Heli recomendations - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darren W

Total Props: 4
Heli recomendations

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all.

After having the pleasure of trying a friends new TRex 450 pro, I've been thinking of selling my highly modified Blade 400 and buying one. However, I've also been eyeing the TRex 250 as well. I really don't need all that many helis, nor can I afford them both, so I'm trying to decide between the 2. As for the TRex 250, I would possibly consider a clone as well, but not on the 450. I haven't seen a decent clone for the 450 pro yet. At least not one that I liked.

So what helis do you people recommend? Thanks.

ve7nly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Neil R

Total Props: 0
Re: Heli recomendations

IMHO, I'd get the 450. I have the 450 Sport, and it's great. It has the pro head, but the belt tail, so no tail gears to replace all the time. They have great part support as well. The 250 is a nice looking bird, and you can get them here used for a decent price, but they don't handle the wind. You being out in Kamloops, it does get windy in those mountains, right? And don't buy a super combo, whatever you do. The align servo's are not that great. Hobby Hobby no longer carries their servos due to the issues they have had customers experience. A nicely outfitted sport will run you about $450, but it's worth it. I love mine.
stepheva is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Joel D

Total Props: 7

Never tried the 250, can't give any input.

But, I'll go for the 450 Pro. Just buy the kit with ESC and Motor and use some of the electronics in your B400 (assuming they are ok for 450 size?).

After trying the T-Rex 450 pro the first time, it was love at first flight. I loved it so much, I got another one for that "just in case the other bird is down and out". I was a beginner then (pass hovering stage) and my landings are not that good. Hit the tail hard while the tail blades are still spinning, you end up stripping the front drive gears. I went through a LOT of those gears. Even if I have the black torque tube inside (which supposed to break easily in an event of a crash). I only have one 450 Pro now and it has the 3G Flybarless system. Way more stable. I love it even more. But still needs some minor tweaking.
4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: kevin b
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

I know alot of people that purchased the super combos with no issues...i use mostly align electronics myself with no problems...
If you didn't break something , you are not flying hard enough!

Team Skycraft Hobbies_Outrage Volocity N2_Protos 500_Blade 450x_Aeroworks Edge 540
x-planker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

Get the biggest one you can afford to crash....
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

I had a Trex 450SEV2, bought a Trex 500 and then a Trex 250 (Supercombo - pleased with the combo). The 500 flies the best, the 450 was good, the 250 flies well but is much less stable. The 500 is a field heli and works best in a large area, the 450 and 250 are park helis and can be flown in tight spots (the 250 much moreso than the 450). I sold the 450 after having the 250 and 500 for a while because it was redundant and maintaining two helis is less expensive than three.

If you have the space and budget, you'll love a larger heli. You want a smaller one if you don't.

The 250 is better for me as my small space heli (and indoor Winter heli at the rented gym) because it fits in a modified briefcase with the DX7 TX, TP1010C charger, batteries and tools. All I need to do to go flying with the 500 is grab the heli and the 250 briefcase. It's incredibly convenient to take anywhere and can be flown in very small areas.

The 500 is my favorite of all time (had Raptor 50V2 and 30 before). I'm eyeing the upcoming and much larger 550 with great interest (for next year). I could see buying the 550 (550mm blades) and selling my 500 (425mm blades) eventually. I'm even admiring the new 700E, but it's a little out of my budget.

nairbag is bang on - get the biggest one you can afford to crash (assuming you will be able to fly it often).

If you get a chance to try a larger electric heli (Align, Logo, Outrage, etc.), you'll be blown away by the difference.

If you can only have a couple, just balance your choice with your budget and your field size(s). For me, it was a small space heli plus a field heli.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jody McConnell
Radio of choice:
JR X9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: -1

I too run the stock Align 410M servos and after 50 flights have had NO problems with them. I do run my servos at 5.4 volts as opposed to 6 and I ALWAYS check the servos for travel before I spin up the head.

You will love the 450 if you can budget for it.
Agusta 109a, Ecureil AS335, Bell 206B
Hughes MD500, Bell 222

Last edited by OMFC_Jody; 04-16-2010 at 08:22 AM.
OMFC_Jody is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

well, if you want a good 250 clone, I can recommend the HK250 alloy version. it is every bit as good as the align version- the only thing I would recommend you alter is the blades that come with the kit- I replaced mine with a set of CF blades (not very expensive in themselves) and it improved performance considerably!

I piked one up in the fall and have been flying it indoors all winter and the more I fly it, the more I like it. I find it doesn't handle winds like the 450's can, so flying it outdoors has been limited to calm mornings or evenings. It is however GREAT for indoors, and in addition to our club's indoor gym, I have been sneaking a few flights at work during break- its' a blast

you cant beat the $58 price-tag!
if you are interested, here is the link.

I also have all the other parts list if you are interested in getting all the other hardware- PM me if you want me to send it.

PS- I don't recommend the 250 for beginners- while it flies great in the hands of someone with experience, it is a bit squirrely compared to a 450 size heli.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darren W

Total Props: 4

Thanks for all the replies.

I do have a TRex 600 which I love. So I don't need a big heli. I spend a lot of time on the road for work. So I'm trying to figure out which would be a better heli to take with me. I have taken my B400 all over the province, and so I know how much room it takes. The 250 would take up less room in the vehicle. This is why I'm considering the 250 instead. Having said that, when I'm on the road, all I do is fly outside. Most motel rooms are a little too small for even hovering a 250. That's what I have an MSR for.

As for flying skill, I am beyond the hovering stage. I can hover tail in and side in without a problem and can do OK on the nose in. I fly circuits and can even do loops and rolls.

So a couple of you have mentioned servo problems with the align servos. What problems have people experienced? I thought that the servos that came with the 450 pro were metal geared digital servos. Is there another issue that people have had? I plan to sell my B 400, and I don't want to sell it with no servos. So I am expecting to buy servos for the new heli. Thanks again.

ve7nly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
RCC Apprentice
I am: Gar y

Talking Re: Heli recomendations

Hi Darren; I have two Align 250's that I use for indoor during the winter. Both are very steady flyers for me. I also have an Align 500. It is a very steady flyer but bigger and would take up more room when you travel. All the servos, speed controllers, motors, gyros and heli componets are Align. The receiver is a Spectrum and the transmitter is a DX7 heli.

I have had NO issue with anything in the 250's with over 35 flights on each heli. Servos are NOT the metal geared ones. I have enclosed a pic of my flying box for you to see what I go flying with. Calvin or Jason can verify how well the two birds fly as they both have flown them.

Looking in the box you will see the DX7, the 250, some screw drivers, 4 batterys, the Align tools, A wall transformer (12vdc outat 1.5 amps), the charger, a battery voltage monitor, an IR temp meter and my flying lanyard. It is the size of a medium tool box. The box cost me $20 usd.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
MAAC 15252
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_gwc4950.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	75191  
Retirement is a full time job.
ve1ahm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.