Battery Explosions - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #51
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: R D

Total Props: 39
Re: Battery Explosions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Take a look at the bottom of almost every wikipedia article and you will see references which is the sources of information. The other thing to check out is the discussion tab which shows what the authors and editors have commented on or edited. It is a great way to see what didn't pass muster and could not be verified by a reputable source.

As with any source of information it is only as good as the original source of the material. Encylopedias have been printed with tons of false information yet people trust them far more than wikipedia which at least lists its sources.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #52
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Good points regarding wikipedia teenage son tells me that they are not allowed to use Wikipedia as a reference source due to possible untruths.
mark_ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #53
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
I noticed the clay pot video didn't show a LiPo fire . That leaves some doubt in my mind as to how good it really is. It shold cerainly insulte well if it remains in tact. Maybe I missed another video or picked the wrong one.
To me this one looks pretty convincing:
Foxtrot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #54
kirk winter
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kirk W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 8.5

Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
I'm using Makita Industrial Lithium Ion cells in my transmitters (Multiplex 7.2 volts) and my flight packs with a BEC to lower the voltage.
They are also great for electric starters (4 cells).
Ive seen these battery starters at my field. Where can ya get said batteries? used tool stores? new batts? Im so tierd of lugging my heavy flight box out all the way to the starting line. Would be nice to leave it on the bench and just bring out that battery starter.
When flying inverted, down is up and up is expensive.

ALIGN Trex500CF - ALIGN Trex450seV2 - BLADE 4503D, BLADE SR, BLADE mSR, BLADE 120sr - Flyzone POLE CAT - Parkzone Piper Cub
kirk winter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #55
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Kirk, how about designing your own minimalist starter caddy? Just the equipment that you need at the flight line to start and tune your motor?

Until I went electric, I found that my field box kept accumulating bits and pieces and more stuff that I had to lug to the field "Just in case".

I do remember on flight box manufacturer (or kit-maker) that put the starting equipment (battery, power panel and starter) in a self-contained section that clipped on to the main box when you had to lug the whole item around, but which merely came off when you needed to start. Worked great for those fields where you had seperate pitting and starting stations....

Replacing the lead-acid battery with the new cells is great as well. Just remember that you need to have series and parallel to match the 12 volts and 7 amps capabilities to make a fully-swappable solution.

Have fun, regardless of your decision!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #56
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

We used a 3S/2150mAh lipo not that long ago to run a starter. Seemed to work fine, it was a .40 sized motor. There's a thread out on the web somewhere detailing how to make a self contained starter, no flight box required.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.