It flys - It flys! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

Total Props: 0
It flys - It flys!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well after a month of delays due to lousy weather finally had the chance today to maiden my Mauler.
The Mauler powered by and HB61 Blitz charged down the runway and was airborne in no time. The controls were set kinda by the manual and seemed to be ok although I did crank in about 30% expo just in case.
Think for the next flight will put in low rates for ailerons about 80% but leave the elevator as is.
The plane flies great although I needed about 5 click of down trim for hands off level flight. Never needed more than 3/4 throttle. Did not really wring it out on this first flight. Just flew around getting a feel for it.
Landing was no problem. Slowed down nicely with no signs of a stall and then it settled right in touched on the mains and rolled a bit and then came to a stop.
Now that is out of the way can concentrate on flying this bird.
Although I expect that as usual my first landing is always the nicest and the next dozen or so will be bouncy bouncy, but i guess thats how it goes. May also try shimming the engine mount for more downthrust in order to get rid of some of the down trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mauler.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	77598  
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
Re: It flys - It flys!

Nice looking plane...

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

You don't see Mauler's very often
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

nice looking bird..congrats..
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

Total Props: 0

Thanks guys for the comments. I don't normally post about something as insignificant as the maiden flight of a plane - even a warbird! But could not resist in this case.
To explain I like warbirds and have a preference for the more obscure ones, ie not a fan of Mustangs and Spitfires as everyone seems to have one. So one day I came across this little gem and it certainly filled the bill in terms of being unique.
It was made by Flyboy Models. I did some searches and only found 2 other threads where some guys had the plane but not a lot of information and certainly not a lot of interest.
Then it came on sale for $93.00 WITH mechanical retracts. I could not resist. Heck even if it was basically junk I reasoned there was enough there that i could bash it into something reasonably airworthy.
Well you can imagine my surprise when it arrived at how good the quality actually was, so I just decided to throw in an engine I have had sitting for over 25 years but still NIB.
As indicated in my first post the plane flew well on the maiden flight. I have since put in 4 more flights and as the new old HB starts to work in it really moves. At 1/2 throttle its very fast and more than that I can't keep up.
The manufacturer suggests a .75 for authority but they must be kidding because with a .60 at full throttle its like a pylon racer.
Unless what they meant to say was a 70-75 4 stroker......hmmmm think I have one of those laying around here somewhere..... This may even work as the plane only weighs 7 lbs. I would think a 70 4 stroker should be able to haul that around at a more realistic scale speed. Any thoughts on this theory?
Anyway my 4 flights were a blast and as I predicted each landing got worse until the last one when I ripped the left gear out. Cheap mechanicals. As I want this to be an everyday flyer I am going to convert it to fixed gear and forget it.
So all in all for $93 I am happy. A good lightweight unique warbird that is a great flyer for very little money. What more could I ask for.
Hmmmm I see that Flyboy has the Boulton Paul Defiant on sale now. Another unique bird for the collection. Now where is my credit card......
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Wow. Byron. Great looking plane, it is not one of the cookie cutter planes we keep seeing.

Glad you got 'er to go. And for less than 100 bucks!!! Nice!
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.