Sad and unfortunate situation - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: grant

Total Props: 1
Sad and unfortunate situation

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ya know, we, as Rc flyers, have enough problems with keeping flying sites, attracting new members, issues with insurance, maac etc.Not all of bad, just frustrateing.

Got a seriously frustrateing situation brewing here locally.I am not gonna mention names, and the location, but if you look at my profile, you will get a general idea of the location.

Locally, we have a club.And a flying field.And have very few, if anny issues to deal with.At least none that I am aware of.Pretty good bunch of guys. All willing to help out. Give advice etc. We even have a designator trainer.

But recently, there has been a feller, who is not a member of the club, and is causeing some problems.

To start with it has been sugested that this feller join the club.Makes sense. why not? Well, he got mad and had basically said, that he would not because he wouldn't pay club fees or maac dues.Besides why join a club when he has his own "secret" field.. or can go to a neighbouring town, and fly out at the airport for free??? Ok fine...

He has been bugging ppl, at the club, wanting advice, but then never listens to the advice.He is going to do things his way anyways.But then has the nerve to bitch and whine when things go wrong, because, he decided to do it his way, instead of listening to the advice he was given.

This same feller, has been flying for a few years, though I am not exactly sure how many, but from what I understand, his flying skills are marginal at best.He can take off, he can land and he can fly back and forth.. thats about it.Basic maneuvers beyond that.. forget it. Loops, rolls... or even a simple horrizontal figure 8... forget it.The plane he flys, those are not "scale" maneuvers according to him.

And to make matters worse, according to this feller, you can only fly in the spring. There is only a handfull of decent flying days, and best when there are no bugs out yet...oookkk...

That being said, Live and let live I say.. to each there own.What ever floats ur boat, turns your crank, gets you to nirvana the best.. what ever.... But now here is the disturbing part..

This same gentle man, has now decided he should train other ppl to fly...He apparently now has 2 students, and is recomending not only the wrong airplanes for trainers, but also that these two gentlemen, DO NOT join the club.. and that they DON"T get ahold of anybody in the club, and most definatly DO NOT contact the designated club trainer for advice or training.

And while the planes that he found for them are decent deals.. a hots and a stick.. complete with engines... these are not a proper "trainer". A proper "trainer" (for those who are looking to get into this hobby) is a high wing, slow flying airplane.

The sad and unfortunate thing that is going to happen here is, and I have seen this happen way too many times in this hobby is, these two gentlemen, are going to follow this fellers advice, more than likely distroy these planes.. and maybe a few more in the process, in very short order, and end up wasteing a bunch of money, and get a bad taste for this hobby.. and walk away... Very sad indeed.

My advice, to these 2 gentlemen, if they read this is, and to anybody else, thinking about this wonderfull hobby is this...

PLEASE.. if nothing else, seek advice from others in the hobby. Visit your local hobby shop, visit your local club.Ask questions on this web site and others on the net.Get involved with others who fly, build, and compete etc.Learn and get informed.

Really, what have you got to lose by learning and getting informed?Or meeting other ppl with sum advice to give or experience to pass along? Hopefully it will make your learning more enjoyable, and less frustrateing.

And if, in the end, you chose to have this feller train ya, well.. great...hope all goes well.

To the rest of all the members on Rccanada.. my appologies for my rant.I just see a situation here, thats gonna go bad, real quick.. and for no reason what so ever.

Happy flying guys.. have a safe and crash free summer
happy flying
juice90 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Re: Sad and unfortunate situation

If you know these two gentlemen there is no reason that you cannot invite them out to see what a club is all about. If there is no interest at this time you can mention that if things don't work out where they are at they are always welcome to try a free introductory lesson at the club. Be sure to have your best and most personable instructor take them under his wing if and when they do show up.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
chris p
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris p

Total Props: 1

verry unfortunate ,that situation.
I remember when I was starting out,I wanted help from more than one person and in a club setting there is usually more than one willing to give advice.

asfor not joing maac, lets see just starting out (say the worst) flying in a park and hit a kid seriously injure them,get sued go to jail or something.

join maac fly at proper field, get proper training and if something does happen you have insurance.

good luck and hope the check out ALL thier OPTIONS.
chris p is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30

I am in complete agreement with Dennis!

Talk to these two newcomers and show them the light!
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Hi Juice90. I read your post and can sympathize with your situation. Unfortunately, it is not anything new, I'm sure this happens at all clubs from time to time.

Some personal wisdom I have learned over the years:

1) Jackasses abound all over the place. Not just RC clubs. Anyone who belongs to other clubs and organizations will agree with me. Nothing you can do but ignore them when they pop out of the woodwork every couple of years.

2) The "Secret Field" thing..... This is also not new, as long as people want to avoid member dues, they will seek these "Secret Fields" and fly there. If they are happy to fly alone or with a select group of friends with who knows what kinds of hazards or risk, more power to 'em!

3) If I were on the Board of Directors, I would ban this guy from setting foot on the club field since he is such a negative influence.

4) As for the the poor souls this guy is "helping", they will pay the price unfortunately. There is nothing you can do about that but keep the club in a a positive public profile at the Local Hobby Shops and someday these guys will smell the coffee and come around to their senses.

Just my 2C
Max is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 7

Re: your "problem" person.
If he does not want to join the club, does not want MAAC, and insists on making problems, then tell him to PI$$ off. Ban him from the property. You do not need people like that. Suggest that he go fly at his "Secret" location and don't come back.

As for the newbies, encourage them to join, hook them up with a competent instructor, and you will have some new "club members"

Good luck.
Dave Collis
Pitt Meadows B.C.
maac 37241
mogman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Re: your "problem" person.
If he does not want to join the club, does not want MAAC, and insists on making problems, then tell him to PI$$ off. Ban him from the property. You do not need people like that. Suggest that he go fly at his "Secret" location and don't come back.

As for the newbies, encourage them to join, hook them up with a competent instructor, and you will have some new "club members"

Good luck.
In full agreement

''engine hoarder''

Last edited by williame3590; 05-18-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: spell
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Phil Schulte
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 3

It is disturbing when someone feels it is there duty to go against the grain. Hopefully the new rcers will reconsider learning from somebody that shows such disrespect. Joining a club that has a good quality membership is very important. When we can learn from a group of people and take all there experience into account it can be so much more fun and the learning curve is much steeper. Hopefully the new fliers will contact someone from the club for help. As for flying at a club field without maac thats not cool and puts your field and club at risk if he is alowed to continue. Best of luck. Phil
pschulte is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

Well said Max
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Sad. And people like me wish they had a club nearby to join so I don't end up at my own secret field (the driveway). I would think that sooner or later they will get tired of cutting the grass or getting rained on because there is no shelter or one of the many other down sides of flying alone or in small numbers. Invite the other two gentlemen and be friendly if they choose not to join then you probably don't want them.

Take er easy Grant. George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.