Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Ronnie W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
O.S .55AX not starting.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just tried starting my new engine(O.S .55AX) not much luck. It started and ran after the first tries for about 1 minute and I shut it off accidently, And never got it going again. All the basic stuff is covered, fuel to the carb, glow plug glowing, needle 2 turns out but no go. And now the spinner keeps spinning off with a crack sound like something metal has hit the prop. New to glow but am already pissed with it. A couple of attempts nitro shot out of the carb and into my face. I think i am ready to go back to electrics. What am I doing wrong?? youtube instructors make it look so easy
supercub1974 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
Re: O.S .55AX not starting.

Open your high speed more, start rich and leave it there for a couple of tanks. I believe your motor is too lean.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tom G

Total Props: 0

OK it sounds like your trying to start it when it is flooded. Remove the spinner and just use the regular prop nut and washer while breaking it in. One trick that helps when starting a flooded engine is to tap it backwards against compression.

If you have no idea where the needles should be, start at about 2 turns out on the high speed and also the low speed. Start the engine at about 1/2 throttle and then go right up to full throttle. You want to get the engine to a setting where it will stay running.

Does the engine kick at all?

The OS55 has a good reputation and they are good running engines. If you can find someone that knows glow engines close by that would be your best help.
TomG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

You might also be flooding the engine. The spitting fuel out of the carb to me sounds like the engine in getting flooded with all the priming and not getting it to start. Pull the plug and check to see if there is an issue there. With the plug out cycle the engine with a starter to get rid of the fuel. Put the plug back in and prime only a couple of flips. Engine should start no prob. Is the engine in a plane. Tank could be too high? Causing it to siphon nitro into the engine? not sure on that one.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13

Sounds to me as though you have completely flooded your engine and now have the crank case is full of raw fuel, likely from over choking trying to start it. Glow fuel blowing back out of the carb is also a sign of a flooded motor. You pose a serious threat of damaging your engine by spinning it with an electric starter if the case is full of fuel. A bent or broken connecting rod is a real possability.
Remove the glow plug and turn the engine upside down to allow as much of the glow fuel to drain out as possible. Then spin it over by hand a few times to clear out any remaining fuel. Reinstall the glow plug and hand spin it again by hand. If it all seems normal than try restarting it. You likely won't have to choke it as there will still be some residual fuel in the engine.
To choke your motor open the throtle all the way, place a finger over the carburator and flip the engine over a couple of times by hand. You should see the fuel in the supply line reach the carb very quickly. Once the fuel reaches the carb one or two extra flips is all you should need.
Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Our two stroke engines are simple in theory... if there is air, fuel and a lit glow plug you should get it to at least fire.

If you are spinning the prop off, you definitely have too much fuel in the case and are getting a hydraulic lock. Disconnect the ignitor, and pull the plug. Pinch or remove the fuel line from the carb nipple and spin over the engine (watch it as fuel will shoot out the glow plug hole).

Reconnect everythign up. Make sure the center of the fuel tank is no higher then the carb high speed needle level.

Open the main (high speed) needle 2 1/2 turns minimum. place the glow ignitor on, and with the carb set 1/3 open, try and start it. You may have to choke it to get fuel to fill the fuel line to the carb, but with an electric starter probably not.

Once it fires remove the starter immediately, and if it continues running, open the carb fully - and use the needle valve to slowly increase the rpm until the engine is running in a clean two stroke, but still rich and you will/should see some raw fuel coming out the exhaust. It will be oily and wet. If you quickly pinch and release the fuel line it should pick up rpm and drop back to the rich 2 cycle run. Run a tank through like that and then let the engine cool.

Next run, try to lean it out - use a tach if you are inexperienced - until the rpm doesnt increase, and then open the needle until the engine drops about 400 rpm. Leave it there and run a tank, allow the engine to run wide open for 30 seconds and the use the carb to slow it down and cool a bit, then open it up again.

Dont get discouraged. It takes practice and experience to get good at running glow engines, and you will only get there by trying.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

Sounds exactly like what thuebner and AJCoholic have said...... badly flooded. And trying to crank it over with an electric starter with all that raw fuel in there can cause serious damages to the engine. It is like a Hydra Lock situation.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 9

I just went through the no starting deal with my new .55AX. I tried everything, no luck. When you spun the prop around by hand, it almost felt like it was binding. With my tail between my legs, I went to the hobby shop, and they patiently explained things to me. I remounted my engine on my test stand, and we took it out behind the shop, guess what, my 4 year old glow driver battery was done. Now who wudda thunk that!! (yes I thought it was charged)

We used the shops glow driver with, and good battery, and the engine started with a chicken stick spin. I've got one tank through it, with 1 more to go, before it goes in a plane.

Stick to the basics, and all the advice from everyone, and you will get it running. Daren
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
Daren71 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Aside from the above superbe advice, I would encourage you not to give up. Yes, it takes some time to get familiar with glow engines and their tricks, but once you have some experience you'll love running nitro. That first low pass with the engine roaring will make you smile big. Take your time to break it in and be patient. The OS .55AX is an exceptional engine that will serve you well for many years.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (www.cmpra.com)
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13

I hydra locked my 55ax the first time I tried starting it as well. I choked it, hit it with an electric starter and SMACK. This was the first and only time I have ever locked an engine, but I new exactly what had happened. With a sick feeling in my belly, I removed the fuel and spun it over. I was very happy when nothing was damaged. It fired up right away and has been running perfectly ever since. I quickly learned to be extra carefull choking these motors, I have two 55ax's, as they draw fuel almost instantly.

Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.