight with.Most of all when you are a beginner.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bob K

Thanks all, great advice. I have since purchased a new OS .46 ax and I am putting it on an Easy Star.

Thanks again!
taildragger56 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #15
RCC Noob

looking where ?
isuzu parts
forex robot reviews
addniim is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #16
E Smith
RCC Contributor

If you want to convert an Evolution engine into a "Real" engine at no extra cost do the following.

Remove the high and low end needle stops, they never seem to be in the right place. Remove the baffle from inside the muffler. The result is a very good engine that needles, sounds and runs like an engine should.

Ed S
R/C Pylon Racing. When Sex, Drugs and Booze just does not do it!
E Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A. Sutherland
Radio of choice:
JR, SPEKTRUM, FrSky, Turnigy
# of RCs: 53

The Evolution .46 has one of the best low RPM stable running speeds, and smooth transition to high RPM, because of the flywheel, and the fact it is a low compression motor. The extra muffler baffle does seem to restrict high RPM (power) a little, but helps keep the motor quiet. An Exaust Deflector or silicone tube on any motor will also reduce the noise, and keep the oil off the plane. Most low compression motors run cooler than high compression ones, thus they also burn less oil, and more sprays out on the plane. I have a OS46 too, and the type of fuel it likes to keep it cool and running smooth is critical, and costs more.
One of those $ 20 inferred laser temperature guns is a good way to see if your engine is overheating. Check Ebay for one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1652c.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	78154  
JSUTHERLAND8 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.