Governor help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
Nogan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Matt G
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Question Governor help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Gang,

This is my first newbie post so here's a brief background. Been flying a CX2 for about six months. Got a Blade 400, about ten flights on it. Had the aileron servo lock up in a low hover sending the bird cartwheeling. So perfect time to upgrade the servos, gyro and all those little things that will make it a little more fun to fly.

I have a pretty good understanding of the pitch/throttle curve relationships. There will be NO 3D in my immediate future.

In idle up mode the head speeds are kept pretty much constant while all lift is dictated through pitch control via the throttle stick.

So here are my questions;

(a) Can i use an (idle up) style throttle curve setting with a constant lower head speed for forward flight and sport flying? (what are good head speeds?)

(b) I have a Phoenix ESC with PC programming, should I use the governor mode to control the maximum head speed? (How is this done in conjunction with the throttle curves?)

(c) Am I better off to just use the Tx throttle curves to control my head speed?

(d) I would like to get used to flying with a constant head speed. Is this a foolish endeavor?

*note* I do have access to a photo tach.

All comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated. This will be my first of many posts to come

Cheers.
Nogan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4
Re: Governor help

Generally with the electrics, you should be flying with the throttle curve (in idle up), flat and at or near 100%. This puts the least stress on the electronics and apparently gives the most efficient use of battery power.

If you'd like to lower your head speed, most fellas would recommend a pinion change.

I'm really not sure how much use a governed ESC really is - I'm sure someone with more electric experience/knowledge can give you some better advice in this regard.

If you're looking for stability for general hovering and flying around, I'd just adjust my throttle/pitch in normal mode to give a nice combination with a fairly flat hover area on the curve (for throttle). It's nice to reserve the idle up function for full power and full collective authority so that you can switch to it instantly should you find yourself needing to get out of a tight spot (loss of orientation recovery, or an unusual attitude).

Not sure if this helps or even answers your question.

Mark
Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Hi Nogan. In addition to Mark's comments, I will try to add my 2c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogan View Post
(a) Can i use an (idle up) style throttle curve setting with a constant lower head speed for forward flight and sport flying? (what are good head speeds?)
What do you mean by "lower" headspeed? IMO, 2000-2500 should be OK for you

Quote:
(b) I have a Phoenix ESC with PC programming, should I use the governor mode to control the maximum head speed? (How is this done in conjunction with the throttle curves?)
Set your throttle curves up FIRST as best as you can, then you can turn on governor mode, but honestly, if you set up your throttle curve right, you shouldn't need governor mode (but its nice to have )

Quote:
(c) Am I better off to just use the Tx throttle curves to control my head speed?
See my comment above- I would bet the majority of electric heli fliers do it this way with no problems at all

Quote:
(d) I would like to get used to flying with a constant head speed. Is this a foolish endeavor?
Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, most of your flying SHOULD be done in the idle up mode. Power-on descents without idle-up is a real beyotch!

Good luck with your setup, and remember, you cant learn if you don't try!
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Nogan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Matt G
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Smile Re: Governor help

Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for the advice! So Idle up it is, I'm going to use the tach just to make sure my head speeds are in check, and I'll probably govern them just to prevent an over speed and be extra ----. I just assumed that a lower head speed would = more stable. Quite the contrary after some more research! A little Expo should help in that department.

I guess I honestly didn't realize you guys were always buzzing around in idle up...This just got a lot more exiting!

**Remember..Baby steps**

Thanks again, I'll post back when I have tried it out.

Cheers,
Nogan..aka (Matt)

Last edited by Nogan; 03-30-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Nogan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

When considering upgrades, if you've never considered the MKS brand of servos from Hobby King for your Blade 400, you should take a look!

I'm a die hard user of Hitec servos, have been for years, but these MKS servos really blew me away. The 9670A for example has a titanium gear set, is coreless digital and has a response time of 0.07 sec/60deg. and at approx $55 is one heck of an awesome servo!

I am using this servo with a Futaba GY401 Gyro on the tail. You can purchase 3 MKS servos for the cyclic that have more torque, are much faster and about half the price of Hitec's 65MG's

IF you haven't upgraded your servos yet, it might be worth your while to check out the MKS servos on the Hobby King website.

Just as a side note: Turnigy 2200mAH 3S 25C Lipo packs w/balance leads are only $14.95 each. I just purchased 2 and they are fabulous packs!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Nev
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Nev

Total Props: 3

I would not bother with governor mode. Also in my opinion, if you are not flying 3D no need to run throttle through the roof. A constant head speed for whatever you are doing is all you need. As you progress this will require more throttle to keep the head speed constant. I found that using a Data logger like this one...http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm
while you are gaining your heli skills, will allow you to fine tune between head speed, power consumption and handling and give you longest flight times. I set idle up 1 - this way, then my idle up 2 - HOTTER better suited to rolls loops etc...no 3D yet. In due course I will push the numbers a bit to start trying some more aggressive flying.

Good luck.
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
u8mydog
RCC Apprentice

I am: John M

Total Props: 1

I wouldn't bother with governor mode either. There have been some reports of some gyros not acting properly if governor mode is turned on.
u8mydog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in