Electric Aircraft and IMAC - Page 7 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #61
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Electric Aircraft and IMAC

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
haha, thanks Mike Not sure anyone else does lol

The chinese are getting to be big players in electric. Since we started 5 years ago its amazing the changes. A pack for 2m pattern was about $600, now you can get Turnigy's for $100 or so, even TP's are down to $380 or so. Hard to see where it will go in another 5 years, but the tech is still going. The new motor for pattern from Pletty is a direct drive inrunner at 92% efficient I think and lighter than we have now....should have a pre-production version this month I hope!

You are right 3-4 kW today is not a problem anymore, and can be done cheap, but the big big stuff is still way too expensive!

Originally Posted by mjws View Post
Chad, it's always fun reading your stuff.

I don't see any reason why an electric IMAC plane couldn't work well in the lower classes. With a little careful shopping you can stay somewhere around the same cost as gas up to 30%. Lets say 5000w which will smoke any 50cc gas plane out there (<~3500w). There's no way to match the pletty set up with HK components, but you can probably hit 90% for 20% of the cost.

The controller 200A ($189) and minimum packs (12s 6000mah $120) to get to 10kw (>100cc gas) are easy, but the motors (80-100) don't swing the same props we do on gas and are only good to 7000 watts or so. But thats not bad for $100. Pletty, Hacker, Neu can provide much more for a price.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #62
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Electric Aircraft and IMAC

Hey Jim, aka Scaleguy, thank you for the encouragement my friend. It will be good to see ole crowd again. I totally missed out last year. I may only be able to do the local contests this year, including Chatham if they have one, but I'm sure I'll see you somewhere.

I asked the question regarding rules for electric aircraft competing in IMAC to start off this thread. I didn't expect to go so far but I am happy it has. There has been some interesting & informative discussion and it has been kept civil, which I very much appreciate.

As I said right from the beginning of this thread, I started this year having had made up my mind to no longer fly IMAC. I always managed to have a somewhat decent aircraft but always sort of in the mid range of whats out there being used. That was dictated by my personal cost constraints but I was always able to enjoy myself at each and every IMAC event I attended. Its good to test one's self to be the best he can in any competition and its nice to place in the top 3 occassionally, but for me it was the theraputic value, a sort of self imposed physiotherapy, to get out of the house and do something that I enjoy. I couldn't ever afford the biggest and best of equipment but I competed and loved every minute of it.

So what changed? I discovered and thought of the possibility of going electric for a plane to compete with in IMAC. Even a 50cc plane was getting to be too much to handle physically! I had to go to a newer vehicle that was easier on the fuel budget. Now it became even more difficult for me as I had no vehicle capable of hauling around my large aircraft.

Even the most general assembly and maintenance became a hard physical chore. After the last contest I went to with my 50cc Yak, I spent the evening with heating pads on my sholder and lower back. I had a fairily new engine that was somewhat stubborn to get started and all the flipping of the prop played havoic on the muscles in my neck and sholder. It was just becoming harder and harder to cope with it.

Electric will be easier all the way around for me. Much less work and physical strain. At least I hope so, and I want to give it a try rather than sit home wondering how the guys are making out at the contest, only wishing I could be there. And its affordable on my limited budget. I figured out the entire cost for the airframe, electrics, & 2 battery packs, ( I already had the servos hiding in a box in my shop from a couple years back) at a total of less than $600 for everything. Again I say, far from the biggest and the best, but at least I will be there with my friends to compete in IMAC. And that cost was covered by being able to sell a few things here on RCC over the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I also wanted to say Thank You to everyone who has joined this discussion with their views and input into this topic. Very interesting and informative and most importantly, no one got heated up with a resulting flame war, which seems to happen in some of these discussions. Thank you for keeping it civil.

Please keep the discussion going if you have a mind to. I have enjoyed following it as I'm sure others have!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.