General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Martin T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Sig 4 star 40

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Getting ready to cover a 4 star 40, but I feel the wing is a little flimsy. Just wondering if it would be worth putting 1/32 or 1/16 balsa across the whole leading edge span for strenghth and to keep wing straight. Any input would be great. Has anyone done this and if so how did it effect the plane if any.

martintucker19 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Sheena M

Re: Sig 4 star 40

I did it on a 4*60 only for appearance. It complicated the wing root area. I don't think the 4*'s need it for strength. I've seen lots flying with the ribs showing under plastic on the LE.
ss40a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 3

The covering will add a lot of stiffness to the wing so I wouldn't worry about it.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

While it's not required, a real benefit would be that your airfoil between the ribs ahead of the main spar would be true. As it is, the covering sags so the wing is thinner there.

After you've build the wing is not a great to time to make the mod. You'll now have sheeting which is higher than the tops of the ribs behind the spar. To fix that problem, you would have had to either lower the tops of the ribs in front of the spar or add cap strips to the ribs and a trailing edge cap to maintain the proper, identical height for the covering overall. Otherwise, there will be a step where the LE sheeting ends.

It's easy to change before you build the wing by simply cutting down the ribs ahead of the main spar and increasing the depth of the leading edge cut outs by an amount equal to the thickness of your sheeting. Then you won't even need to add any cap strips and your overall wing dinesions will be identical to what they would have been had you not made the change.

Perhaps an easier solution at this stage would be to add a false rib midway between every two existing ribs. These would only go from the leading edge to the main spar. That will certainly strengthen your wing and provide less sag in the covering with negligible weight gain. You could add two, equally spaced, in each rib bay to increase the effect.

If you look at a lot of WWI biplane wing designs, you'll see the false rib technique used. A perfect example is the Sopwith Pup. BUSA does that on their 1/3 size model of it as well.

In any case, the easiest thing is to just leave it alone. You'll find the wing plenty strong enough and no adverse aerodynamic effects as designed. Those planes work great just the way they are. Mods will satisfy your inner purist and help to distinguish your 4*40 from everyone else's bird.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Kinda depends on what you're covering it with. Good quality covering like Ultracote would give it plenty of strength. With lighter material like Monokote it might be worth beefing up the structure...I don't find you can get it as tight. Not sure about dope, no experience there. Good luck.
Dean Myers
MAAC 81138
CMPRA Calgary (
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Roderick M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

I built my 4*40 a number of years ago as per the kit plans, It has taken it's share of bumps and has stood up well. I don't think there is a strength problem with the 4*40 wing. I used Monocote to cover it.
Rod is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
RCC Apprentice
I am: herman j

I've built a 4*60 and covered it with sig aerocote no mods to the wing and no structural problems after 2 seasons.
hevee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: grant

I have an old mid star 40. I assume it is pretty much the same wing. Put that one thru heck and back, and stood up very well.Covered with ultracoat, and no problems with the wing or how it flies.
happy flying
juice90 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice

I like the sagging cover effect on my 4*40 wings and the wings are stiff enough after the application of the iron on covering.

The 4*40 was designed as a 40 size plane and it flies happily w/ the OS40FP.
VERTOL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
RCC Apprentice
I am: Greg B

I had a 4 star 40 some years back, built it as per the plans never had any issues with the wing, covered it with monocote I believe . Flew it with an OS .40 SF with a tuned pipe, was a nice flying plane. I happened to stall it while coming in for a landing one time and pretty much did it in.
Swifty is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.