Difference in Lipo Brands from H.K. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #21
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Difference in Lipo Brands from H.K.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Tyler P View Post
Have you flown your 50cc-sized Sukhoi yet?
Not yet, too busy with F3A at the moment to spend any time on it.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #22
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Difference in Lipo Brands from H.K.

I opted to go electric for IMAC mainly because it was getting harder and harder for me to handle even my 50cc AW Yak 54. Charge 3 batteries, mix oil and gas, haul it to the field, down on my hands and knees to assemble the plane, and put in the fuel, and then down again to flip and flip the prop to get the engine started. And then fuel it up again, check the batteries, and flip flip again for each flight. OR haul a car battery and starter around all day. AND it was not too bad to haul it to the field when I had the van but now with a mid sized car, it's impossible to get it in, so a trailer would be required, and more $$ needed for that.

The electric fits nicely in the car, no gas stinking things up and no gas cans to haul to the field. The wings go on fast, no fueling, no flipping, just plug in the battery and away you go. NO dumping over flow of fuel onto the grass, NO spewing chemicals into the atmosphere, NO noise to speak of, NO slime or exhaust crud to clean off the airframe. AND it cost a fraction for this setup compared to my AW Yak 54.

Granted, i'm talking about a smaller plane @ 70" span but at least it's a manageable size! The motor, ESC/BEC and 2 6S battery packs cost less than $200, the airframe approx $275 tax & shipping in, and servos another $125.00. Misc items like leads, spinner & props perhaps another $50.

Thats a complete 70" span airplane ready to fly for less than $700.00 total. Perhaps add another $110 for a couple more battery packs and I'm done. Depending on how well I care for the Lipos, I have my fuel costs covered for at least the next couple of flying seasons. Not too shabby when you consider the AW Yak 54 setup was somewhere around $2200.00

I know guys love their large gassers and that's great but as said earlier, I needed to down size slightly which made things much more cost effective for me and much easier handling. All the other bits are just gravy!

I figure with 4 battery packs, (approx $220) no need to charge at the field during a competition. Its very rare if ever to fly more than 4 flights for a day of IMAC competition! So there again it becomes even easier. NO large batteries to lug around, or noisy gas powered generators needed. Just charge up at home, go fly, charge them back up when I get home!

Electrics aren't for everyone. But for me, it made it possible to once again join the IMAC competition, taking away most of the work involved just to be at a competition and participate. And it is for me, so much easier on the ole pocket book. And I am sure I'll have just as much fun flying my electric airplane as I did my gassers!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.