Alberta Slope Patrol guide - Page 17 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #161
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Total Props: 1
Re: Alberta Slope Patrol guide

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just need to get the rx I ordered 3 weeks ago, and this one will be ready for the slope. Very nice kit, everything fits together well... If you decide yo get a Labelle just make sure to get small servos and receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	283601  
B.Welwood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #162
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

http://youtu.be/gxDC7YXFOvo
Maybe this is something us prairie slopers should try?
This might work....
http://youtu.be/ddVP1wMHcsY

Last edited by B.Welwood; 04-25-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #163
footsy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Chris F
Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Banff Makeout Point

I posted earlier about my sites near the Banff townsite but here is some video of makeout point on the way up to Norquay. I'm pretty new to gliding but it has become my obbsesion and I average 5 days a week of flying and probably about 3 hours in the air each day. Right now this site is amazing. Sometimes a light breeze will come down the hill from the snow covered slopes of norquay. That will push the thermals from the south facing exposed rock and pavement up really fast. It also menas that if you aren't high enough you can loose altitude very quickly. In this situation, I'm glad to have a motor but if the wind is coming from 160 to 240 degrees at at least 10km/h it should be no problem for unmotorized craft at any temperature. Landing is not easy here but it rarely is in this neck of the woods.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

The launch site is the green patch in the centre of the image.

This is not a simple slope. Slight changes in wind direction can really change things. Below the launch site, the slope goes more to the west than it appears but a west wind can be tricky because its blocked by Norquay Mountain. Once you get about 400ft above the launch site, you almost always have very strong lift. The grassy hill looks like a good thermal generator but below it, the rocks and a couple of curves in the road can really heat up. If I have trouble getting lift, I often fly straight away to the south until I find some.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10321571_10154095583890713_887453207371629505_o.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	305570  
footsy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #164
footsy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHansen View Post

On a side note: I would love to see a video of someone with a radian Pro flyin off of a ridge doing aerobatics. Just to see how it performs.
I have a radian pro and it's pretty good at aerobatics. You must put a carbon rod from the middle to the rear of the fuselage though and I would also ad something to make the vertical stab stiffer. The plane is really nose heave so don't worry about making it too heavy. It could have more roll and to help with that, I have a flying mode that adds some flaps with the aileron mix. I don't use that a lot though. I find that some rudder mix allows it to roll fast enough. I just use the flaps when I want to do cuban eights.
I get better acrobatic performance with more weight to help it carry speed. With a 2100 battery, I can do big high speed loops. Too bad I broke my gopro lens. The site I am flying gets such strong thermals that I have to constantly do aerobatics to stop the plane from flying up out of sight. I should probably go to an open field and see if I can break the plane. I defiantly go easy on the stick when its going fast and I pull out of dives out of concern of the speed ripping the wings off.

I would really like to see parkzone make a thinner wing for high speed slope soaring. It would be nice if the ailerons were a bit longer and the flaps smaller with a more speed oriented airfoil. For $60 with servos, it would be nice to have a whole new plane.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #165
DHansen
RCC Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Great posts footsy. Next trip i go on to Bamff I will be looking for the spot you tell about. Thanks for the Rad pro video.

RTB
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #166
eekay
RCC Noob

I am: Chris K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 0

Waiting on the Servo/Rx Batt combo pack released by Dream-Flight for the Libelle, I ordered the very first lot as soon as it went live. While I wait the 2 weeks or so for it to arrive, has anyone scouted anything good slope wise in the Red Deer area? Or are there any slope enthusiasts in the area that meet up regularly? CAARF doesn't seem to have any active slopers, at least the people I've asked aren't aware of anyone locally.

Thanks much.
eekay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #167
DHansen
RCC Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Chris check google maps for slopes to the east of red deer in the stettler area.
I love the libelle even with it's flaws.
Happy soaring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140615_125221[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	909.2 KB
ID:	342233  

RTB

Last edited by DHansen; 06-15-2014 at 01:55 PM.
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:10 AM   #168
footsy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Frsky Taranis

Here are some videos of me flying at makeout point on the road up to Norquay.

http://youtu.be/tEzPZFPBpRQ?list=UUh...2w6YhocqYDO7Cg
http://youtu.be/DmX2xL6qZgg?list=UUh...2w6YhocqYDO7Cg
Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 AM   #169
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekay View Post
Waiting on the Servo/Rx Batt combo pack released by Dream-Flight for the Libelle, I ordered the very first lot as soon as it went live. While I wait the 2 weeks or so for it to arrive, has anyone scouted anything good slope wise in the Red Deer area? Or are there any slope enthusiasts in the area that meet up regularly? CAARF doesn't seem to have any active slopers, at least the people I've asked aren't aware of anyone locally.

Thanks much.
Hi Chris! Didn't see this post till now. Ron Hall at the CARFF club does a bit of sloping. If your willing to come a little farther east I can show you a couple slopes that I use.

I will be at the CARFF field today. If you are there or have a minute to stop by we could chat.

Merv
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #170
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Managed to get some flying in on Monday at one of the better slopes around here.
Still learning about GoPro helmet cam video, but here's something for you guys to check out.

Bob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.