Running in a OS 46AX - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike

Total Props: 0
Re: Running in a OS 46AX

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks McFlyer ill be sure too follow that, sounds like what i had in mind.
hopefully the WX clears here this weekend,i want too fire that engine up sooo bad. lol

Much appreciated.

What goes up!!!....must come down!!!
eastcoast78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by eastcoast78 View Post
Thanks Wayne i read in the Manuel the the suggested Prop sizes are 10.5x6, 11x6-8, 12x6-7 so i got 11x8 and a 12x7 and going too use the smaller one for break in.but now im thinking the best all around Prop would be 11x7,guess ill have too take a trip too the LHS lol
the air gap is about 1.5mm,im jsut waiting for the weather too clear up,i built the Gp Cherokee over the winter,and it seems this year its dragging on and on.... lol

1. i'm not a new guy!! i know how too run/tune a glow engine didn't you read my questions? i said "i'm on my second one from traxxas and the First one i got 8-9 gallons out of it"!!!!!!and i know how too run in a Glow Engine.that's not the questions i asked.
2. I did read the Manuel 3 times actually , no where do it say anything about a gap in the barrel for air at idle!!!it says "reduce idle too The position where the lowest possible r.p.m. ,with steady
running, is obtained.Set the throttle opening by
means of the throttle trim on the transmitter so that the lowest practical speed, without risk of the engine stopping,is obtained" its on IDLING ADJUSTMENT CHART.Page 22
I asked in curiosity of what the gap is, so i could Pre trim the Carb in the range of what people who have ran there .46Ax in to get a idea.
3.i guess seeing im trying too re-invent the wheel here lmao ,i cant seem too find in the Manuel where is says the RPM range for Peak performance.O wait i see it now after reading it for the 5th time its 17000RPM...Page 31.

Thanks for your Comments WornProp but if you don't understand the questions why try too Answer?

Why do old guys turn there Knowledge into ignorance

And i well apologize too all the other people on here who care too take the time and answer peoples question.

First of all us Old Guys have been around long enough to see lots of car guys come and go thinking they know everything about tuning an engine because they have as you say “Run a few gallons”. In the first place your engine selection and sizes in car apps are limited where as ours are much more varied by manufacturer and size. In fact the motor you are dealing with is most likely of a larger displacement than you have run previously and in your words it is your first aircraft engine. Because of the different manufacturers and the recommended fuel and prop sizes it is very important that you use the manual. If not you may damage your engine or it may not run reliable. A dead stick is much more of a crisis than is an engine out in a car. My wife understands the principal of an internal combustion engine it does not mean she will successfully be able to tune and make run reliably a model engine.

What we old guys are trying to tell you is that if you stick to the instructions your chances for success are better. When you become experienced with that engine then play around with the combination to suit the airframe and your style of flying. Over the years if your still with us and haven’t given up in frustration you will develop your own knowledge base from which you can draw.

First of all you have picked probably the most user friendly motor out there. You can’t go wrong with OS. If you follow the set up instructions as per the manual you will have an enjoyable and successful time at the field. Make up your own or keep your present attitude and you may be the entertainment for us Old Guys for the day.

No one is putting you down we watch new guys who struggle at the field because they think they know it all when all they have to do is follow the little instruction manual. Unlike cars there are many different manufacturers and engine sizes. The requirements fuel, prop, type of carbs, and set up are just as varied. Even we Old Guys read the manuals looking for any changes.

Proud to be an Old Guy! I go to the field and fly many different airframes and motors/engines from large gas to .049 alky as well as electrics. My models run without giving me any grief and all of my models are veterans of years of use. During my time at the field I always have time to help those who are having issues with tuning and trimming their models. I like to share all the knowledge that is rattling around in this old head but you cop an attitude and I can enjoy just as much watching you struggle at the field. I think I speak for most Old Guys so you just might want to check your attitude at the door.

Last edited by PurgatorY; 05-08-2010 at 10:13 AM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike

Total Props: 0

Thanks you for your input,you pointed out "old guy" ahh 6 times.
And... i apologized too all the other people on here who care too take the time and answer peoples questions. Not too single out a group based on Age Which you did. When it comes too attitude!!,the "old guy" remark was in response too your comment about New guys.So its aright for you too make Comments like that? but when someone gives it back too you,you get your Panties in Bunch.

I am not here too bicker or make this a battle of words i have better things to do. But alot of people strive for it.... I asked a few simple questions and none were in regards on (how too break/run a OS.46ax). But looking back at my Title of the Tread i can see where it would get Confusing!!!

Look at michel gravelle reply...its Not rocket Science is it?You think that just because Ive been running CAR engines for 7 or so years that i would not be able too run in a OS.
Read my 3 questions again...
And in regards too Attitude at the door,why don't you read your first reply...

And again anyone else who who reads this Post,I apologize for the way this Posted has turned out,I know i should of just brushed it off.

Thanks McFlyer, inhissteps and Wayne V for the advise.

What goes up!!!....must come down!!!

Last edited by eastcoast78; 05-08-2010 at 04:12 PM.
eastcoast78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.