Fire Ban... what do you do? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #31
RCC Contributor
I am: Len G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 3
Re: Fire Ban... what do you do?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Andrew,
When I was running a local jet rally here on the prairies in Sept of 2008 we had an unusually late crop still on the fields and very dry surrounding the field. It was decided to postpone the event as any fire out here with our winds and the dry nature of the crop, would have resulted in a catastrophic disaster, likely ending both the club's tenancy and possibly model turbines in our region or even across Canada. The collateral damage of such a fire loss would affect all our MAAC and local insurance attitudes towards turbine ops.

That being said it still does come down to a personal decision to fly or not to fly. I am glad you chose as you did. In my case the night before the event we had a deluge of rain and we ended up doing some turbine ops with the puddles on the runway! My sense of the issue you faced would be exactly as you have done...wait for the fire ban to become less restricted. Always better being safe than saying sorry to an insurer/landlord/neighbour etc.
Len is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #32
RCC Contributor
I am: Sheena M

Total Props: 0

I was an observer at Princeton in 2004 and was impressed with the people and skill and response in putting out that fire. In the interior in BC we have had our share of dry seasons lately. One recent year, perhaps 2004 we basically agreed gassers weren't flying for a while and earlier we had some with fire extinguishers beside the models. We were nervous and it is quite open around our flying area. I think you have made a terrific though difficult decision.
One other point that may be important to you is that out here, should you start a fire through negligence (whose opinion??) you can get the bill for the firefighting. One of our developers found that out while clearing a little bush one year.
ss40a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 AM   #33
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
I know Dennis - and the sad thing is, I see people throwing lit cigarette buts out the car/truck window EVERY day... I know to start a fire there (1) has to be a crash in which the jet is in bad enough shape to burst the tanks and (2) the engine has to be running still and (3) its got to have landed in a place where there is something to catch fire. I know the risks (especially with the types of jets I fly) are small. Yet, there are risks.

I dont know - I think maybe yesterday I was still thinking it was OK to fly, and wanted to hear others opinions. But quickly after starting the thread I came to the conclusion its not worth the risk. Maybe just talking about it makes one think of all the issues - and thats what I needed to do. WHo knows..

Hashing this stuff out is good - it makes you think.

In the end Andrew it always comes down to your personal comfort zone and elevating the welfare of everyone concerned above your personal wants or needs. Itís not much fun flying even for display purposes if you cannot relax and enjoy what you are doing. I applaud your decision to err on the side of safety.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #34
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Well, I am in Kirkland Lake today and its raining cats and dogs! The storm is moving west, and the forecast for Timmins is 1/2" rain by tonight... and possibly more tomorrow.

We need it man, more fires springing up. Thanks for the rain dance, Bill

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #35
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

Hey no problem, anytime.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.