RC headache intro/rant - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Red face RC headache intro/rant

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello, I'm brand new to this board here and new to flying (though not new to the RC world as I still do rc boating.) My name's Sparky and live in the Fraser Valley in B.C. I'm a university student, set to graduate this fall, and enjoy video games and animation as well.

I've been lurking here for about a month or so and thought I'd finally say hi and have a bit of a vent to. I currently have an RC headache. I came into the idea of flying with extremely good intentions. Father/Daughter bonding time. (I'll make note here that I am the daughter.) Is it sad that the last time I remember bonding with him was back in 94' when the Canucks were playing for the stanley cup? While we have some things we both like, they aren't exactly easy to bond over (different tastes in books and computer games, etc.) So I thought this was something we could do and learn together. Plus with him working in vancouver and me in university, our time is really split.

My dad used to do control line flight. Me and my sister busted one of his planes back when I was 9, and he busted the next one all on his own. (The plane thought it could imitate a Lawn Dart. It was sadly mistaken.) That was when I was 16. It's been 11 years now and he hasn't touched a plane since but I know he misses it. So I approached him with the idea for father's day/b-day and he was surprised and just gave me a smile that I hadn't seen in a long time. I finally got something right for once. So then came the research for starting out and I know where I stand now and I was finally able to nail down the models I liked since I'll be doing this as well. Now comes the headache. Our local hobby shop is charging twice as much as what the manufactures does, the online store I was haunting got an F rating by the BBB and any other hobby stores in my area are 'craft/kiddy' hobby stores.'

So yeah, it's been difficult to find that 'special plane' and I know what I want in my mind. It's just giving me a headache right now. *sigh* On top of that my younger sister and my own mother are jealous that I am doing this! o_O I extended the invite but they declined. Well if you don't wanna join then don't get jealous! Plain and simple.

Anyone else had/have this trouble when they first started? or have a similar headache at this moment?
Sparky16 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 13
Re: RC headache intro/rant

Thats kind of a funny/sad story..I think..So your having a problem finding a decent place to get your dad a plane?.Did i get that right?.Which airplane excalty are you looking to buy?.Or maybe thats part of the question as well?.At any rate welcome to RCCanada

Last edited by xv-townboy; 05-18-2010 at 04:00 AM.
xv-townboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

www.hobbywholesale.com good online store. Edmonton based.

Both good online stores. I am not from BC so I can not comment on any store front businesses there.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Wow , ................ very nice .

My thoughts are ,.................. go visit a club site ( flying field ) , this is always a good motovation . Just a thought

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

I agree with Michel.
Go visit a club or two. See what the guys are doing. See where they shop and get their stuff.
Most are good people and want to help new hobbiests get strated. No one wants new members to fail. We love to see success.
Pay a visit let them know your intentions and ask questions.
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Hey welcome I am the opposite I am the dad and have a daughter 9 that shows the interest. For me it sure is a great way to bond. as the saying says Go Girl Go. Knowing what you are looking for would help. I have been in the hobby for over 35 years and done a lot of building. I think best for you and your dad ARF's would be best to start Almost Ready to Fly.Here is a site I buy 90% of my stuff from and even though the last two orders for some reason where slow in shipping I still recommend them. I have five or six of their planes and none of the cost over $100 shipped to my door. And are a very good bang for the buck . You could buy everything needed to get a plane into the air for $200. plus whatever your choice of radio is. This includes plane, servos, receiver, battery, motor, speed control, prop,etc.. Under normal circumstances if you place an order with them at 6.00 pm your time at sunday night you should/ could have it the following monday/thurs.You need to register and sign in first as the prices you see un signed in are usually higher. The link is
This plane flies very nice I liked it so much I asked for another as a Christmas present so I now have two of them. The only thing this site doesn't really have is a Trainer and sorry to say you and your dad will need one of these to get started. There usually are a few listed on here in the classified section . I have led you to the electrics as I feel that this is the way for you to go,but of course the choice is yours. Enjoy and wish the old guy a Happy Fathers Day
To a tree, balsa wood and MonoKote taste just like chicken!

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

Here's a great one to start with. Many of our club members have started with it. Comes complete ready to fly including the radio. Foam is tougher than he## to take in a few dorkins with little damage that can be repaired on the spot with hot glue.
I'd recomend finding a club as most of them have training programs to get you started. They can help trim the plane out for you before you fly it as I've seen to many fledglings try to fly an out of trim plane and when it veers of, no idea what happened when they pick up the pieces.
At any rate, the both of you have fun, that's what it's all about.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276

Last edited by Flypaper; 05-18-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

try onestop hobbies out your way..or rcpitstop in langley they both have good selection and good service.
tryed to get my daughter interested into flying but no go..she does however run the camera rather well for a 12yo.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Ken Currell
I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0

Wercome to R/C Canada.

Use this link to get in touch with the club that is closest to your home. They will give you lots of help.

Just zoom in on the map to your area.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8

Hi Sparky16,

I was out of the hobby for about 30 years. I expected getting back in would be easy, but it wasn't - I had the initial problems that all new pilots do with orientation etc. However, being challenging to learn to fly again made it all the more rewarding and gave me a great sense of accomplishment when I finally felt comfortable again.

My recommendation for you and your father is to visit an active model flying field. First talk to the local club and find out which days are their "training days", training is usually free for club members. I would suggest you go out on an active flying day and also on one of their training days. Once you find out the days, make a "date" with dad to go out and visit the field and meet some of the people - I think this will "spark" interest again. Also, you may also want to attend a local club meeting to meet the local flyers, the friends you make in the hobby will make it all that more enjoyable.

I would also suggest you ask (by posting here) for the location of the different local flying fields, this would also get you an introduction to some of the local club members. Once you make contact with a couple of members, get them to meet with you at the field to show you around and introduce you to the other members at the field. By pre-introducing yourself they will know you are serious and will give you a more detail tour of the field and explain what is happening around you.

As far as purchasing equipment, you may want to look at the "For Sale" section here - make sure you check out the sellers feedback before agreeing to buy anything - typically I normally only buy from people close enough that I can meet and see the condition of the item before final purchase. Again, ask the local club what they would recommend for a trainer, in fact they may even know of someone in the club who has one for sale at a good price.

You may also want to ask a local club member to borrow their latest MAAC magazine, Model Aviation Canada, and check out the ads with their "specials" and toll free numbers. Also check the websites listed in the ads for specials. When you call, make sure you do not place a backorder if the item is not in stock, it may take a while before it comes back into stock and may hold up your order.

Another suggestion I would make is to buy a "flight simulator" for your home computer for you and your dad to learn with. Check with you local club members, someone may have one for sale at a reasonable price. Make sure it is a good one. The benefit is that crashes on flight simulators do not cost anything while you learn.

I hope this helps, and always remember to:

Last edited by Wayne MIller; 05-18-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: clarifying
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.