RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: jon r

Total Props: 0
Thrust vectoring

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok so I am still new to this hobby. So bear with the lack of proper usage of lingo and overall knowhow. I have been searching for an edf jet. In my searches I found a few that have trust vectoring. I saw a You tube video with a rafale with what appeared to be homemade flaps over the exaust (type rafale trust vectored in you tube) . I have also seen a factory produced thrust vector with an su-27.

thrust vectoring seems quite facinating, anyone own a plane with this? is it worth paying the extra over a regular jet?
electricottawa is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Thrust vectoring

It depends on the kind of flying you intend to do. With adequate control surfaces and airflow over them you can do extreme maneuvers, (light weight helps a lot, as our indoor guys can attest). Thrust vectoring really comes into its own when speed is so low the normal flight surfaces are ineffective.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Rich H

Total Props: 2

to answer you basic question........yes, it's worth paying the extra over a regular jet. if that's the type of flying you enjoy. some jet purists will tell you that it's not very jet-like and only for showing off at airshows. as cool as it looks and as much as we are told that it can be used in combat, you aren't gonna see the Cobra being done in combat. the old fighter pilot saying is that speed and energy is life........stunts like the Cobra require bleeding speed and energy, which means being shot at.

the rest is up to you though. if you like that kind of flying, thrust vectoring is great and looks really cool. if you are into a scale-lookiing style of flying, I'de say go with the "regular jet".
LuvEvolution7 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Since this inquiry is for an EDF, you may want to try posting in the Electric Jets Forum.

Thrust vectoring a turbine @ 700 deg C is very different from an EDF.

I have done inverted harriers with my Stryker and while not thrust vectoring and even though it doesn't take full throttle to keep in the harrier it sure seems to eat the batteries fast. Must be something to do with the almost static loading of the prop. If you were to do this with EDF my "guess" is your flight times would be fairly short.

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
t.......................the old fighter pilot saying is that speed and energy is life........
This is true "all other things being equal", and it used to be that there was little significant difference between the frontline fighters. Sure one had a little more altitude capability, one a little more speed or turn-in, but these small differences could frequently be compensated for if you know the other guy's capabilities and how to take advantage of your own.

The really big thing in a dog fight is turn in, and if you have LOTS more than the other guy, if you can turn inside him and shoot him fast, you could be at zero energy and you still won. It is my impression that vectored thrust is all about the turn-in, without sacrificing the speed potential.

I have seen a couple of RC model "wing" designs with thrust vectored by hinged, pusher engine mount. The pitch changes are stupid fast and very entertaining to watch..... I can only imagine how entertaining they are to fly!!

Last edited by nairbg; 04-09-2010 at 06:09 PM.
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

As Pauld mentioned earlier, You should look under the Electric Jets catagory

Here's a link to my Thrust Vectoring EDF. If your new to EDFs I would recomend starting off with something an litle easier to fly.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.