Hi-Tec karbonite gears - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Hi-Tec karbonite gears

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Whats the scoop on Hitec's karbonite gears, good ,bad or other wise. just wondering as I'll soon be needing some new servo's for the new Sebart Sukhoi, came in the mail today. ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: Hi-Tec karbonite gears

There are positive and negative points on them, depending on your perspective and type of flying.

They are considerably stronger and hold their tolerance a LOT longer than nylon gears, but are not indestructible. For me, that fact is desirable as I want a sacrificial element in my smaller heli control train, (the 450's have HS-65HB's). Under high load conditions you can run metal gears, but unless there is some other element to break under overload that energy get transferred farther into the system. In your situation things may be a bit different as your control system may not take the direct brunt of an impact.

That being said I'm running all metal gear Hitecs in my T600.

p.s. If you decide to go metal gear avoid the cheapies. A lot I've looked at do not run a synthetic isolation gear between the motor and output shaft, (transfers all electrical noise) and show wear VERY quickly.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Andris F
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

I stay away from Hitec Karbonite geared servos at all costs. My experience has been that they are far too fragile. Simple hanger rash broke a gear once. All I did was bump the control surface while unloading a plane from the truck. Another time I had one break mid flight for no apparent reason. All other non-karbonite Hitec servos have been very good...I must have at least a dozen 645's with never an issue.
chevelledude13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 14

I tested them on a 33% extra to see if they would hold up(test the limits)( 4x5475 real cheap servo but worked great)in the wings and 7975 on the tail 1 per elevator .they had more than enough power for any flying and were stupid fast.I was trying to get weight down as mutch as possible on this plane and was saving near 1 oz per servo over metal gears 1/2 lb total.they show no slop after 2 years of flying .but I have broken gears on hard landings .after my testing I would trust them only to 50cc and under,seems the only way I could break them was with a hard hit but the same hit would have no affect on a metal gear. I love these servos ,quiet /tight gears /light weight/dont wear quickly/just wish they would make them a little stronger so I could use them in bigger planes.but I would have not problem at all putting them in a 50cc.Roger
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.